Private HS
UW Gpa 4.0
W UC GPA 4.54
SAT: 1330 (one sitting)

5 AP classes (4’s on 2 taken so far)
Honors for all other classes except religion

EC: theatre, student council, community service
Leadership: arts

Stats are good enough to get her foot in the door, audition is what got her in.

@sbahl08 They admit more than 6000. Not everyone who gets in accepts the offer. It’s still competitive though.

S accepted (Applied Math)
Instate
Public school in SoCal (10th-current; rank 1)
SAT II (math, chem: both 760)
SAT I (1540)
Club President
Nursing home volunteer since 8th grade
YMCA Youth Basketball Coach (9th-12th )from 10th-current
NHS, CSF, AP Nat’l Merit
“Inspirational Speaker” for various campaigns in greater LA Co. region
-accepted to UCLA, UCI, UCSD, UCR, waitlisted at UCSB
-Rejected from Hopkins

Daughter accepted
for Environmental Science (in-state student)
Act: 33
GPA: 4.0 UW, 4.66 W
ECs: 3 varsity sports, yearlong Leadership Program, UC Davis YSP, Special Olympics volunteer [everyone should do this - very inspirational and wonderful program]
Also Accepted at: UC Davis, Pitt, Oregon (honors), Oregon St., Georgia, still waiting on others
Rejected: Yale (ED)

Not sure if she will go here - bittersweet bec both parents went to UCLA, but UCLA doesn’t really have the plant science undergrad program other universities have. We will look into that more.
Congrats to all who were accepted. To those were not, rest assured that there are so many other great schools out there. My son was waitlisted at UCLA three years ago, so we know how it feels - go ahead and dislike UCLA ? and love wherever else you end up! It really is all good!

Interesting. Our letter from L&S did not say that.

@lkg4answers Theyre mixing up admitted students with eventual yield I think. Another one of your kids going to ucla this year?

@KevinFromOC How they heck is Pitt OOS cheaper than a UC school in-state? Unless you received a fantastic scholarship and financial aid from Pitt.

Waitlisted OOS female :confused: and I’m super nervous now please help!
Do you think I have a chance at any of my remaining decisions? (USC, Brown, Yale, Carnegie Mellon, UPenn)
SAT I: 1540
SAT II: 740 (Bio)
GPA: ~99/100
EC’s: President of 2 clubs, team captain, NHS board, social justice/environmental, varsity sports, art/murals
Intended Major: Cognitive Science or Design
*Pretty bummed because I poured my heart and soul into my essays/application :frowning:

@caz0743
Actually with merit aid Pitt is cheaper for us than UCLA, but not by much. Of the 17 other schools that we have merit & financial aid info for, 11 were cheaper than UCLA and 6 are more expensive.
Cheaper : South Carolina, Miami Ohio, Alabama, Utah, UCI, ASU, Rose Hulman, Michigan State, Johns Hopkins, Pitt, Clarkson
More Expensive : UCSD, RIT, RPI, Stevens, WPI, Mines

does ucla mail admission packets??

@samayaj Yes it should come within the next two weeks. Arguably the best packet of the UC schools. :slight_smile:

thank you so much!! i’m excited. go bruins!!

Thanks @sbah108 for quoting from your letter in your post #1044:

Also @10s4life, #1046 and @lkg4answers, #1049 . . .

The language would probably be different for those who’ve not been accepted. Hope this doesn’t apply to you, sbah108. If they’re trying to get across that it was a tough admit, they might throw in the number of freshman spots available from the total who applied. Perhaps for those accepted, they wouldn’t put forth the 6,300+ reference.

Here’s a link to the UCs’ Profiles, and in some places it states their strategy:

https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/counselors/files/CC2019/plenary-and-campus-updates.pdf - LINK 0

For UCLA it states: “Stronger waitlist strategy to achieve enrollment targets.”

So for last year’s class, UCLA employed greater amounts of WLs to get the enrollment it wanted, in addition to reducing the number who were accepted.

For the class entering in 2019, the actual numbers per the CDS were with link:

https://www.apb.ucla.edu/campus-statistics/common-data-set - LINK I

**Applied: 108,831

**Accepted: 13,432, 12.3% A/R

**Enrolled: 5,911, 44.0% Yield, with another 288 whom I presume didn’t go through admissions process, effectively athletes. Total freshmen enrollment was 6,199 per LINK I.

These numbers differ a bit from the UCLA admissions website; here’s a link:

https://www.apb.ucla.edu/campus-statistics/admissions - LINK II

They received a smaller amount of applications this year – two straight years of decline, but last year’s adjusted applications total wasn’t 111,322 according to LINK II (UCLA Admissions), but it was probably 108,831 according to LINK I, (the CDS).

But if you notice in LINK II, the A/R has steadily declined over the 10-year period of 2010-2019, with last year’s being listed at 12%, which was corroborated in LINK I. Additionally, the yield has increased, with a large jump in 2019 to 43%, presumably because of UCLA’s stronger employment of WLs.

I thought originally that UCLA would probably reduce freshman enrollment from last year’s 5,911 (or 5,920), because the reduction of applications meant peak enrollment had already passed. In other words, I though UCLA might enroll 5,700-5,800, because it also said that the University was having a tough time keeping standards: “Increasing volume and quality continue to be challenging.” If the peak enrollment had passed and standards have been hard to meet with stepped-up enrollment, then I would have expected a smaller freshman class.

With an approximate lower number of apps combined with a larger freshman class for 2020, the University if it wants to keep an approximate standard to the ~12% acceptance rate will have to work even harder, employing WLs to keep it at that rate. Not every year will see a reduction in A/R from 18% to 12% with each year seeing a Δ of -2% as in the last four years, but I’m sure they want to keep it close. This will then depend on their ability to keep the yield at 43% or maybe raise it even more (with WLs). I’m sure admissions wants to catch UCB in yield as it has with acceptance rate.

I think it’ll be interesting to see what admissions will do. With that in mind, the number of accepted as @gumbymom stated would ~ 14,651, with 43% yield, which will mean ~ 13.5% A/R, because of the larger class and lower no. of apps.

So the numbers could look like:

Total Apps, 108,900
Accepted, 14,651, 13.5%
Enrolled, 6320, 43.1% yield

All these are based on last year’s yield, working backward to the acceptance rate.

My first is at UC Davis and loving it. My second was accepted to UCLA on Friday. I really hope they put up more than pre-fab videos for the admitted students. The Dean of Admissions video addressed the current situation but the rest are pretty generic and too heavily edited.

ETA: We haven’t received an email yet. Have those gone out?

Has anyone received a UCLA merit scholarship yet?

Btw, accepted OOS college of L & S

SAT: 1560 (760 EBWR/ 800 M)
SAT II’s: Math 2 (800), Biology M (750), US History (740)
GPA: 3.98/4 UW, 4.76/5 W,
AP: Biology, US History, Seminar, English Language & Comp (5’s), Physics 1 (4), Computer Science (3), taking 10 AP’s senior year

Major Awards: NSDA National Semifinalist

Main EC’s: School Debate President, coached at and assisted a local public speaking academy, conducted a drug rehabilitation awareness project with DEA, cofounder of local yoga business, varsity track/soccer (2 years then injury), FBLA Nationals Qualifier, some political campaign and clinic volunteering

Congratulations to those who were admitted. It is clearly an amazing accomplishment. Both my wife and I are alumni and would not trade our college experience. UCLA was far from my first choice - in fact I was disappointed going there. We both attended in a different day when standards were a lot different as was the cost.

Our son was just waitlisted for CS. We live in Arizona. He had a balanced application. 3.95 UW. 33 ACT. 13 APs passed through junior year. Attended a highly competitive and nationally ranked charter school. Clubs, volunteer activities, and work at a restaurant.

I think UCLA is his first choice. He was admitted to UCSD CS, Illinois and ASU Honors. Awaiting USC and UCB. While I hope he gets into UCLA, I have been telling him that college is only a small part of his life. There is no future guarantee of a job no matter where you attend college. There is so much pressure on kids today around where you go to college. However, you still need to compete once you get there.

The other big consideration is cost. UCLA oos is $70K a year. That is a lot of money. I love UCLA, but I would not sacrifice your financial future to go to school there.

A little late but I was accepted in Pre Business Economics!
I’m instate and go to a public high school in NorCal
SAT: 1570
GPA: UW 4.0 W 4.6
9 APs total, got 4s or 5s on all tests taken
Solid ECs and essays and I demonstrated a lot of interest.

Congrats to everyone else admitted!

@dhbruin I agree it’s not easy to justify a $70K a year education. Assuming graduating in 4 years (that’s optimistic), that would be more than a quarter million dollars…

What’s your son’s top choice from the list of admitted schools? How much per year will that be?

Hi all! I was accepted into Pre Business Economics however now I’m really debating between UCLA and Berkeley (I got into Berkeley early as a potential regents scholar). I want to major in both Economics and Computer Science in college and I was wondering if that is possible at UCLA since econ is in L&S and comp sci is in engineering. I want to get into management consulting or software development and I feel that majoring in both would open both doors to me.