UCLA Class of 2024 Waitlist Discussion

DS is waitlisted for ChemE.
1520 SAT
Math-II SAT-800, Chem SAT-800, Bio SAT-790, Spanish SAT-720
UWGPA-3.96, FWGPA-4.55
APs: Calc BC-5, AP Euro-4, APUSH-5, AP CHEM-5, AP Bio, AP Physics, AP Spanish, AP Gov
State-level: All States Band
Section Leader-Marching Band
Volunteering>450 hrs

My daughter is OOS and has been wait listed for Biomedical Engineering at UCLA. We are also awaiting the UC Berkeley results tomorrow. I noticed from the stats for the latest year posted that 55% of wiait-listed students were accepted at UC Berkeley, this is higher than the percentage of wait listed students accepted at UCLA, is that true?

@firmament2x - his major is neuroscience.

@Joy2009 . . . I’m sorry, I thought the only ones who were waitlisted with your son’s stats would be to E/CS. When I refreshed my memory by reading your initial post, I didn’t get far enough down to his prospective major.

So UCLA is supposed to tell us that he would have been headed to the WL even if he was undeclared? They’re not supposed to judge admissibility by a person forwarding a major within Letters & Science because all admittees are supposed to be on equal footing with freedom to switch to any other major within L&S. Furthermore, there is no impaction with neuroscience.

Here’s @StillLotsToLearn recommendation on how to proceed with a W/L back from page 3:

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/22672269#Comment_22672269

I don’t know if UCLA will send out a supplemental package for everyone who opts in, but if they do, I’m guessing UCLA will immediately admit him, or certainly they should.

@NYSdad2020

The following link for the academic year 2019-20:

https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/counselors/files/CC2019/plenary-and-campus-updates.pdf

shows about 1/2 way down for UCLA, the following stats for its WLs:

Offered WL
Opted In
7,153 (59.9%)
Accepted off W/L
965 (13.5%)

For Berkeley a little farther down:

Offered WL
Opted In
3,975 (52.8%)
Accepted off W/L
1,094 (27.5%)

Berkeley accepted twice the percentage UCLA did, but they look to cull the WL offers a bit more than UCLA at the beginning. So almost the same number were offered spots.

But let me add that Berkeley is generally a bit easier to get into. Let’s see if she might get in tomorrow.

When trying to submit/ accept the waitlist position, I hit the green “Submit” button but nothing happens??? Is anyone else experiencing this? I would expect it to bring up a “Thank you for accepting your spot” or “Thank you for submitting” or something to close out the process and for me to know they received my acceptance of being on the waitlist???

you should get a confirmation email

Thank you.

my son had the same problem - I posted about it earlier but didn’t get any responses. He’ll try again later today.

Hi guys!
So I was waitlisted from UCLA (OOS) but I just got into Berkeley. I’m curious if this will effect my odds of getting off the waitlist? Thanks!

@Cows132 nope. They are independent institutions, they do not see each others acceptances

My daughter was invited to apply and did apply for the alumni scholarships. She wasn’t offered admission and now she is on the waitlist. If she is eventually offered admission from the waitlist, will it be too late for her to get an alumni scholarship? Will they have already decided to whom to give the scholarships to by the time she is picked off the waitlist?

Does anyone think that because of the virus more people will get off waitlist because a higher percentage of people won’t be able to attend UCLA for financial and other reasons? Or will they accept less off the waitlist because the college will also be suffering from a tumbling economy. I heard UCI may rescind up to 1/3 of its acceptances.

@StillLotsToLearn thank you so much for the info on what to submit in the waitlist response! UCLA has been my dream school since I was 12, and I want to do everything I can to impress the admissions board, so any advice is appreciated!

Was the paragraph you sent on the waitlist form or a separate email and what did you include if you dont mind me asking

Hi everyone, I just joined after looking at a bunch of waitlist forums but I just wanted to ask, where are you guys getting historical data for waitlist numbers? I’ve looked through the Common Data Set for UCLA and it wasn’t listed there like other schools

@waitlistking2020 . . . you’re right, UCLA doesn’t list the waitlist numbers on its CDS, but Berkeley does. I don’t know if UCLA will in the future.

Here’s a link for the numbers from 2019 for all of the UCs:

https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/counselors/files/CC2019/plenary-and-campus-updates.pdf

You’ll have to page about 1/2 down for UCLA’s. If you don’t want to look there, I posted UCLA’s and Berkeley’s from the link in my post #104. If you want an historical year-by-year set, then we’d have to find a profiles listing the UCs by academic year.

hey guys quick question, if you click the big submit button after you say yes i do want to accept the spot on the waitlist can you still modify it afterwards up until april 15th or is it final

@Meesh123 yes you’ll be able to modify it

stats because I’m bored and sad:

Waitlisted Asian female (in-state)
Major: Computer Science

UW GPA: 3.92 (2 Bs in grade 11)
W GPA: 4.45
W UC GPA: 4.6
SAT: 1560 (ERW: 760, Math: 800, Essay: 21)
ELC: yes (top 9%)
SAT Subject: 800 Math 2, 750 Physics, 760 US History
APs: Chinese (5), Calculus BC (5), Physics 1 (4), Statistics (4), US History (5) // taking AP Literature and AP Physics C senior year
ECs: national merit finalist, won an international STEM/ business competition, TSA finalist, lots of dance awards, editor for school newspaper and 2 school magazines, tutors underclassmen in math

First semester senior year grades: A’s in everything except a B in Physics C

(side note I was waitlisted to 5 schools this sucks)

good luck everyone :smile: