**ucb waitlist discussion for class of 2024**

For the person asking about stats, here what I have:

OOS, applied for FA
93.4 GPA at a nationally-ranked boarding school
36 ACT, 11 Essay
800 Chem, 800 Math 2, 800 Physics, 780 Bio M SAT II’s
Decent ECs

Currently have my deposit at Vanderbilt, but I would much rather be at UCB

Wow. I’d take a look at this article by UCB president Carol Christ. It seems as though there is so much uncertainty. The highlight is that Fall admissions is unknown, and they are taking an “aggressive approach to admissions.” This is scary news for the university, but potentially good news for waitlisters (if you are willing to learn online for a semester at full tuition)

https://news.berkeley.edu/2020/04/17/an-update-on-uc-berkeleys-budget-situation/

@Gumbymom Based on previous years’ threads, is it easier to get off of the waitlist for OOS students or in-state students?

what does “aggressive approach to admissions” mean?

@plsadmitthanks: The Covid-19 has completely changed everything for all schools so there is no way to predict if it will be easier or harder for in-state vs. OOS. Even in a normal year, there is no way to predict whom will be taken off the waitlist. All anyone can do is enroll in another school until they hear one way or another from UCB.

@Sisternight I don’t know what is meant by “aggressive”. Cal’s orientation, “Cal Day”, has moved to a virtual format called Cal Week, which starts tomorrow. I am assuming this is where they will be marketing heavily to admitted students who haven’t decided (plus social media).

The hard truth is that the prize for any public school right now is the OOS , full-tuition student, who is willing to spend the fall at home learning on their laptop. No school would ever admit that a student’s financial-aid situation would factor into their admissions process, but with UC staring at a $1B+ impact from COVID-19, schools will have to look at all sources of revenue.

Is there a limit to the number of OOS students Berkeley can accept?

I was wondering the same thing. I read somewhere that there is an 18% OOS student cap for each UC? Wondering if that still holds up during this financially stressful time.

man, I really hope it doesn’t affect waitlist oos negatively this year

@kash123 @homosapiens @Sisternight here is a helpful table where you can find the exact data that you’re looking for, by school, race, residency etc. UCB is roughly 70%/30% instate/OOS (OOS includes international)

https://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/infocenter/admissions-residency-and-ethnicity

Most interesting thing on this is the 40.8% in state admit rate for 1994!

i also think the the international number is gonna go down cuz corna, and i hope those spots are given to OOS

If you’re interested in learning a lot more about Cal, check out Cal Week. (You can click on any of the green highlighted dates in the calendar). There will be a live Q & A with the admissions dept today from 12-5 (PST)

https://apply.berkeley.edu/portal/calweek

From the DAILY BRUIN July 2018, “The UC Board of Regents voted in May 2017 to limit the percentage of nonresident undergraduate students to 18 percent at five UC campuses. Campuses where nonresident enrollment already exceeded 18 percent, including UCLA, UC Berkeley, UC Irvine and UC San Diego, had to cap enrollment at their 2017-2018 levels. For UCLA, that would be 22.8 percent.”

Does anyone know if Cal has a ranked waitlist or if it is more based on priority?

@hesjeev It’s not ranked.

I asked about waitlists in the Q & A today that was hosted by several Cal admissions counselors. I asked if the WL will be utilized heavily and if there is a need for either IS or OOS students. The only feed back I got was “We will know more about the WL after May 1st.”

That’s it.

On the ucb portal next to the waitlist form what date does it say for you guys? Mine says 4/16/20 but I turned mine on the 14th. I was just wondering what date it says for you guys and if it also still gives you the option to edit your form. I might just be freaking out for no reason.

Is the first wave on May 7 only in-state students? It looks like it from last year’s thread. Also, what do you guys think my chances are as an international female EECS applicant?

Hi everyone, I am new here! Nice to meet you all! I was waitlisted by UCB Haas. I was wondering is there a waitlisted number (i.e. the earlier we submit our waitlist intent the better it is as we will be considered first?).

Thank You! :smile: