UCLA Class of 2024 Discussion

Accepted as oos!
Major: Bioengineering
ACT: 35
GPA: 4.63 W, 3.9 UW
SAT Math 2: 800
SAT Biology: 750
SAT Chemistry: Let’s not talk about that at all.

Anyone accepted into UCLA nursing major? I heard only 3% acceptance rate.

@Sisternight
I totally agree, my daughter was invited for the Alumni scholarship and spent several hours on it. She got her hopes up, because according to a video posted by admissions, it is correlated to admission. Then just recently she received invitations for 2 other ones, and she got so excited, and completed one of them right away. Then she was straight out rejected, like what the heck is that. We have several Bruins in our family, and have always supported the school, as they also play football in the city we live in. We are no longer a fan of this school. Extremely disappointing to do that to people. I hope someone relays this to admissions.

Waitlisted
Asian/White Female In-State
6 APs completed with test, 1 didn’t take the test, 1 dropped after half the year (medical reasons); 4’s on all tests
All other classes were Honors or College (dual enrollment) (aside from PE and Spanish)
Senior Schedule:
AP Calc AB/BC
Economics 120
Political Science 124
English 124
GPA: Unweighted: 3.83, Weighted: 4.59, UC Capped: 4.57
SAT: 700 English, 620 Math (only took once, didn’t like the SAT format)
ACT: 33 (one sitting) 33 english, 32 math, 33 reading, 35 science, super score: 34
80+ hours volunteering at local hospital, additional hours accrued working at the Rock N Roll Marathon and at graduation
AP Scholar with Distinction/Honors, Honor Roll since Freshman year, Cheer MVP all 3 years, Questbridge finalist
Lacrosse for 2 years (high school and club) (4 seasons total), Cheerleading for 3 years
National Honors Society, California Scholarship Federation, Asian Pacific Student Alliance, Aspiring Medical Professionals Club
Grossmont Healthcare District Scholarship recipient
20 units completed from dual enrollment, 56 total units completed (AP credit included)
Accepted: UCSD (Chancellor’s Scholarship), UCI (Honors), SDSU (early admissions/Honors offer), UVA (early admissions/

Chantilly cake is actually one of my favorite desserts to get in Hawaii! I have relatives there, so I was always going to apply. I love visiting.

I was already applying to Amherst College. UMass is in the same town and you can take classes at Amherst even if you enroll at UMass. Their campus food is also really good!

@Sisternight and @CollegeMomCL2024

I don’t mean to be insensitive, but If you looked online for even a few minutes this year, you would realize everyone got one of the alumni emails (and the email itself said “Please note that this invitation to apply for the Alumni Scholarship does not constitute an offer of admission nor does it infer any likelihood of admission”). That is not on them if you thought you were getting in because of that email. The false hope isn’t really something you can blame them for when they clearly stated it had nothing to do with admission.

What is a bit odd is to expect more essays for that scholarship before applicants knowing if they even got in; those should be after.

EDIT: Oops, didn’t mean to restart a topic from a page ago, didn’t realize I did that. Whatever, I’ll leave it.

Daughter Accepted.

Stats:
California Resident
Major: Cognitive Science
UW GPA: 4.0
UC GPA: 4.51
Weighted GPA: 4.31
SAT: 1530
Denied: Stanford, University of Texas, Johns Hopkins, Pomona
Accepted: UC Davis, UCSB - Honors Program, UC Irvine, Columbia, UCLA
Waitlist: UC San Diego

It depends on what sept you apply fir. 12.5% overall but eg 2% for film program…

I’m curious what false hope UCLA gave you. If any false hope was given I would say it would be from random parents all over the internet.

The alumni scholarship clearly stated that it was in no way an indication of possible acceptance to the university.

Yes I got the email. Yes my kid got in but even if they had not, I would have been sad, but not upset at the university for things I personally looked up on the internet in forums and held hope in.

I did not apply ED. I was emailed mid March to let me know that I would be accepted on Ivy Day. I have a right to get all of my offers (not Ed) and make an informed decision when I see financials. Thank you though for your assumptions.

S20 admitted
In-state
4.0 UW
4.7 fully weighted
1580 SAT
35 ACT
Admitted: UCSD, UCSB, UCI, UCD, Michigan, Georgetown
Denied: Pomona, WashU

Historically it had been more close to 2%.

Does anybody know when regent scholarship decisions come out? UCLA exclusively invited select students but I haven’t heard when they will be releasing this information.

@alyssa2020 It would have been included in your decision.

accepted! but didn’t get regents :slight_smile:

Accepted OOS!
Male
Major: Molecular Biology
SAT: 1450
SAT Math II: 780
SAT world history: 710
10 AP’s and honors for all offered courses
4.0 unweighted and 4.75 weighted (not sure the UC modified GPA)

Admitted: UCSB, UT Austin, UCLA, UMD, UMiami, Northeastern, Georgia, CU Boulder
Denied: Vanderbilt (ED)
Waitlisted: UVA

I think the issue with the Alumni scholarship is that this year they invited a much larger number of applicants, but many still assumed the same high level of correlation with admission as for the more select group invited in prior years. It is unfortunate that there wasn’t clearer communication on this point, even though the invite did say it should not be regarded as implying admission.

However, it should be welcome that more people are being told about the scholarship, so that those who are not “in the know” don’t miss out on this opportunity (because the filtering by admissions has always been fairly crude and not well geared to the leadership characteristics sought by the ASC).

But you need to understand that the probability of winning the scholarship is always going to be in the low single digits (and you need some good leadership ECs as well as an excellent essay to succeed) when deciding whether to invest time in applying. My S thought it was worth applying, given his background (he won a scholarship) whereas most of his classmates didn’t bother.

In terms of the process, the essays must be submitted before results come out, because the interviewees have to be selected, the interviews conducted and the winners notified all before Bruin Day, when (in normal circumstances) there’s a reception hosted by the Alumni Scholars Club. Notification of interviews should now happen in the next week or less because interviews are in the first week of April and winners are then informed about a week before Bruin Day. If you get an interview then I believe there’s roughly a one in three chance of winning a scholarship. I don’t know if applicants who don’t get an interview will be notified individually.

accepted international

D20 was accepted for Chemical Engineering, but even with in-state tuition my checkbook says she’ll have to decline the offer… UCLA was one of her top choices but there are several much more affordable schools to choose from.

35 ACT
GPA : 4.0 unweighted, mostly honors, AP, and post-AP classes.

Accepted : Alabama (Honors), ASU (Barrett Honors), Clarkson (Honors), Colorado School of Mines, Johns Hopkins, Miami Ohio (Honors), Michigan State, Pitt (Honors), RIT, Rose Hulman, RPI, South Carolina (Honors), Stevens Inst. of Technology, UCI, UCLA, UCSD, USC, Utah, Vanderbilt, WPI
Declined : None so far - waiting on Northeastern, Princeton, and RIce

Congrats to all the future Bruins out there!

@firmament2x UCLA received just under 109,000 applications for admission to our freshman class for an entering class of just over 6,300 students, so admission this year was exceptionally competitive. That’s what they said in the letter.