UM and Engineering?

<p>So I have recently re-fell in love with UM. From location, weather and the students, I would love to be apart of this University. I applied EA to show how much I want to be here. I really want to major in engineering. With UM, you hear about Marine Biology, Journalism & Communication and Business majors, but not a lot about engineering. Can anyone tell me more about the engineering program at UM and should I come to UM for engineering? I'm alittle tentative, plus I want to do electrical engineering.</p>

<p>I can’t tell you a lot except that my DS is very interested in UM for engineering also (BME). We went to engineering presentation last winter and he thought it sounded good. The course schedule for every kind of engineering that UM offers is on its website. Have you checked that? They also appear to have a lot of research, internships and job opportunities for UM engineering students. I guess it depends where you want to work. </p>

<p>My DS has applied to several other schools that well-known for engineering (and he is likely to get in to some of them), but when looking at the schools on the whole, he is more in love with UM. And if he goes there, I would not be surprised if South Florida is where he stays after college. Just loves it there so local job opportunities would be a plus.</p>

<p>I feel like I am in the same position as your son. While UM is no my top choice, it is definitely high on my list. I did see the engineering course offerings and the program seems legit. If I get in and get rejected from my ED school, I will try my best to be a freshman at UM next year.</p>

<p>I also am in a similar situation as you guys UM is one of my top choices but their engineering program is not very highly ranked. Although i’m not sure how much the ranking plays true.</p>

<p>My son is a UM engineering student and is very happy with the program. The size of the engineering school is small, so there are opportunities to get to know professors and get involved. And the overall experience at UM is wonderful. I wouldn’t focus on engineering program rankings. If you study and do well, job opportunities will abound.</p>