UCI Regents vs. UCSB for CS

Hey all,

I am quite conflicted deciding between UCI and UCSB. I was accepted for Computer Science to both (Engineering college in SB and ICS college in Irvine). I am really not sure what to do, they seem to be very similarly ranked and have very comparable programs.

I prefer SB a little more due to the atmosphere and vibe, but Irvine has offered me the Regents and Dean’s scholarships, as well as Campuswide Honors.

Any insight or advice is appreciated, thanks!

1 Like

Hi, My son is in the same situation. Are you from the Bay Area? Please keep in contact. I am interested in your decision.

Congratulations!!
I went to UCI for ICS… many many years ago.
I would love my son to attend UCI with Regents.
May I ask how good you need to be selected as the regents scholar?
Thank you…

@ka15ajlim: Since the original poster never updated this discussion, you should assume they are long gone.

Regents at the UC’s is usually the top 1-2% of the applicant pool. If you look at the 2020 Fall admit stats, you can get an idea of how competitive your son will be and each department will determine Regent scholars. Below are the 25th-75th percentiles for admitted students but not major specific.

**2020 UC capped weighted GPA averages along with 25th-75th percentile range: **
UCI: 4.11 (3.96-4.26)

2020 Data:
25th - 75th percentiles for SAT totals:

UCI: 1280-1510

25th - 75th percentiles for ACT composite + language arts
UCI: 27-34

No idea what the cutoff is, but I can give you two data points. My kid#2 received UCI Regents and also Dean’s scholarship. They had a UC GPA 4.3+ and a SAT 1590/1600. My kid#1 also got UCI Regents (no deans) and was UC GPA 4.3+ and 35/36 ACT.