UCLA Freshman Class of 2027 Waitlist/Appeal Thread

Thank You!

1 Like

Is there any (unofficial) pattern about how UCLA tends to choose from the waitlisted pool of applicants? For instance, if an in-state admitted student decides not to enroll on 5/1, would that spot be likely given to an in-state waitlisted student (as long as both students have similar characteristics in terms of diversity)? or to an OOS student because they pay higher tuition? I also heard an ex-Columbia admissions officer saying on Youtube that spots tend to be given to local students as they are more likely to accept.

It is not a 1 for 1 since all schools admit more than enroll and based on their yield which can be different for each College at UCLA as shown on last years enrollment information.

https://apb.ucla.edu/campus-statistics/admissions

The majority of students admitted off the waitlist will be in L&S which houses the majority of majors and has the highest applicant numbers. If OOS and International enrollment does not meet their target enrollment numbers, then they will admit from this group. The majority of waitlisted students will be in-state since they represent the highest numbers in the applicant pool. Admits will be based on their institutional needs first and foremost.

1 Like

Thank you!

3 Likes

What type of stuff is typically put in a waitlist statement. Should I keep it concise and just thank them for being able to waitlist me, or should I talk about how its my first choice and mention my college goals? I assume they dont really care and would prefer I keep it super short, but I wanted to make sure.

Updates on your 1st semester grades, new awards or achievements Anything that was not originally listed on your UC application that shows are you are a competitive applicant for UCLA.

My son submitted the essay and now wants to make some changes. Can he make changes after already submitting the essay?

You should be able to edit until the deadline which is today.

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

Daughter got off the waitlist!! She was not expecting this, we are going to Cal Day tomorrow!!

9 Likes

Congratulations! What is her major?

1 Like

Biological Science

1 Like

How did you find out? Is there a change to the portal?

Daughter received an email

1 Like

Congrats!!!
In state?

Yes! Southern CA

3 Likes

Congrats! What a great way to start off the weekend and Cal Day! Also good to see some in-state folks receive some good news.

3 Likes

Congratulations! Do you mind stats?

1 Like

Congrats! Did she get off from UCB or UCLA waitlist (asking since you mentioned Cal Day)? Also, is May 1 the deadline for SIR?

1 Like

@sirenlily’s daughter was previously admitted to UCB (among other schools) which is why they had already planned the visit to Cal Day. And now has been accepted off the UCLA waitlist. Congratulations are in order :heart: :tada:

4 Likes