UCLA Class of 2024 Waitlist Discussion

OOS VA female L&S
UW: 3.87
W GPA (idk about my UC one): 4.52
14 aps for all of high school
19/403
34 act

Accepted: Clemson honors w/ scholarship, Penn state w/ scholarship, Michigan, Wisconsin, Georgia tech, UVA
Waitlisted: UCLA
Rejected: none
Waiting for: northwestern, USC, Vandy, and Berkeley

Not a dream killer getting waitlisted but I for sure really liked it when I toured and was one I could see myself at

@notarobot12 . . . the choices for which youā€™re waiting are great ones also, but if you want to opt-in to UCLAā€™s WL, @StillLotsToLearn provided a great writeup on how to proceed with your supplemental WL package. Itā€™s on the third page, post #55. I would have copied, pasted and quoted it, but I didnā€™t want to do it with (edit: without) permission. And Itā€™s just back one page.

@NorCalKaren and @10s4life, re, your #75 and #76 . . .

ā€¦ or could the University replace the lower oos yield with the oos WL? I say this because each subcohort at UCLA wrt residence, CA, OOS, International, all have very precise percentages of the freshmen class. It looks like UCLA wants to stick with about 75% CA students and 25% non-resident, of which there are about 2xā€™s as much OOS as Int. I donā€™t think that the percentage makeup of the WL is chosen based just on admissible characteristics without regard to residence.

@Studentx458, Last year waitlisted students were given the same housing guarantee as regular admits. The waitlisted students were assigned to their housing communities in June. My son had a regular admit friend that he wanted to room with, but they were assigned to different communities. DS submitted a CAR (Change of Assignment Request) which was accommodated, so the two were able to room together this year. But if youā€™ve ever read advice along the lines of ā€œDonā€™t worry if you donā€™t room with your friend from high school because you will make new friends,ā€ believe it. DS and his friend didnā€™t have any problems and are still friends, but they didnā€™t hang around much beyond the beginning since they each made their own circle of new friends.

@firmament2x You make an excellent point. They rely on OOS tuitions, so it would make sense to replace OOS with OOS. To carry it one step further: If more California residents stay home because of coronavirus fears and accept and if OOS admitted are only replaced by OOS waitlist, it will be disastrous for in-state waitlisters. And now Iā€™m depressed.

@firmament2x @WhimsicalSquid Tuition revenue is such a small part of the ucla budget now. Most of it comes from the endowment. We just completed the centennial campaign which was the largest capital campaign of any public school raising over 5B.

Hi Iā€™m an OOS NY female who was waitlisted, do i have any chance of being accepted?
I was accepted to UCSB early and UCSD, UCD, UCI, UCSC, & Pepperdine.
Still waiting on Berkeley and USC.

@otto12345: Your chances are dependent upon how many students SIR by May 1 so there is no way to determine that until all the numbers are posted.

Last year there were 7,153 opt ins and 965 admitted off the waitlist.

Son Waitlisted: In-state: Asian/Caucasian

UW: 4.0
Weighted: 4.69
ACT: 36 (1 sitting)
SAT II: Chem-760; Bio-760
APs: > 10 (4 or 5)
Comm coll > 60 units (includes General Chem I/II, General Bio, Calculus 1-3)
Volunteer at local hospitals: >300 hrs
HS Tennis Team - 2 years
ASB Officer
Other club president
Major: Neuroscience

Accepted: UCI (Regents/Deans), UCSB, UCSD, UCD, U Pitts (Honors)
Waitlisted: UCLA, Hopkins, Notre Dame

I hope he comes off the list. He was so sad and disappointed.

@10s4life Iā€™d think maintaining the in-state/OOS balance would be important for other reasons too, but I appreciate the info.

Let me offer a tl;dr before my longwinded reply below. UCLA and UCB are still more broad-based safeties for the elites in the country; Harvardā€™s yield, e.g., shouldnā€™t be affected by the virus. And UCLA now has the highest professor salaries among all publics and it places highly among all the nationā€™s universities.

The following is the longer explanation; read on at the risk of your own time. :slight_smile:

I donā€™t think any of us would want to put you, @whimsicalsquid, through the emotional ringer ā€“ as presumably a surrogate for your daughter which Iā€™m sure you would rather be instead, along with all the other parents and students who have to dread even longer waits.

Thereā€™s seemingly good news at the expense of UCLAā€™s standards as to what you stated. Hereā€™s a link of the destinations of all those who are accepted into all nine baccalaureate-offering UC campuses:

https://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/infocenter/admit-destinations

For UCLAā€™s list, you have to click on the Top-25 Destinations tab, and then click on Los Angeles for campus.

There were 13,720 who were accepted and 5,920 who enrolled at UCLA in 2019, for a yield of 43.2%.

Subsequently, these were the top-10 destinations of UCLA admits:

Berkeley 1,527, 11.1%
USC 431, 3.1%
Stanford 407, 3.0%
Yale 192, 1.4%
Penn 184, 1.3%
Harvard 183, 1.3%
Cornell 154, 1.1%
Duke 151, 1.1%
MIT 148, 1.1%
Brown 147, 1.1%

(Just for fair play for those who chose UCLA from Berkeley admits, there were 1,670 or 11.7% of Berkeleyā€™s 14,277 accepted total, the first time UCLA has outpaced Berkeley among cross-admits. So, in other words, they both grind down each otherā€™s yield.)

The point, too, is that UCLA and Berkeley are both safeties in a broader sense to some of the top universities in the nation, so neither is ever going to have an 80% yield. Harvard isnā€™t going to stop being Harvard with its ~ 90% yield; I donā€™t see H losing many students and being stuck with just northeasterners by having its yield eroded because of the virus.

As to what you stated @10sforlife, UCLA now has the highest faculty salaries among public universities, with the average full professor having earned $216,977 in 2018-19. This would place UCLA faculty 9th among all universities, in the middle of the elites. The university can afford the Neil Gargs and Terrence Taos of the world, along with the great E/CS faculty, by whatever revenue is generated to pay these great professors.

Hereā€™s a link to The Chronicle of Higher Educationā€™s Faculty Salary Data:
https://data.chronicle.com/category/sector/1/faculty-salaries/

The OOS and International cohort are helping in bringing in revenue to compensate them, added as you said, to the ever-increasing endowment, which is helping them to live in an area of Los Angeles which very costly. The OOS and International cohort also add a geographic diversity. Would you like attending UCLA with 96% of the students being from California, as back in 2010? I donā€™t think the University can go back just to effectively educate only Californians.

In 2011 enrollment took off from ~ 4,500 freshmen to ~ 5,600-6,000 and now sometimes over 6k, with the original added cohort having predominantly an International flavor, but now the makeup is more OOS among the freshmen. The Internationals almost catch up to the OOS students by transferring in at greater numbers. But the point is, that the in-state cohort has remained steady from 2010, with ~4,300-4,500 freshmen in the last handful of years, with the CA cohort having wild fluctuations while the University was developing a strategy right after 2010, and with 4,000-4,500 being the typical class before 2010.

So I guess, @whimsicalsquid, there are positives and negatives to the effects of those on the WL. UCLA will continually try to increase its yield, but a lot of that will depend on its employing WLs, but unfortunately this will put more people through the ringer. But Iā€™m guessing, though, that all the WLsters will have great choices, or may have a chance at UCLA after attending a community college, which Iā€™m sure isnā€™t in your plans. All the best to all those who have to wait some more.

@firmament2x Thorough analysis! In the end, it may not matter for us over here. Hers is a smaller department where almost everyone accepts admission; also itā€™s supplement-based, where supposedly they have a lot of latitude to accept exactly who they want based on portfolio, so IS/OOS may not be as relevant. But weā€™ll keep hope alive until the end. Thanks for the good points!

@WhimsicalSquid, I was thinking the same thing because, for nursing, e.g., the rate of acceptance is really low like DMA, which leads to the yield being really high, because effectively no one dares to turn down the offer.

I also wanted to correct ā€œputting you through the emotional [wringer],ā€ as well as ā€œwill put more people through the [wringer].ā€ I donā€™t even know what an emotional ringer is, but I started to picture someone whoā€™s being put through a wringer, being squeezed emotionally, and had an aha moment.

Again, ATBā€¦

No way! @Joy2009, I am so sorry for you guys I wish you both the best. That seems crazy though that a student with essentially perfect stats (36 ACT and a 4.0 UW) could get waitlisted. By any chance did your son pass up some AP classes or did he take as many APs as he possibly could have? Of course, if you donā€™t want to share this information then no worries, but Iā€™m curious to see what admission teams value these days. Good luck in the future.

@Joy2009 Yeah, thatā€™s insanity. Did he, like, leave another schoolā€™s name in an essay or something? I joke, but honestly itā€™s heartbreaking after working that hard. I know itā€™ll pay off in the end, be it at UCLA or another top school.

@firmament2x Ha! That one always throws me for a loop!

DS20 waitlisted
Major: CS
Demographic: Asian male; OOS

Stats:
SAT (single): 1580 (800 math)
Subject Satā€™s: 800ā€™s in 3 subjects; 780 in another (math1, math2, phy, chem)
APā€™s: 15 (11 completed by junior year with 5ā€™s in 9; and 4ā€™s in 2)
College courses: Multivariable Calc and Linear algebra
Community service: 300hrs (2 awards; one state level and one city)
ECā€™s: club leaderships in 3 clubs; led the most popular club of a large school.
Varsity sport: 4 years in team; co-captain in senior. state level championship in another club sport.
Awards/honors: 3 times AIME qualifier; state level wins in math, science and hackathons. one national math meet top-10 placement. many STEM activities: 2 selective/free summer research programs. research with a prof for a year.

Basically he did everything he can in most. His relative weakness is UW GPA at 3.8 (weighted GPA is better at 4.85/5 - this is what school reports). Rank is top 5% of a class of around 480. Essays are ok but nothing extraordinary.

Itā€™s very disappointing results season for him. Not sure if he has a chance to get off of waitlist. He is waitlisted in 5 other colleges. starting to get tense - not sure what is making AOā€™s to feel downbeat about him. I thought it maybe uw gpa but seeing many successful candidates with lower gpas/stats - but its difficult to know.

Whatā€™s SIRs??

@shanlad:

SIR= Statement of Intent to Register= Enroll

@HardWorkSzn @WhimsicalSquid

Thank you!! He took every single AP tests and scored 4 or 5. I hope and pray that he comes off the list.
Although he is just graduating high school, we thought if he applied as a junior, he may have a better chAnce. Iā€™m not sure. Just praying at this point.

@Joy2009 . . . Iā€™m sure of all the WLs for specific programs, Iā€™m sure CS would be at or near the top of the list of getting off it if they replace CS with CS. I hope for your sonā€™s sake, they donā€™t replace CS with any of the E majors.