UCSC Specified Major vs UCI Undeclared Major

I got provisional admittance to both schools but I’m still a bit iffy on whether or not to go with either one. On one hand, I got a Computer Science Major for UCSC and I’ve heard that the major is better than the school when it comes to decisions. However, there is still UCI and that it’s considered to be one of the “Public Ivy’s” and since my Major is undeclared, I could push for Computer Science as well there or perhaps another option. But that’s still not a guarantee though so I would like advice. Thank you.

I am always advocating for the direct admit into the CS major just do the competition and popularity of Computer Science.

There is always a risk if you are Undeclared at UCI in switching into the CS major. The question to ask: Will you be happy at UCI if you do not get into CS? If yes, then great and take the risk. If not, then UCSC is the obvious choice.

Also there is no such thing as a “Public Ivy”. UCI is a top school period. No need to put on a fake label for prestige sake.

Hi I had a question. Idk if you could answer it, but I’m currently a senior and I want to apply into UCI for nursing, however their acceptance rate for that is 1.7%. I was wondering if I should go undeclared or into psychology then change my major by applying for nursing in my sophomore year. I also heard that UCI has strict courses for their majors and I don’t know if that applies for psychology too. I know what prerequisites I need to take for nursing during my freshman year, but I don’t know if I will be able to take them all before applying for nursing in sophomore year.

@parkc: Rule of thumb is if you have a specific question, you need to start your own discussion. See my PM.

This discussion is closed.