UCSC or UCR?

<p>Well its a stereotype of ucr. You actually not a lot of ppl complain about it on campus. Like always its a few loud ppl that make sound bad. People usually want to transfer but and up liking it</p>

<p>I’ve visited there and even the tour guide person told me that alot of ppl don’t really like being there <.< <em>prob ruined my impression of the school</em></p>

<p>pretty much everyone I know that goes to UCR was because they got rejected everywhere else and for some reason they don’t even bother applying to Cal State’s or other private schools nor do they consider CCC. Eh, it just seems to me that people who think they are qualified for UC’s are hungup on going to one of them. I know a bunch more people this year who think they will go to UCR and transfer o_o</p>

<p>Ah, negative things about UCSC. Well, the list is unfortunately a bit long for me. In fact, the list is so long that I am planning to transfer to UCD, UCLA, or Cal. I’ve been admitted to UCSD and UCSB so far, and I am waiting to hear from the rest of the UCs. </p>

<p>I guess the main problem is that Santa Cruz is not my ‘fit’ college. I passed up some of the mid tiers as a freshman because I really enjoyed the Santa Cruz campus atmosphere when I visited. I know many people who are in a similar predicament (wishing they chose another UC out of high school), but I also know many others who love the relaxed environment.</p>

<p>GL with your transfer :D. Maybe I’ll see you at Cal XD though you prob ignore me :(</p>

<p>Haha, thanks. The UC-UC transfer process is quite unpredictable, so I don’t really know how I stack up at UCB/UCLA. I really just want to go to Davis. It has everything that I could ask for in a campus.</p>

<p>haha i got rejected there :(. and working on my appeal to UCLA since i got nothing to lose :D</p>

<p>NP Shibykin, no offense taken, glad you pointed out the correct OP! </p>

<p>Blacktofu10, I hope you get in a visit to both schools, may make your decision easier.</p>

<p>Would a stronger sciences/premed (UCR) be more important than a not so prestigious science/premed school that has a major that might allow for more opportunities/future flexibility in career choice (Health Sciences at UCSC)?</p>

<p>Yeah I guess that’s really what I’m weighing between right now is how much of a difference there would be between UCSC’s sciences (Biology and Health Sciences) and UCR’s sciences/premed. Is UCR that much better? and I’m hearing that UCSC isn’t that much on the sciences, is this true? </p>

<p>Even though this may be true, Santa Cruz does have Health Sciences while UCR does not, and Health Sciences would be useful in preparing for any medical career, whether or not I decide to stick with medicine for the long run and for so long in school. If do in the future decide to change to something requiring less time in school (ie. nursing), the Health Sciences might come more in handy than a Biology major. At least that’s what I’m thinking. </p>

<p>Sorry for all the questions in one post. This is just what I’ve been going over in my mind, and it’s just frustrating how both options intrigue me and it is so 50/50 that neither school tips the scales.</p>

<p>I guess you ll have to come and visit both campuses and see what they have to offer</p>

<p>blacktofu, if you haven’t already, sign up for the Spring Spotlight for UCSC :slight_smile: and ask the science department booth,students,professor,tour guide,w.e -.- about the Health Science major :). </p>

<p>I’ll say this again :smiley: and hopefully you think about it. You already stressed/struggled through high school thinking about where you would apply to and now you have the options in front of you. Now UCLA transfer acceptance rate has been historically low for both CC(and definitely lower for UC transfer). The Thomas Haider program may look very appealing, but you have to take in consideration theres probably alot of people like you who’s planning on UCR to compete for the limited spots :(. Do you want to have even more pressure to do well, just so you can transfer. Also if you don’t get in, will you still be motivated to do well D:. Or would you rather go to UCSC, where you can focus on just doing well without the big pressure of transferring and then in ur sophomore year, just try and do a UC transfer applications to the UCs you want including UCLA. I work better with less stress, but thats just me :).</p>

<p>The Thomas Haider program is probably very competitive and the people who are competing against you are probably gonna try to screw your grade over, so they will have a better chance of going in. With a lower gpa, you’ll have a harder time transferring anywhere -.-. No one is really competing with you at UCSC, since theres no transfer program, so you probably will have less chance of screwing over ur GPA and then if you want you can transfer to whichever UC you want :), and maybe UCLA also :D.</p>

<p>Whichever UC you choose doesnt really matter, Med school want high GPA and since all the UCs are regarded as good schools, it doesn’t matter much which UC you go to.</p>

<p>Plus alot of people end up changing out of pre med.</p>

<p>Jason, the way you hard sell UCR is unnecessary. Riverside does get hot, very hot, for pretty much the entire summer. If you can’t even admit to this fact, then i don’t know why people should listen to you. </p>

<p>Back to the topic, UCR has a great pre-med track for the ambitious, if you have no doubt this is the path you want to follow, then come to UCR. Otherwise, give UCSC a serious look.</p>

<p>how much better is ucr with its premed and sciences than ucsc tho? and how good exactly is ucsc’s sciences for the medical field(health science major and bio majors), and how much of an impact does ucsc’s narrative grading impact have? like how is it evaluated with the overall letter grade. sorry for all the q’s…hehe</p>

<p>blacktofu, you made like 6 threads on this and repeated the same question throughout ur thread <.<. Just GO TO BOTH CAMPUSES AND ASK ABOUT THE MAJOR -.-(I went to UCSC today and they make it sound very good, you’re required to take the spanish language classes for the medical terms and seem like it’ll give you a big advantage for w.e medical school you get into later on).</p>

<p>haha sorry its just That I dont find that hot because I am from the desert.</p>

<p>here something interesting I found about UCR</p>

<p>[UCR:</a> Living the Promise: Homepage](<a href=“http://promise.ucr.edu/]UCR:”>http://promise.ucr.edu/)</p>

<p>i know shibykin, sorry=/ i need a life and fiends i know</p>

<p>seriously… this is your future, take some initiative don’t expect people on CC to make your decision.</p>

<p>I would totally pick UCSC over UCR. UCSC does have a very nice campus but you really have to like the outdoors and trees and all that to be ok living there. When i visited it i couldn’t even believe it was a school- there are SO many trees and bridges and it’s just a very very woodsy place. UCR is a nice campus but it’s not that great, plus riverside is insanely hot and smoggy and there’s not a lot to do nearby. SFSU is an ok campus in my opinion but i’ve heard a lot of complaints about the availability of classes and the overall quality of life at that school. plus it just looks so institutional to me, like not a lot of student life. good luck with whatever you choose!</p>

<p>about the trees…my son is at Cowell and there is a cherry blossom tree right outside the window. And that is one of the things he really likes. I picked him up at Spring break, and it was really beautiful. It’s a very awe inspiring setting I feel.</p>