UC Santa Barbara Class of 2025 — Regular Decision

Its predicted the same pattern will occur for waitlist acceptances this year as well.

Check the common dataset for each year section C2, this is where the Waitlist information is listed.

http://bap.ucsb.edu/institutional.research/campus.profiles/

Does UCLA consider 2nd major choice? If not, why does it ask us to list 2 majors on the UC application? Thanks.

My son is in the same boat. Just curious - when you say regents finalist - did you hear from Cal after your regents interview? We are under the impression that regents decisions will not come out until the regular decision release date.

Son accepted for Political Science!
Test optional (none available to take)
in state
4.0 UW 4.39 W
2 AP classes no testing
8 dual enrolled UC transferable classes

3 Likes

ok i’m feeling better abt the waitlist thank u sm to everyone who replied!!! one last thing (i have total brain fog rn) but say i did get off the waitlist, i have one week to submit the SIR, would i find out what my financial aid package looks like during that week or would i commit first not knowing how much it’ll cost???

Berkeley announced? Congrats!!!

Accepted for Mechanical Engineering!! (In state)
Congrats to everyone!

3 Likes

No, UCLA does not consider alternate majors and like I stated before, the UC application is general so even though you are asked to select an alternate major, many campuses will not consider it.

Here is the full UC breakdown of alternate majors:
UC’s and Alternate majors:
UCB:
Division (L&S, CNR, CoC, CED, CoE) matters for admission selectivity.
Within CoE (but not the other divisions), major matters for admission selectivity. Changing majors within the CoE after enrolling is not guaranteed, unless one is CoE undeclared.

Alternate majors are not considered.

UCD:
Applicants are encouraged to list an alternate major, but not in the
same area as the primary major (e.g., Computer Science Engineering with alternate Computer Science in the College of L&S). Occasionally, we admit to the alternate major.

UCI:
UCI admits into the University first and then into the major. In the case that UCI is unable to accommodate all qualified applicants in their first-choice major, those students who indicate a valid alternate major may be offered admission in that major or Undeclared.

UCLA:
UCLA only guarantees review of an applicant’s first-choice major.
We typically do not admit to the alternate major.

UCSD:
The campus does not admit students on the basis of academic major or choice of UC San Diego undergraduate college. Alternate majors are considered and capped majors are highly competitive. Also note: Capped majors require additional pre-req courses and specific GPA to be able to qualify if changing majors. Also if applying to a capped major, select an non-capped major as an alternate.

UCSB:
College of Engineering: Students are selected by major for all engineering and computer science majors. Only applicants with a solid background in advanced high school mathematics will be considered for admission to engineering. This includes high grades in all math courses through grade 11 and enrollment in pre-calculus or higher in grade 12. A student not selected for their first choice major will be reviewed for admission to an alternate major outside of the College of Engineering if one was selected.

UCSC:
Important Note for Prospective Engineering Students: Choice of major does not influence the selection of first-year students, except for those applicants interested in a major offered by the Jack Baskin School of Engineering (BSOE). Freshmen who are interested in a BSOE program should be sure to indicate a BSOE proposed major. Students who do not indicate a BSOE program or who apply as undeclared might not be able to pursue a BSOE program.

UCR:
Admission by major but alternate/2nd choice major will be considered if applicant does not need their first choice admission standards.

1 Like

Same with my son, he got into data science, happy and grateful for the admit but he has other options for CS.

1 Like

You can use the Net Price calculator on the UCSB website to get an estimate of your costs Just in case your FA package is not ready. The majority of students should have a FA package ready if they are pulled off the waitlist.

Congrats!!!

ACCEPTED!!! I got waitlisted at UCI so this feels good.
Major: Pre-Economics

8 Likes

One twin accepted.
One twin waitlisted. (Same one that was waitlisted at UCSC)
They are identical twins with very close stats and classes taken but very different ECs and essays. I think I know the secret sauce now.

5 Likes

Decision: Rejected
OOS, Psychology
UW GPA: 3.92
UC Capped/Weighted GPA: 4.31
Top 10% of class out of 300+ students in graduating class
ACT: 34 (I know, not considered this year)
Demographics: White middle-class female
Congratulations to the admittees!

Congrats! do you mind sharing stats

Finalist, I haven’t heard yet back about the regents results but was admitted to Cal. I think regents results will come on the 25th (same day as reg decision)

You are the designer of a really interesting experiment. I bet your secret sauce is magnificent and that maybe the UCs are picky eaters? I would love to hear more of your insight!!! Chin up twin 2! My guess is that there will be waitlist movement this year.

5 Likes

yes, I believe so! Congrats!

1 Like

Daughter waitlisted UCSB for Art. Also waitlisted UCI, Long Beach. Accepted UCSC, SJSU, SFSU, SDSU, and several privates.