UC Santa Barbara Class of 2025 — Regular Decision

Turns out my husband only is getting them.

1 Like

I feel like UC Davis doesn’t send anything out. I finally got one of the parents to direct me to spam. For some reason, UC Davis portal registration for my son went to SPAM.

1 Like

I got the email

These emails are just marketing, not indication of anything admissions-wise.

Finally something from Davis today.

2 Likes

My class of 2024 in-state child had similar stats, applied to the same programs (CS #1, Stats/DataSci #2), and got into Stats Data Sci. Lots of dual-enrollment (we have minimal AP classes). The other UC’s she applied for UCD/UCSD were CS/math/engineering which she was WL’ed. As far as chances? I don’t know, but she is happy and thriving in the program. We were told UCSB has the smallest engineering program out of all the undergrad UC’s, so it is, by its size, hard to get into.

Thank you for the info. Was she WL’ed for her first or second choice major? I heard that UCD seldom consider second choice major. Not sure about UCSD.

She was WL’ed for both first choices, which were in engineering departments. I don’t even know what her second choice majors were, but I think they were also in engineering departments which is likely why she didn’t get accepted for a second choice. UCSB is also light on communications vs. other schools.

UCSB recommends if you are going to list an alternate major, that it should not be in the College of Engineering if your first choice is Engineering.

You are correct the UCD rarely considers alternate majors but if you apply for Engineering, then your alternate major should be in another college also.

UCSD admits into the University first then into the major. They do consider alternate majors and state if the 1st choice major is Capped/Selective, then the alternate major should be non-capped. If no alternate major is listed, applicants can be admitted as Undeclared.

2 Likes

@Gumbymom, when you say UCSB admits first to the university then the major are you talking about all majors or just Engineering/CS or data science? Thank you!

UCSD admits to the University first not UCSB.

UCSB admits by major for the College of Engineering but not by major to the College of Letters and Sciences. If applying for Engineering/CS at UCSB, for them to consider an alternate major, you must select a major from the College of L&S

2 Likes

This is interesting for UCSD. If the applicant can be admitted as Undeclared why would he/she be WL’ed? How does UCSD decide who should be WL’ed and who should be admitted undeclared?

A lot of kids apply undeclared. They only take a certain number.

FWIW. D21 received a text from UCSB today. I’m sure it means absolutely nothing.

Same.

What was the text about?

“Hello! This is UC Santa Barbara Admissions. :surfing_man:t2: Thank you for applying to our campus! It’s 2021, and our team is here to support you. We’ll keep sending updates as we get ready for decision day on March 16th!
Reply “stop” if you want to opt-out of our text updates.”

3 Likes

Yeah on Decision Day 3/16 revealed!

1 Like

I got this text too. I’m assuming based on previous years, the chancellors invite will come out this week or next week. Hopefully.

Only one of my twins got the text. The other one did not check the box allowing text messages.