UM or FIU?

<p>Hoping for a little advice.</p>

<p>Current situation:</p>

<p>Accepted into both with scholarships.
FIU = Free and 1 year off (IB Credits)
UM = $5,000 in loans per year and $5,000 out of the pocket that might produce some financial hardships.</p>

<p>Want to study law, hopefully go to UM law school but not looking forward to excessive loans. Looking at a Business undergrad (for corporate law) </p>

<p>Question is, is UM worth it? </p>

<p>Thanks for the input</p>

<p>What you could do is go to FIU for a year and transfer.</p>

<p>From what i’ve heard(I may go there) the law school at FIU is very competitive and above average for law school. Dont take my word for it, but FIU sounds much more affordable to you and your family, and the program is more than respectable at the school. Remember, if you still plan to go to law school afterwards, a lot of debt is not a good thing.</p>

<p>I would strongly advise against what pakman52 said. If you go to FIU, your UM scholarship will not be guaranteed after 1 year.</p>

<p>20,000 in loans is not that much assuming its federal loans. Once you get to law school, you will possibly be in 100k+ in debt easily.</p>

<p>Now whether its worth it or not depends on you. I’m in a similar position, have to pay 10k, and I am getting paid to go to FIU. I would get a year off at FIU and I am also going from Business to Corporate Law.</p>

<p>I choose UM.</p>

<p>I was a slacker in highschool and FIU is basically 13th grade (my school is exactly 20 blocks away from FIU). I knew that I needed a change of pace and that I would do much better @UM compared to FIU.</p>

<p>Rank is highly overrated. Whether you are going to FIU or UM does not make much of a difference as far as employers go in most cases. To ask whether its worth it depends more so on you (Granted, there are more opportunities at UM i.e. Global Business Forum).</p>

<p>I think this is the best way to put it… Which do you think is best for your future?</p>

<p>For me, getting into debt so that I can go to UM was the obvious choice. The motivation, the opportunities, and the overall enjoyment I would get from going to UM (I’ve basically known I was going to be a Cane since I was 9), far outweighs the monetary amount that I’m losing by not going to FIU.</p>

<p>It makes sense for me to go to UM both educationally, and for long-term monetary goals. </p>

<p>The question is, how much is UM worth for you?</p>

<p>Honestly, Both the business and law programs are regionally ranked with FIU plus you have the whole incentive of it be cost free for you… The school is becoming mosre competitive and UM doesnt have the best law programs when it comes to private schools in general</p>