UC San Diego Freshman Class of 2027 Waitlist/Appeal Thread

My son committed to UW, but later got off the waitlists at UCSC and UCSD. He declined UCSC and isn’t all that thrilled with SD. He’s convinced the social scene is death - that students are always studying, etc. Comparing UW and UCSD - both are excellent institutions and I’m sure his education would be great at both. But for us, it’s hard to ignore the instate tuition for UCSD (we live in SoCal). The cost difference is close to $25k a year. If money were no object, UW is fabulous…beautiful campus, very much a college experience (sports, social life). Anyone have any insight into the UCSD social life? Is it as dead as what I’ve read online?

It has the nickname uc socially dead. I think if your son feels that UW is a better match for him academically and socially, he should def consider that

1 Like

Although both articles are about a year old, it does give a better perspective of UCSD’s social scene but if your son has the “socially dead” perceptions vs. UW, then it might not make a difference. My attitude is that a student’s social life is what they make of it.

https://enewspaper.latimes.com/infinity/article_share.aspx?guid=347e90a8-d0b0-4ec6-9f74-e865a64b1b1b#:~:text=So%20stop%20saying%20UCSD's%20initials,outgrowth%20of%20UCSD's%20STEM-iness.

1 Like

I have 2 sons who went to UCSD. One graduated 2 years ago and another is finishing his junior year. Both were able to find a social life. My older son lived in the dorms for his freshman year and there was a definitely a “party” scene environment there. Unfortunately, my junior missed dorm life cuz of COVID but has made a great group of friends.

3 Likes

what major he got accepted?

2 Likes

Environmental Studies/Econ

has anyone’s review and submit area been removed?
not sure if it’s a bug, but I don’t see mine on my phone (ios16 on google chrome)

As a family of SC and UW graduates, I would say we have collectively experienced campus environments with density (SC) and spaciousness (UW). UCI is more like UW, intentional and perfectly planned spaces. We visited UCSD recently and it was somewhat disjointed so very glad to know there’s plans to further build and improve the campus’ cohesiveness.

2 Likes

straight from the cds. not looking good for the rest of us waitlisted people :sob:

4 Likes

I am also confused why they waitlisted 50k people…makes no sense to me. like previous years they waitlisted half the amount.

3 Likes

Usually they WL 10k or bit more

1 Like

Look at the history at the top of this discussion. Close to 20K+ since 2019 but 50K is crazy. The preliminary numbers I posted when setting up this discussion thread were close to being accurate which I have now updated with the final CDS numbers.

1 Like

i believe it’s trickle now. My daughter’s friend got off the waitlist yesterday, biochem major.

still waiting as a public health major

1 Like

Will the next wave only be rejections because they know how many they accepted?

has anyone seen anything else for cog sci?

mine is still there

Still nothing as an International Studies - International Business Major.

will she be accepting the offer? and do you know how long she has to accept?

she accepted it.