UC Santa Barbara Class of 2025 — Regular Decision

You guys helped me so much yesterday, thank you for believing in me !!!

4 Likes

Pretty much same as my son who got waitlisted for CS. He had even more AP-equivalents (dual enrollment college classes). Also never got less than an A.

I hope you get other good choices. There are so many, and college will be great no matter where you go.

Happy household - D21 accepted to Pre-Communications major. Happy to see her years of hard work paying off. 4.0 UW 4.56 W don’t know UC gpa, ranked 3rd in her class, tons of extracurriculars and volunteer work including founding a school club and being Head Editor of her yearbook for third year. She worked hard on PIQs and had strong essays. Now just waiting to hear from Berkeley, UCLA and 8 other schools. Congrats to all who were accepted. To those waitlisted or rejected, please don’t get down on yourself. This year seems to be an unusually crazy year in terms of who gets accepted or not. Obviously the majority of you are qualified or you wouldn’t have put time or effort into applying. It truly is the about making the most out of where you end up that will determine how successful you are going forward.

1 Like

Not sure, the past few years are apparently all over the place so it’s hard to draw a trendline. I couldn’t find the CDS for 2019-2020, but in 2017-2018, 6650 were offered a place and they took 960 off the list. 960, 14, ?, and 6100? Impossible to predict this year. Because there were so many more applicants across the board, across the country, it’s hard to know how it will all shake out. At the risk of using the overused word of 2020, “unprecedented,” it kind of is. Word on the street is that applicants applied more broadly this year; that may mean that more folks got into more selective schools that they might not have had it not been test-optional, leaving “down stream” schools to have more openings for the WL folks. I could also spin it the other way, so there’s really no way to tell. I wish I had better predictions for you, but this cycle is really different from others. Good luck!

1 Like

Thank you so much, same to your son! I am probably going to go to UNC Chapel Hill! I got into their honors program as well!

2 Likes

Not a numbers person, so correct me if I’m wrong, but Common Data Set for 2020 looks like they eventually admitted like 99% of their waitlist! If so, that’s very promising news for those waitlisted this year, when they are doubtless relying on even deeper lists, no?

http://bap.ucsb.edu/institutional.research/common.data.set.2020.21.pdf

Could you share stats? Also, why do you think UCSC is better than UCSB? Is it because of the scholarship? UCSB appears to have a higher position than UCSC on most ranking lists.

Yay!!! Congratulations!!

UC’s do not give specific numbers of admits by major only by College. CS is the most popular major at UCSB and the Engineering department is small in comparison to the other UC’s. Based on the 20-21 Student profile, UCSB had 543 enrolled CS majors overall out of 1591 Engineering students.

Please give to me. I will give half of my first pay check.

Thank you for the link. That 99% number doesnt make a lot of sense to me.

They may or may not be. It seemed that last year, many people deferred or took a gap year, not wanting to start college online vs in person. This year, not only are people more confident that their freshman year will be in person, but there are all those folks who either deferred or didn’t take their spot last year and reapplied. I believe that’s one contributing factor to the huge increase in applicants overall. I think last year, they had to reach deep into their list to fill their enrollment goals because of COVID. I think this year’s hard to predict.

1 Like

You will hear separately from CCS (College of Creative Studies). Do not assume you did not get in because you didn’t hear yet.

Regarding sending the SAT/ACT scores, this is the additional criteria: If you choose to submit test scores as part of your application, they may be used to determine your eligibility for the California statewide admissions guarantee, as an alternative method of fulfilling minimum requirements for eligibility or for course placement after you enroll.

Got in OOS for Pre-Political Science

3 Likes

Don’t let ranking websites fool you. All UC’s have a near identical curriculum and a very similar workload. I talked to a UCSB admission representative awhile back and one of the questions I asked was how UCSC compared to UCSB. She told me that all UC’s provide roughly the same education and that I should chose my school based on where I feel happy. US News ranks schools using criteria such as average alumni giving rate and faculty compensation: aka, things that don’t resemble the quality of undergraduate education whatsoever.

Anyways, I had a 4.75W GPA, 4.0UW GPA, 35 ACT, 800 Math II, 800 Physics. I’m choosing UCSC over UCSB because I truly felt happy there and having Silicon Valley 30 minutes away is too valuable to pass up. However, if I get into Berkeley I will go there.

4 Likes

6103 out of 6342 waitlisted students were admitted. Why do you think it doesn’t make sense?

Not to rain on anyone’s parade, but the wait list statistics for UC Santa Barbara are more grim than for UC Santa Cruz (see this post I made earlier re: UCSC wait list stats: **uc santa cruz class of 2025 discussion** - #574 by 20172021)

Here is the wait list data for UCSB from the common data sets (CDS) found on this page: http://bap.ucsb.edu/institutional.research/ (most recent data); and also on the Internet Wayback Machine: Wayback Machine (for years prior to 2020-21). (I couldn’t seem to find a one-stop-shop page with all Common Data Sets for UCSB on one page, so I had to utilize the wayback machine.) The data comes from question C2 of the CDS.

Data is listed in this order:
Common Data Set year (CDS 20XX-XX)
Number of qualified applicants offered a place on the waiting list (Off)
Number accepting a place on the waiting list (Acc)
Number of wait-listed students admitted (Adm)
Calculated % of students admitted off waiting list (% Adm)

CDS 2020-21
Off: 9,885
Acc: 6,342
Adm: 6,103
% Adm: 96% (Highest admit rate off wait list due to COVID-19.)

CDS 2019-20
Off: 8,863
Acc: 5,866
Adm: 603
% Adm: 10%

CDS 2018-19
Off: 7,856
Acc: 4,883
Adm: 14
% Adm: 0.2% (Lowest admit rate off wait list.)

CDS 2017-18
Off: 6,650
Acc: 4,000
Adm: 960
% Adm: 24%

CDS 2016-17
Off: 5,830
Acc: 3,252
Adm: 1,351
% Adm: 42%

CDS 2015-16
Off: 5,006
Acc: 2,910
Adm: 278
% Adm: 6%

CDS 2014-15
Off: 3,956
Acc: 2,332
Adm: 152
% Adm: 7%

1 Like

thats a bit too high. but I guess its the truth. if im not mistaken berk had a 60% wait list acceptance rate. covid-19 caused alot of these waitlist acceptances. dont fret!!

Is psych an impacted major at UCSB? I was accepted, in-state