UCI/UCSD Acceptance

Im in high school right now and I just got a C in my AP Lang class. This brings down my overall non weighted gpa to a 3.9 and my weighted gpa is now a 4.0 and my SAT is a 1340. For Extra Curricular, I played varsity soccer for 3 years(I’m a junior now), varsity track for 3 years, volunteer at my hospital every other week, and participate in Boy Scouts. I’m afraid the C in my AP class would turn colleges away and possibly get me rejected from UCI and UCSD. Does anyone have a better understanding of the situation and will I get into UCI/SD?

One C will not get you rejected from the UC’s.

UC’s use only 10-11th grades and they have their own weighting system. Only UC approved Honors/AP/IB and DE courses taken 10-11th grade are weighted with a cap of 8 semesters of honors credit.

So here is the UC GPA calculator. At the end of Junior year, plug in your grades and see where you stand.

https://rogerhub.com/gpa-calculator-uc/

For UC’s like UCI/UCSB, want at least a 4.0 UC GPA capped weighted to be competitive. Your SAT is within range, but depending upon your intended major, I would definitely try to bump up your scores.

The UC’s are very GPA focused, but having competitive SAT scores including Subject tests if recommended, good HS course rigor, interesting EC’s and essays will all contribute to your chances.

The best way to gauge your chances is to see how you compare with the Freshman profiles for 2018. These should be posted in August 2018, when the UC application opens. In the meantime, figure out why you are not doing that well in AP Language and try to get your grade up.

Best of luck.

25th - 75th percentiles for SAT:

UCB: 1280-1490

UCLA: 1280-1500
UCSD: 1250-1470
UCSB: 1210- 1450
UCD: 1190-1430
UCI: 1190-1420
UCSC: 1170-1380
UCR: 1090-1310
UCM: 1020-1230

Freshman admit rates for UC GPA of 3.80-4.19(capped weighted):

UCB: 14%
UCLA: 14%
UCSD: 44%
UCSB: 54%
UCD: 58%
UCI: 65%
UCSC: 85%
UCR: 94%
UCM: 96%

UCSC, UCR and UCM are your best shots. I’d say your target campuses are 40% chance or less. You should certainly apply but, also apply down the stack a little. SDSU and the UCs i mention above are all worth an ap.
good luck.

You have a chance, but not that high