UC Santa Cruz Freshman Class of 2027 Waitlist/Appeal Thread

DS just got off waitlist for Environmental Studies/Economics! No email, just checked the portal.

4 Likes

D just admitted off waitlist! No email, checked portal. Good luck!!

2 Likes

Son just got admitted, politics!! On the portal! He SIRed to UCR for public policy, does anyone have any insight into comparing those two programs?

4 Likes

DD just got off waitlist today, but is set on the other school she SIRd, so will not accept. GL to everyone!

2 Likes

My son just got admitted for Astrophyics! Yay!!

4 Likes

My son just got off tglhe waitlist for Technology and Information Management ! So excited for him

4 Likes

Son admitted off waitlist tonight for alternate major of Math. (1st choice was CS). Notified via email. He’s happy but not sure what he’ll do, vs. his SIR school, etc.

2 Likes

Congratulations! Just an FYI if you are not directly admitted to CS at UCSC, you cannot later switch into it - not sure if you are aware of that restriction and it may affect your decision.

I’m just mentioning it because I joined the UCSC parents 2027 FB page and this issue has come up a couple of times. People have been a little blindsided by it.

1 Like

Thank you! Yes we’re aware that it’s not an option for switching, as with just about every UC. Which is not necessarily a deal-breaker here, but adds more to think about. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is there a list of “impacted majors” for each UC Campus?

By contrast see 16% of seniors are CS majors. How did we get here?

Has anyone who accepted waitlist admission, received financial aid letter? I wonder how long this takes.

Is it just for CS? What about CE? My son is starting as TIM but said he might want to trybto switch to CE…

Hi Gumbymom, you know everything:)) will our kids who just got off the waitlist this week still get housing guarantee for freshman year?

I would contact housing to confirm but my understanding is that all in-coming Freshman are guaranteed housing but may not be their first choice.

Right now, only CS has the restriction in which you need to be admitted directly into that major to declare. For the rest of the Engineering majors, you can declare as long as you are admitted into the Engineering school and TIM is in the Engineering school.

In order to be eligible to declare a School of Engineering major, students need to be listed as a proposed major in one of the following:

• Biomolecular Engineering and Bioinformatics
  • Computer Engineering
  • Computer Science: Computer Game Design
  • Computer Science (B.A. or B.S.)*
  • Electrical Engineering
  • Robotics
  • Technology and Information Management**

I always recommend contacting the department to confirm all information but CE does appear to be an issue for a major switch.

yep, that’s basically what they said when I had emailed them last week or so.

1 Like

they said in the email 7-10 days

Is there a way to change major while you are still on the waitlist (e.g from CS to EE -different engineering major to improve chances of getting off waitlist)?

No, you cannot change majors on the waitlist. As long as you are still interested in Engineering, it will not make a difference what your proposed major is listed on the UC application since you will need to take the required courses to declare. The exception is CS.

1 Like