UCSD vs. UCI

<p>Erica, </p>

<p>You are correct that UCSD is most definitely prestigious in the sense that there are many programs within UCSD that are top ranked in USWNR and ranked even higher in other less SUBJECTIVE reports as well. </p>

<p>Keep in mind that the USWNR has in the past been slightly off due to the subjective portion of rankings. Departments that no longer exist have remained ranked due name recognition in the past... </p>

<p>This information is subject to change (in a good way):</p>

<p>"UC San Diego is ranked as the 7th best public university in the United States according to the 2009 U.S. News & World Report college rankings, and it is ranked 35th among all universities in the United States by the same publication.[25] In 2007, The Times Higher Education Supplement ranked UC San Diego as 58th in the world overall[22], 11th in the world for biomedicine[26], and 27th in the world for natural sciences[27]. The 2007 Academic Ranking of World Universities released by Shanghai Jiao Tong University ranked UC San Diego 12th[16] in the United States and 14th[15] in the world based on achievements and publications of the faculty. The Graham-Diamond report[28] ranks UCSD 8th overall in the country, including top-10 rankings in biological sciences (3rd), economics (5th), social and behavioral sciences (7th) and physics (9th). In the 2006 Newsweek Magazine review, "America's 25 Hottest Colleges," UC San Diego was selected as the "Hottest for Science," noting the school's location, research grants, tradition, and diverse topics of study as key points.[29] In its 2007 annual college rankings, The Washington Monthly ranks UC San Diego fourth nationally with criteria based on research, community service, and social mobility.[24] In its 2008 report on best values in public colleges, Kiplinger ranked UC San Diego 11th in the nation for in-state value and 17th in the nation for out-of-state value.[30]</p>

<p>In the Biological and Physical Sciences, according to the US News and World Report rankings of graduate programs, the UC San Diego biology program is ranked 2nd in neuroscience and neurobiology, 6th in genetics and genomics, and 10th in cell biology. In 2008, US News and World Report ranked the graduate School of Medicine as 14th in the nation for medical research[12] and 35th for primary care[13]. UC San Diego's graduate program in behavioral neuroscience was ranked second in the nation while its cognitive psychology program was ranked third. The UC San Diego physics program is ranked 6th in plasma and 10th in condensed matter and low temperature physics. UC San Diego chemistry program is ranked 7th in biochemistry. UC San Diego's earth sciences program is ranked 5th in geophysics and seismology. In the Social Sciences, the UC San Diego Economics department is ranked 10th in the nation; Econometrics, a subdiscipline of Economics, is ranked 2nd in the nation, right below Massachusetts Institute of Technology. The Department of Political Science is ranked 7th overall. UCSD is also ranked among the world’s elite universities in Life and Agriculture Sciences (14th)[19]; the Natural Sciences and Mathematics (19th)[17]; Clinical Medicine and Pharmacy (25th)[20]; and the Social Sciences (26th).[21]</p>

<p>The Jacobs School of Engineering overall was ranked 11th in the nation.[14] All five of the Jacobs School's academic departments were ranked in the top 20: The Department of Bioengineering, ranked 2nd in the nation for biomedical engineering behind Johns Hopkins.[31] The department has ranked among the top five programs in the nation every year for the past decade. The Jacobs School of Engineering is also the 10th best in the world for engineering/technology and computer sciences, according to an academic ranking of the top 100 world universities published online in February 2008 by the Institute of Higher Education, Shanghai Jiao Tong University.[18] The Department of Computer Science and Engineering (CSE), ranked highly in all categories surveyed: computer systems (9), computer science (13), theory (14), programming language (17) and artificial intelligence (19). The Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, ranked 16th in mechanical engineering and 19th in aerospace engineering; the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE), ranked 16th in electrical engineering and communications, and 17th in computer engineering; and the Department of Structural Engineering, ranked 17th in the specialty of civil engineering. The interdisciplinary Bioinformatics program, which is offered jointly by eight UC San Diego departments including the Jacobs School's bioengineering and computer science and engineering departments, ranked 6th in the nation."</p>

<p>Those who think UCSD competes with the mid tier UCs academically are out of their minds. The Faculty boasts WAY more prestige than those at the mid tiers. Plus, not to mention UCSD's academic programs compete more with UCLA and UCB. According to US News Rankings, UCSD is much higher in the science fields than the mid tier UC's and even higher than UCLA for some. (Engineering and Biomed at that). </p>

<p>I'm sorry to offend Pro-Davis/Irvine/SB ppl who try to bring SD down with them, but there is no way possible that SD will ever drop below or compete with those 3 mid tiers academically. The only reason to why UCSD isnt as high as UCB/UCLA (admissions rates included) is because of the fact that it is MUCH newer and lacks the Division 1 sports and football team. </p>

<p>UCSD already has the academics down. Now if they just pour some of that money into athletics and other programs it will only keep going higher and higher in prestige.</p>

<p>For some reason, I doubt UCSD is seen in the general public to compete academically with UCB/UCLA.</p>

<p>UCSD is NOT on tier with UCB/UCLA. This is mainly due to: academic rigor, athletics, admissions. It's still a great place for undergrad, though.</p>

<p>I dunno where you have been but sorry... academically especially in the science department... they would be considered in the tier.</p>

<p>There are many other factors that keep at as the #3 in the UC system.</p>

<p>The reason I'm saying they are NOT with the mid tier UC's is because the last time UCSD was NOT #3 in the UC system was back in 1996. UCSB/UCI/UCD are WAY closer in stats and im SORRY to burst those bubbles that are pro mid tier UC's goers but there is no way that SD will be surpassed by any of those 3 unless the school itself blows up. SB/I/D have always been switching around places with each other BECAUSE of their stats being so close.</p>

<p>SD may not be on par with B/LA but it certainly is not on the same par as D/I/SB. And when the Colleges report themselves to magazines they do consider SD in the top tier.</p>

<p>In Bioengineering, yes. Otherwise, no, it's simply not on par. I must say this is quite a dead topic, I'm done posting here. Good luck convincing yourself, though.</p>

<p>
[quote]
I dunno where you have been but sorry... academically especially in the science department... they would be considered in the tier.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Every school has it's few shining programs. UCSD has it's bioengineering/neuroscience etc. I give it that. Outside of a few select programs, I think it is still misspoken to think UCSD is miles and leagues ahead of UCI. Most hurting its reputation probably is that UCSD has developed somewhat of a reputation as a school for UCLA-rejects in SoCal. And the same would be for UCD/UCB relationship in NorCal.</p>

<p>Agreed, like I said, UCSD is better than Cal and UCLA at Bioenginnering, but that's it.</p>

<p>However, your second point isn't entirely accurate. I know lots people who chose UCSD over UCLA and UCD over UCB. It all boils down to preference, really.</p>

<p>Preference is with every college. Basically if you feel comfortable and are happy where you are... thats all that matters. When you're happy you are more likely to shine there and when you shine at a top notch school like any UC... youre good to go.</p>

<p>
[quote]
For some reason, I doubt UCSD is seen in the general public to compete academically with UCB/UCLA.

[/quote]

He said it competes more with UCB/UCLA than with UCD/UCSB/UCI. The point we've been trying to stress all along is that UCSD may not be directly on par with UCB/UCLA, but it belongs more with those schools than it does with the mid-tier UCs. The general public at least sees a significant prestige difference between UCSD and D/SB/I; whenever I tell someone that I'm going to UCSD, I usually get responses like "Wow, that's a really tough school to get into!" I have heard people at school talk about cracking the grades for Davis and SB, but nobody seems all that impressed when someone gets into either of them. Irvine isn't talked about at all since I live in NorCal, but I can only assume the same is true.</p>

<p>
[quote]
UCSD is NOT on tier with UCB/UCLA. This is mainly due to: academic rigor, athletics, admissions.

[/quote]

Academic rigor - These days, academic rigor basically translates into academic competition, and it is very difficult to tell on your own how difficult a school is when compared to another. This is why you look around the internet for past students' reviews on these colleges. If you look at reviews for UCB, UCLA, and UCSD, you will see plenty of commentary on the cutthroat academic competition that each of these schools has. You will rarely see comments like this for any of the other UCs, if at all.
Athletics - D-I football can certainly help bolster a school's reputation, but it's not a requirement. Schools like MIT, CalTech, UChicago, and Johns Hopkins don't have D-I football and they're doing just fine. UCSD isn't any different, so this should be negligible.
Admissions - I've said this before and I'll say it again: the average GPA and SAT scores of UCSD admits are closer to those of UCB/UCLA (although admittedly a bit lower) than they are to those of the mid-tier UCs, and GPA and SAT are undoubtedly the most important admission factors for the UCs. It's only slightly closer this year, but this isn't the best year to use as an example since the difference has been greater in past years.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Every school has it's few shining programs. UCSD has it's bioengineering/neuroscience etc. I give it that. Outside of a few select programs, I think it is still misspoken to think UCSD is miles and leagues ahead of UCI.

[/quote]

Then it's even more misspoken to think UCLA is miles and leagues ahead of UCSD, going by what I just said. And yes, each school has its specialty but UCSD is more than just bioengineering and neuroscience - basically any science/engineering related major is a good pick there, plus some others like Econ for example.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Most hurting its reputation probably is that UCSD has developed somewhat of a reputation as a school for UCLA-rejects in SoCal. And the same would be for UCD/UCB relationship in NorCal.

[/quote]

UCSD does have a bit of a reputation as a backup school for UCB/UCLA among certain demographics, although it is close enough in prestige to those two schools to be chosen over them with a valid reason. It's the kind of school that's a match when UCB/UCLA are slight reaches, whereas the rest of the UCs would be safeties.</p>

<p>I agree with everything you just said z7xFla. I get alot of very impressed responses to when I say I'll be attending UCSD whereas UCD and UCI admitted ALOT more ppl at my school.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Most hurting its reputation probably is that UCSD has developed somewhat of a reputation as a school for UCLA-rejects in SoCal. And the same would be for UCD/UCB relationship in NorCal.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I commend z7xFla and OoPurestOo to have great pro-UCSD school pride. But for the rest of the population not involved in the academics... this is generally accurate statement on how folks see the UCs stereotypically. It is just competition within the UC system.</p>

<p>Dmission is right about this being a dead topic.</p>

<p>And for those who chose a mid tier UC over UCSD because of the so-called "social aspect" WHICH in fact can be broken by getting out of your dorm once in a while wherever you go, you don't have to bring UCSD down to your level. </p>

<p>End of discussion.</p>

<p>Just curious...</p>

<p>Cal is almost 3 times as old as UCSD and UCLA is almost twice as old as UCSD. (Davis is also about twice as old as SD)</p>

<p>Do you think in a few decades, SD will be generally as prestigious as UCLA or Cal (if not more)? USNews ranked SD as one of the top schools in the nation that are "on the rise"</p>

<p>I wish I could go to either of these schools.</p>

<p>Just curious...</p>

<p>Cal is almost 3 times as old as UCSD and UCLA is almost twice as old as UCSD. (Davis is also about twice as old as SD)</p>

<p>Do you think in a few decades, SD will be generally as prestigious as UCLA or Cal (if not more)? USNews ranked SD as one of the top schools in the nation that are "on the rise"</p>

<p>I do agree definitely...</p>

<p>I would agree if I went to UCSD too.</p>

<p>UCSD for sure</p>

<p>UCI doesnt even come close....</p>

<p>^^ times do change. i wouldn't bet money on it.</p>