UIC Honors Chance me?

I did apply but I’m freaking out I won’t get in, since this is the only college I’m applying to (I got into UIC, honors is still under review).

ACT: 32
Unweighted GPA: 4.3/4.0 (idk that’s what it says on my transcript)
AP Calculus: 4
AP Chemistry: 3
Taking AP Physics 1, Calc BC, and AP Bio this year
Class rank: 11/306
400+ hours of volunteer work
Drum Major of Marching Band
President of 3 clubs at school
3 time 1st place Science Fair winner at regional level. (never made it to international, but this is excluded in my application)
Tons of other clubs.

I’m not applying to GPPA because I’m not an Illinois resident yet, I’m moving after I graduate. Why do they even have this residential requirement? It makes no sense???

Buuummpp

Not all of the GPPA programs require Illinois residency. The mindset of the health care colleges is that they are graduating future practitioners for the state of Illinois. If your parents aren’t moving to Illinois, it will be very hard to gain residency. Without parents, you will need to live instate for a year. You cannot live in campus housing. Finally, you need to earn at least half of all your expenses. That last requirement is the hard one. http://www.uaps.uillinois.edu/students/residency/requirements.asp

You should be accepted into Honors College but you might not hear from them until spring.

They do have an out of state student tuition waiver for in-state tuition.

Since you are not an Illinois resident, many scholarships and grants will be closed to you.

@nova10

So, for the scholarships and grants, which ones are available to out of state students? I’ve scoured their scholarships pages and can’t find more info on their scholarships and grants.

Oh, and I wanted to do the dental GPPA program. So I can’t qualify for that one, unfortunately. And I’m so not ready to work that much to the point where I can earn half of my school tuition and fees. My parents are moving to Illinois this summer, but because our tax stuff is for another state right now (that isn’t even close to IL) I won’t qualify for in-state until next year. And do you happen to know where the waiver can be found, or at least more info on it?

And thank you so much!! :smiley:

You can always apply for regular admissions to dentistry when the time comes. In terms of in-state residency, since your parents are moving with you; you become eligible for in-state tuition the following semester. So, if you move in the summer, you can potentially be considered in-state by the fall. Your parents just need to be permanent state residents per state law which is more relaxed than university rules. You don’t have to wait the one year. They need to show that they are now living in Illinois. You will need to have copies of their new Illinois driver’s license/state id and so on. The worst case scenario is that you won’t be considered in-state until spring. You will have to petition for a residency change. http://www.uaps.uillinois.edu/students/residency/petition.asp

Here is some information about the waiver grant. You should contact financial aid for more specific information. http://financialaid.uic.edu/instgrants.shtml

The big in-state grant is the MAP grant.

Just remember to file FAFSA by the priority date and actually talk to a financial aid rep about your unique circumstances. Once you switch from OOS to in state, new funding can appear.

@Nova10

Oh my gosh, thank you! That petition might just save me thousands of dollars, and I had no idea it existed. I still have yet to talk to the financial aid reps, so it’s partly my fault I’m so uninformed, but you’ve certainly helped me out! As long as I can prove my residency in Illinois by the listed deadline for each term, I should be okay?

Once changed to in-state residency, you won’t have to worry about it again. Once done, it is done forever.