Ucsb and uci chances?

Uc GPA: 4.05
Sat: 1430, 21 essay
MAJOR: computer science
Ecs: multiple clubs, leadership positions, competitions state, sports, community service including coding teaching, internship for coding, and also many awards from my internship and community service. I was also the leader for my coding internship
Essays: 8+/10. Id say all are really good but I do like my comp sci essay the best
Course rigor is also really good
Upward trend too! I had 2.3 GPA, then 3.6, then 4.0 and now my senior year I’m also doing very well

What are my chances at uci and ucsb?? I feel like these two are the one most likely for acceptance out of all my colleges,but also one of the ones I desire for computer science as well. I feel like ucsb might be harder but the way they look at essays/ecs more than uci kind of sways my opinion…but I do love uci location with job opportunities.

How are my chances? Thank you!

You have a great chance! I have a 4.11, but a 1280 and suspect ill get waitlisted.

Your UC GPA and SAT scores are within range. I think UCI will be a slightly easier admit than UCSB since their average UC GPA for CS was 4.11 and average SAT was a 1402 and they admit a higher # of applicants for CS than UCSB.

Best of luck.

@PastaKween thanks! And ur GPA is great man still u have a chance!

@Gumbymom can you please link the source of the admitted uc GPA for uci comp sci I couldn’t find it anywhere along wth ucsb…

Are you in state or OOS? I am OOS :confused:

I do not have a GPA/SAT average link for CS at UCSB but here is the UCI link:

http://www.oir.uci.edu/applications.html

Last year UCI had 3,373 applicants for CS, admitted 1,241 and enrolled 283.

I do not have 2017 data for UCSB, but in 2016 they 828 CS applicants and enrolled 75.

http://bap.ucsb.edu/institutional.research/planning.data.book/tables/academic.unit.coms.xlsx

@PastaKween I’m state…:frowning:

@Gumbymom wow these stats are surprising… I’m kinda relieved to see how much they accepted do you think I have a higher chance at ucsb or uci?

I think based on historical data and present data, you would a slightly higher chance at UCI. Although both schools UCI and UCSB received a record # of applicants this year, UCSB admits by major into the College of Engineering, while UCI admits into the University first then into the major, so there is always a chance you could get into UCI but not into CS. UCI also considers alternate majors more often than UCSB.

Freshman admit rates for UC GPA of 3.80-4.19 (capped weighted) but not major specific:
UCSB: 54%
UCI: 65%

Well I also applied to UCLA and am not confident at ALL either. Older brother got wait listed with a 3.98 and a 1380 for school of engineering. I applied to global studies…

@Gumbymom oh I see. Leaning towards ucsb at the moment…hopefully I have a strong chance to get in!

@battlekookie Did you take any SAT II exams? Son applied for computer science with 4.33 capped weighted but only 30 ACT and 1350 SAT. Didn’t take any SATII b/c he wants UCI which isn’t school of engineering. Wish they would give kids the school they want instead of it being such a crap shoot. They should let kids trade UC admission offers!

@copperlinex2 yes I did! I took sat 2 math and history but both were really bad and I couldn’t study for them again and maintain a solid GPA…I gg a 700 for math and for uci I think it’s more GPA, sat, ec and essays that count than sat subjects…in like 100% certain the reason for a denial is a sat 2 test

SAT II tests are only recommended not required but good scores can definitely help strengthen your application.

UC application review criteria for UCI and UCSB:

• IRVINE

• Very important: Academic GPA, Application essay, Extracurricular activities, Level of applicant's interest, Rigor of secondary school record, Standardized test scores, Talent/ability, Volunteer work, Work experience
  • Important: Character/personal qualities, Class rank
  • Considered: First generation college student, Geographical residence, State residency
  • Note: Demonstrated record of academic preparation, educational engagement, talent and skills important.
  • SANTA BARBARA
  •   Very important: Academic GPA, Application essay, Rigor of secondary school record, Standardized test scores

•   Considered: Character/personal qualities, Class rank, Extracurricular activities, First generation college student, Level of applicant's interest, State residency, Talent/ability, Volunteer work, Work experience

•   Note: Eligibility established by high school GPA, course requirement, and SAT scores. Special consideration for disadvantaged students.

@battlekookie did u pick a second major outside school of Engineering? Do you love UCSB enough to go without cs major, or would you choose UCI at that point?

@CopperlineX2 oh crap I realized I made a lot of typos in my recent post…I meant sat 2 shouldn’t be the reason for a denial!

And yes I applied for comp sci for ucsb and if I didn’t get the MAJOR then I would go to uci because there’s so many factors that I have to think of if I were to go to ucsb.

For one I would have to maintain a solid 3.8+ GPA to be competitive to switch into comp sci. If it works then great, but I don’t feel like the risk alone is worth. If that doesn’t work then I would have to go for something like math, data science, stats or even math computation, but even then those aren’t sufficient for a computer science career. The only answer to that would be a masters in comp sci and then I would have to focus on a really good college GPA in order to apply for masters. That in itself is very stressful and then another two years in college is not worth while I could be in the industry working at the age of 22.

All in all uci vs ucsb, ucsd, even ucla I feel like even tho the programs may be inferior, ultimately what I do will be the most important. I have friends attending uci and they’re currently working on many side projects, attended hack a Thons and worked for internships at big tech companies. That shows how much the name affects the job opportunities and how much more it’s the knowledge you gain during college that counts. I’m still a high school senior but hopefully I answered your question haha