**UCSD Class of 2025 Waitlist Discussion**

If a student does not a accept the waitlist offer, then they move on down their list.

Thanks again!

Hi Gumbymom. My son was accepted at UCSD, but not for his major (Computer Science). Itā€™s devastating because he was either waitlisted or denied at the other UCs he applied to (Waitlisted at UCI, UCD, and UCSC), denied UCSB and UCLA. He doesnā€™t want to go to UCSD if he canā€™t major in Computer Science and is considering a gap year. Question: Is there any way he can get on a waitlist at UCSD for his #1 major choice Computer Science? Would that be an appeal?

Hi Gumbymom, thanks for the reply to my previous question. When students are offered admission from the waitlist are given their choice of major or is it undeclared? Also if it is undeclared would they get an option to choose CS or Data Science later. Thanks!

1 Like
  1. As admitted student, you cannot appeal to be on the waitlist for a major change. He would have to enroll and go through the change of major process and take his chances with all the other students.

2. He cannot appeal either since appeals are reserved to denied admissions.

Sorry I cannot give you any good news.

The majority of students that are waitlisted for the high demand/capped majors will get off the waitlist as either the alternate major or Undeclared. I have seen very few waitlisted applicants that are admitted off the waitlist into their first choice major. Remember, all schools admit far more applicants than enroll so they are usually on top of their expected yield unlike last year.

1 Like

whats the acceptance rate off the waitlist at UCSD? also should I send a LOCI?

UCSD does not consider LOCIā€™s. All you can do is opt into the waitlist.

Stats for waitlist are below and no one knows the acceptance rate since it varies from year to year.

2020:
Number accepting a place on the waiting list: 19700
Number of wait-listed students admitted: 5300

2019:
Number of qualified applicants offered a place on waiting list: 19976
Number accepting a place on the waiting list: 12426
Number of wait-listed students admitted: 4313

No Data for 2018

2017:
Number of qualified applicants offered a place on waiting list: 9465
Number accepting a place on the waiting list: 5998
Number of wait-listed students admitted: 967

3 Likes

my son hoping for one of his WLs (UCSC and UCSD) coming through. he applied CS and obviously that was a rough major! much rougher than we anticipated.

1 Like

Do we have to send final grades to get a decision?
Is the waitlist ranked or are students picked based on fit?
I got accepted to UCD and plan to attend, can i get a refund for the enrollment deposit if I am accepted to UCSD and decide to go there?

they donā€™t give refunds if you change which school you plan on going to

Iā€™m in the same situation as your son except I didnā€™t apply to UCSC. Kinda hoping for UCSD to pull through.

1 Like

Thank you so much for replying Gumbymom. Do you know if that is the same for the other UCs as well (In particular Davis, Santa Cruz and Irvineā€¦if one is chosen off the waitlist, is it likely not for the major they applied for if it is an impacted one (i.e. Computer Science) or is that just a UCSD quirk?

UCI is similar to UCSD which does admit into the University first and then into the major. Not unheard for the majority of waitlisted students to get their alternate major or Undeclared.

For UC Santa Cruz, to be considered for the CS major you have to apply direct to the College of Engineering but they do consider an alternate major within the College.

For UC Davis, CS is in the College of L&S but it overlaps with CSE in the College of Engineering. UCD rarely considers the alternate major so if admitted, they will admit into the 1st choice major if possible.

Going through the Waitlist threads last year, I saw a couple of CS admits off the waitlist both for UCSC and UCD.

1 Like

I got waitlisted as an international student. My school is relatively small and only one classmate got accepted, while I was waitlisted. Are the chances for getting off the waitlist slim since they accepted her and we are from the same school? Does being international also effect my chances? Last question, should I talk to a UCSD advisor to ask what my options are for transferring in the future but also still be able to be on the waitlist? Thank you

I do not know of any school that has a quota so having a classmate accepted should not alter your chances.
The admit rate from the waitlist varies from year to year so there is no definitive answer to your question.
Being International probably helps your chances since you are a full pay student but it is not a guarantee.
You can email a UCSD advisor about transfer options but you might want to wait a few weeks until things settle down after decisions.

https://admissions.ucsd.edu/international/

Ok thank you for your insight. I understand about how things should calm down, however they said waitlist decisions would be out by June, but the community college I plan to go to has a deadline of April 30th. I was thinking of doing virtual advising. Does applying to community college with the University Link program effect my chances of getting off the waitlist?

I would not be signing up for any community college classes until you hear from the waitlist. Once you start taking CC classes unless they are dual enrollment through your HS, you will be considered a Transfer student.

If admitted off the waitlist, you want to maintain your Freshman status so wait until the summer.

So as long as I do not sign up for any classes should I be ok? If I only make my account but donā€™t take any classes that would at least save me in case I am not accepted.

You can make an account, but do not sign up for classes or take any classes until you hear from the waitlist.