UC Santa Barbara Class of 2025 — Regular Decision

No college will punish an applying student because of the stupid actions of a person in the class before them. What?

Not my D, she applied for Columbia ED and was denied. She got over it now!

@MrQster Its true, at private colleges with ED, it is technically binding. It is a bad faith contract if the student does ED (which has a easier admit rate) and breaks it. the only valid reason is if financial aid does not meet the EFC of the student. Breaking an ED will hurt the high school for future chances and the school is blacklisted. Well informed high school counselors will protect the future students at the school by encouraging the student to hold up their end of the bargain.

Speaking of this topic, the worst is when students SIR at two UCs! Doing so is visible to the enrollment teams at the UC campuses and is grounds for being rescinded from both campuses.

@Luckygal23 It is acceptable to withdraw your SIR from the original school if you get off a waitlist, then submit an SIR to the school that accepted you from their waitlist. It is NOT acceptable to have an SIR in place at more than one school at the same time, i.e. you can’t reserve a spot at more than one school.

College will likely blacklist a student who backs out of an early decision contract. For them to punish the following years graduating class is asinine and ludicrous. The whole concept is utterly unbelievable. These stories are based on urban legend and rumors.

We visited there in 2017 when my DS was considering to apply for Chem E major. We fell in love with the campus immediately, very open, welcoming and of course, right next to the ocean. Plus UCSB Chem E dept is one of the top schools in the nation (very small department, annual incoming students are like 50). He ended up going to his dream/moonshot college though. I hear that off campus housing is very expensive.

i was accepted (didn’t receive chancellor’s reception but i’m just happy for acceptance) - has anyone received any other congratulatory email or anything? probs just anxiety, but ucsc emailed me after getting in so i wanted to see if this was a thing for all uc’s

1 Like

Plenty of articles showing both sides of the story. It is more of a moral and ethical issue since applying ED you are telling the school you plan to attend. Reasons like finances allow you to decline but applicants should have an idea that the school is affordable before applying or fo not apply ED. I did not say OP would be black listed or the school but some schools will take it seriously.

There was nothing in that article that talks about blacklisting the following years HS graduating class because of the unethical actions of one student the prior year. It is hard for me to imagine a school turning down an awesome candidate because of the unethical actions of a unrelated student who happens to graduate from that school a year or two earlier. The article I posted clearly states that this is based on rumor and urban legend. It would be actually very unethical for a college to practice this type of punishment on unrelated students.

1 Like

Good read!

Does UCSB have Provost award for OOS? I know UCDavis has.

Does anyone know how likely it is for a student to get off the waitlist? I know some will stay on the waitlist past the SIR date but decide not to go. I am hoping I get in!

1 Like

Thanks @10s4life . He did mention it in the application, but hard to really explain the situation well in a brief write-up. Bc he is so bright he was able to compensate enough for his disability so it wasn’t diagnosed till 10th grade, after some weak grades showed up. By then your GPA is set and hard to change. It’s also a fine line to talk about it and not sound like you are making excuses or making yourself sound incapable of handling college work. The irony is his aptitude testing scored a whole standard deviation above his sibling who is getting straight A’s at UCLA, but he will likely not get accepted at any UC’s. So I don’t know if he’d have any grounds for appeal. :pleading_face:

@Pusheen1 Sending you a PM

Sorry to hear about your daughter. That is bad luck for her. Similar thing happened to a friend’s son 2 years ago which hurt his grades. He didn’t get in the UC’s he wanted and ended up at UIUC and is very happy. I wish your daughter the best and hope it all works out ok!

Your point #2 is well taken. Some kids truly do need and seek out the challenge willingly, but most are just trying to keep up to be competitive. It’s no mystery why we have a generation of anxious stressed out kids.

I don’t think UC would be accepting any of those standardized scores any more in the future. Instead, it seems like they would be coming up with their own tests to measure the quality of the candidates.

That means more tests for students. Test for the masses will have to be standardized, I think.
It is impractical to interview every applicant either. In my opinion, the ECs students write are highly inflated. Do the colleges validate them, probably not.
It is always hard to select the right candidate!

Perhaps all the kids in the chance me threads who already founded and led a company netting over 100k in junior year probably can skip college.

2 Likes

UC’s do random verifications of EC’s and ask a small percentage to submit documents to verify.

1 Like

@Gumbymom Do you know if the review for the alternate major is within the context of the L&S pool or within COE amongst the denied applicants? For some, this may change how they wish to apply as the COE pool is likely way more selective.