UCLA Admissions Class of 2026 Discussion

No. But aside from creating a login, my daughter hasn’t started the application yet. Hoping that is the only reason she didn’t get the invite.

My D hasn’t even created a login. Says she’s “so done with essays!” :pensive:

Still hoping she’ll do it though.

4 Likes

When do we expect UCLA regents email to come?

I’m sorry. I did not mean to create issues or hard feelings toward UCLA. Here is the text of the email–I was reading on my phone and did not see the statement at the very bottom: “The receipt of this message is in no way based on your admissions status. You are receiving this message because you have either started or submitted an Alumni Scholarship Application.”

Since this clearly has nothing to do with admissions and only relates to the alumni application, I would not worry about it. Here is the email:

Dear Scholarship Applicant:

We recognize that you have been working on the UCLA Alumni Scholarships application and are so excited that you are considering becoming a part of our family. Supported by the UCLA Alumni Association, we are a community of like-minded students with a focus on community, leadership development, and service.

The Outreach Committee of the Alumni Scholars Club (ASC) has put together a Prospective Scholars Day for any students interested in applying for the Alumni Scholarships. By attending this event, you will be able to meet current ASC students who will introduce the benefits of receiving the scholarship beyond the monetary award. You will also have the opportunity to hear from a student panel and ask our current scholars any questions you may have about the scholarship and ASC.

There will be 3 sessions for the event with a limited capacity for each. Registration for these sessions will be on a first come first serve basis. You may register for ONE of the following sessions:

Session 1: 2/19/22 (Saturday), 1PM - 2PM PST

Session 2: 2/19/22 (Saturday), 2:30PM - 3:30PM PST

Session 3: 2/20/22 (Sunday), 1PM - 2PM PST

Please use this link to register for ONE session: [LINK] The Zoom link will be emailed to you on Friday, February 18,2022 after 5pm.

If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out to our ASC Outreach Director at [email]. Thank you and we look forward to seeing you at our Prospective Scholars Day! Go Bruins!

Sincerely,

George Brown

Director, Alumni Scholars Program

*The receipt of this message is in no way based on your admissions status. You are receiving this message because you have either started or submitted an Alumni Scholarship Application.

1 Like

My DS has refused to do it ! I know logically scholarships and admissions are two separate departments, but because college admissions seem such a vague and opaque process, I am hoping it doesn’t negatively affect his chances

4 Likes

No hard feelings. He applied to multiple schools because he knows with his impacted major it’s pretty much going to be a crapshoot and the top UCs are reaches even for in state applicants. Thanks and Good Luck.

I get his burnout. I haven’t written the essays yet. I wrote more than 40 essays for applications (if you include supplements over 150 words), and I just needed a break. Plus, baseball season has started. I am going to try to get the first draft done this weekend and then finish them next weekend. We have until March 4th. I signed up for the Sunday Zoom session, and I am happy to report back if anyone is interested.

9 Likes

yes please do.

I feel him. UCLA is my dream school for in state, but even with a 4.42 weighted and 4.29 capped weighted with dedicated ECs (varsity sports and long-term community service), I know there is a possibility I won’t get into UCLA or any other UC. My sibling got the Alumni invite and the UCLA request for supplemental information in 2020 and still got denied at UCLA (and UCSB), but she did get into Cal. Who knows.

4 Likes

I’ve heard of other cases like this where lower ranked UC rejected a candidate, but a higher ranked one, in particular, UCB came through. The admissions process is far from objective, which is understandable given the number of applications each campus receives. Which is why, students who don’t get into highly ranked schools should not feel discouraged. And, conversely, those who do get into them should accept them with a modicum of humility and gratitude for their good fortune.

7 Likes

My D also has refused. She is so burned out and you could do all that work and still not get in. Which is what she keeps bringing up every time I tell her she should at least try.

1 Like

For my D22’s high school, CA Public, the acceptance rate for UCB was 30%, and UCLA was 17% for last year. Overall acceptance rate for UC was 76%.

Football player here and I feel ya. I got 3.9/4.3/4.6 and I’d be stunned if I got into either UCB or UCLA. So competitive. UCLA is the dream because it’s pretty close to me, but now I’m just hoping for UCI.

6 Likes

I feel you! My daughter has basically the same stats and I am now starting to worry she won’t get into any of her top picks; USC, UCLA, UCSB or SLO. I was feeling pretty good about Slo until I saw for her major they had 66 spots for 3200 applicants. She has worked so hard and I will feel so bad for her if it was all for nothing. She only applied to 3 UC’s, she really doesn’t want to go to UCB.

In your chance thread, you only had UCLA and UCSB listed. What is the 3rd UC she applied to?

Did she apply for Weber Honors College at SDSU?

She also applied to UCB but has decided she really doesn’t want to go there. She did get in to SDSU with an honors college invite but never applied. I think she would be fine at SDSU I just think she could have gotten in there with a lot less stress on herself. I know there are a lot of kids in the same boat, just venting ;).

2 Likes

Did it come out yet?

Anyone got anything yet?

Not yet

Just posted the following on that other thread and will share thoughts as well here:

As promised, I sat in on the information session yesterday with Alex and though I’m trying to curb my enthusiasm, the program sounds pretty, pretty, pretty good and a wonderful opportunity, too. Mention was made that the interview would be short and indeed it was. She met with one of the professors and he asked four questions. Among other things, she talked about her passion for baking, chance meetings and her place in the world. He was personable and engaged, and she felt it went well. He ended their time together with, “I’ll be thinking about your cookies,” so he was definitely listening. I’m praying he’ll be thinking about her and her place at TFT, too! Anyway, whether she gets accepted in March, after hearing the department head tell everyone in that time slot to pat themselves on the back for making the cut to be invited to interview (and he said there were many, many cuts) it’s an accomplishment in itself and our actors each deserve a Bruin 8-clap :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clapper:

12 Likes