UC – SAT or SAT Subject Test in December?

We are in state and my son would like to apply to computer science/computer engineering major. The UCs that he’s interested in RECOMMEND 2 SAT subject tests. Below are his scores:

• SAT: 1480 (680 verbal, 800 math)
  • SAT Math 2: 800
  • SAT Physics: 680
  • AP tests: 5 for Calculus BC, Physics 1, Computer Science.

He would like to improve his SAT verbal as well as his SAT Physics scores but December is his last chance to do so. He’s deciding which test is more important to re-take. I’m inclined to have him retake SAT Physics rather than SAT. I believe he can improve his SAT Physics score a lot whereas the most he can improve his SAT verbal score is only by 20-30 points.

Please advise. Thank you.

Very hard call but I would go with whichever test he thinks he can improve on the most as you have stated, but it in the end he is the one retaking the test so he should decide.

With his current SAT score and UC GPA how does he look for admission at the schools on his list? Did he take the SAT with writing the first time around, as writing is required?

Depending on these answers, and if he decides to do any more testing, I might say to retake SAT rather than the Physics subject test, as it’s relatively more important in the admissions decision…but if he hasn’t been prepping there’s certainly the risk his score decreases. He also has a 5 on the Physics AP test which admissions will see as well which shows subject mastery similar to the subject test. Will be interested to hear opinions of others.

@Gumbymom , @Mwfan1921 - Thank you.

Yes, he took SAT with writing the first time. Essay score is 6, 5, 7.

His weighted and capped UC GPA is 4.04.

He’d like to apply to UCSD, UCI, UCSB, UC David, UCB & UCLA (both extremely reach).

Due to the fact that there are so many extremely qualified applicants and that he’s applying to the most competitive major, I think his chance is not high.

What are his safeties since based on GPA alone, none of UC’s listed are Match schools?

His UC GPA is within range but below the averages for all the UC’s on his list but SAT score is above the averages. Unfortunately UC’s tend to be more GPA focused. The SAT II Math score and the AP Physics score do make him competitive but unpredictability with a high demand major makes it vital that he have a list of solid Match and Safety schools. Like I stated above, let him decide which test he feels better prepared.

Some UC statstical data below for reference.
2018 Freshman admit rates for UC GPA of 3.80-4.19 capped weighted and not major specific: 
UCB: 10%
UCLA: 9%
UCSD: 34%
UCSB: 38%
UCD: 41%
UCI: 38%
UCSC: 70%
UCR: 84%
UCM: 95%

2019 UC capped weighted GPA averages:
UCB: 4.23
UCLA: 4.25
UCSD: 4.23
UCSB: 4.16
UCI: 4.13
UCD: 4.13
UCSC: 3.96
UCR: 3.90
UCM: 3.73

2019 Data: 
25th - 75th percentiles for SAT totals:
UCB:    1340-1540
UCLA:  1330-1550
UCSD:  1300-1520
UCSB:  1280-1520
UCD:    1230-1490
UCI:      1250-1510
UCSC:  1200-1450
UCR:     1130-1400
UCM:    1020-1290

This is just a “gut feeling,” but I’d retake the SAT and try to raise the verbal score rather than SAT 2 Physics score. The SAT is a requirement. Subject tests are recommended.

Now the SAT is 4+ hours and subject tests are only an hour, so that’s less than desirable.

@sushiritto - Thank you!

@Gumbymom - Thank you for the information. He does have 2 solid safeties that he would be happy to attend. We just wanted to apply to those UCs since we are in state. We know the chance is slim so we’re just trying to increase the odds.

My son has decided on retaking SAT Physics test because he doesn’t think he can improve his SAT score much… I have a couple of questions.

• On the UC application, should he still report his current score (for SAT Physics) and indicate that he plans to re-take it in December, or
  • Should he NOT report it now and wait until December to send the new score?

Thank you