UC Santa Barbara Class of 2025 — Regular Decision

I really wanted my daughter to apply to UCSB for Econ/accounting but she hated the idea of having to meet the prerequisite gpa to declare. She didn’t want math for finance or stats to be her only options so she didn’t apply. She got rejected by UCI business admin which was my last hope to keep her close to home. Huge grin from her when the rejection came since she knew I had to accept Cal Poly was her best option. Our son is CS at UCI. I don’t envy the choice your son has to make.

1 Like

Has anyone received Regents at UCSB or is the Chancellor’s Reception invite indicative of it?

I received the Chancellors invite then got another email saying I got regents a couple days later

1 Like

Not all Chancellor invitees will receive Regents at least historically.

Congratulations! Did you receive anything in the mail for Regents?

No I have not yet

I would go to UCSB if I were in that position.

Does anyone know how the honors program works? Do we apply after we commit to UCSB?

They are changing their honors program and the website states that students will receive information about applying after they submit their SIR. UCSB Honors Admission

Honors students will not longer receive priority registration

Is honors even worth it then? I thought the priority registration was the biggest advantage.

Let’s wait and see what they say (if anything) at the Chancellor’s reception. Universities usually use honors programs to entice students to enroll so it surprises me that UCSB is saying information won’t be released until after one commits.

Yeah- it’s a tough call for him (so much for 17 year olds to think about). If he goes to UC Irvine, he has some more flexibility with minors in tech or digital media with his business admin major (those interest him at the moment). He can also choose to major in Accounting after he gets a feel for it. At UCSB, they have an amazing Accounting program (we have a neighbor doing it) but my son has no idea what being an accountant is and if he ends up not liking it, he may find fewer options (at least related to business) to go to. Augh! Both are incredible schools so I’m not complaining - he’s very lucky to have options.

He can do business management, consulting, or corporate finance jobs with an accounting background. UCI’s program isn’t true business admin either. Unless you want to do engineering every other major can lead to the career path you want. If anything it gives him more flexibility. Minors also have very little weight in the job world.

My daughter is in the exact same position, same choice of majors. She loves the UCSB campus and I feel that she would fit in very well. BUT I am wondering about the fact that they are accepted into the “pre-econ and accounting” major and have to satisfy requirements to declare the major… whereas at UCI, they already are accepted in the business school with a lot of different choices of concentrations. Any thoughts? :smiley:

Why you say UCI isn’t true Bus Admin?
UCB, UCI, & UCR are the only UCs having Business Administration major. I don’t know why. Others like UCLA & UCSB have Economics only.

we are in the same position - business econ at UCSD or pre-econ at UCSB. On the UCSB parent forum lots of parents recommend doing the Technology Management Program alongside the econ major to get the business knowledge

2 Likes

There’s a technology management program? Wow! How did I miss that? I’ll look that up! Thank you!!

Oh wow, that’s actually really cool.

deleted

1 Like

It was for CS, not the school as a whole.

2 Likes