UC SAT/ACT All Scores?

Can anyone please help clarify whether the UC schools require all scores from either the SAT or ACT? Or can you selectively send? I found this language on the UC admissions site which seems to encourage all but I had heard in the past that this was required? Thank you

In the College Board’s Score Choice module, we encourage you to send all official scores to UC. We will use the highest scores from a single administration. There is no disadvantage to submitting all scores. A higher sub-score from another test date may be used to meet university or campus graduation requirements after admission (dependent on the campus).

To add to the confusion the Berkeley site provides: In the College Board’s Score Choice module, ensure that all scores are sent to UC. We require all scores and will use the highest scores from a single administration.

The UC’s stance on the SAT and/or ACT scores is that want all and will take the highest total score from a single sitting. You will not be penalized for not sending all scores, but unless you select score choice for CB, then all scores will be sent. I prefer to error on the side of caution and do what is posted on the website and by the schools. You can use Score choice module for the SAT subject tests since these are recommended but not required.

My question is that the UC website specifically says all scores are encouraged (seems to read differently than required). Is this the newer policy? Thanks

@tigerbeat: When it comes to the UC’s, there is a lot of vagueness in their policies. SAT subject tests are recommended not required, but you can be pretty sure that to be a competitive applicant, you should take those recommendation seriously. I think they are saying unless there are some extenuating circumstances, they would like applicants to send in all test scores. SAT scores are not as much of an issue since all scores will be sent with one fee. ACT scores require separate fee payments for each test date which might be financially restrictive for some students that are unable to get fee waivers.

Thanks @Gumbymom !

On the “optional” SAT subject tests, I think that’s what made the difference for my kid’s acceptance. There’s nothing optional about doing everything you can to stand out a little more.