UM vs FSU

<p>I am also posting this in the FSU forum to get a different perspective. </p>

<p>My issue:</p>

<p>I am currently a student at FSU for the summer term, and had turned down University of Miami because I did not really like it. However I recently had a change of heart because I dislike FSU, and feel that the budget issues are ruining the university. I found out about the amazing opportunities pre-med students have at Miami. I have had my Miami admission reinstated and I can attend for fall. My question: is it worth if? I have joined some clubs here at FSU, and have become acclimated to the university. Miami will be 7k/year more than FSU. Do you think that as a pre-med student, Miami would offer much better opportunities to justify going?</p>

<p>Overall, Miami is a much better school than FSU. I can’t say much about the pre-med program, but I know there are a few on here who can attest to the fact that the program is really good. That being said, if you feel comfortable enough at FSU that you’d be able to finish the rest of your time there, I’d say stick with it. However, if you dislike FSU enough that you are truly miserable there, I’d say take Miami up on their offer. $7k/year is a lot of money difference, it’s just a matter of whether YOU think you’d be $7k/year happier at UM than at FSU.</p>

<p>As Marinebio said, UM has a much better program in general. For me, personally, UM would be 100% worth it. If you were pre-law, I would say stick it out, but the undergraduate institution you attend actually seems to play a significant role in med school admissions. Then again, a 4.0 GPA at FSU will still be better than a 3.7 at UM, so you’ll want to keep that in mind.</p>

<p>Additionally, the relatively small student body means that you get close interaction with professors, meaning you can likely get better letters of recommendation when applying to schools. It also means that there are less students vying for research opportunities, and research is instrumental in gaining acceptance to quality med schools.</p>

<p>In terms of the overall feel of the campus - have you spent any time at UM? If that’s your only concern with FSU, I’d just be concerned because the schools aren’t all that different in terms of atmosphere, IMO.</p>

<p>Yeah, Miami is better but it’s just that I don’t know if I can justify the increase in cost and in leaving what I already have. How is UF? I could technically still go there and it would cost the same as FSU…</p>

<p>Why on earth would you pick FSU over UF? For undergrad, unless you’re doing marine science or some other field the FSU specializes in, I can’t ever see that being justified.</p>

<p>I think UM is worth an extra $7000 per year, but that obviously depends far more on you. Are you going to take advantage of everything that UM has to offer over FSU? If not, then there’s no point in paying the extra money. But if you’re going to take advantage of what UM has to offer, that has great potential to get you into a better med school, and that would be worth it, IMO.</p>

<p>If you are upset with the budget cuts at FSU- then I can’t imagine you will be thrilled at UF. If you enjoy the community and spirit that are prevalent at FSU and UF, then you should know that this is not the case at UM. I tell you this as a proud UMiami grad with a D who is an FSU grad. It just isn’t the same. However, if you want a more personal education where classes are smaller, then I would say UM is for you. UF and FSU are huge and the budget cuts are not getting any better. K-12 and higher ed in Florida have taken a hit in recent years and it isn’t getting any better.</p>

<p>I would say that University of Miami is the superior “launching pad” for med school, as compared to FSU. In which case, spending the extra tuition, if your parents have it, is worth it.</p>

<p>However, I know people who have gotten into med school from Nova Southeastern University, and Florida International University.</p>

<p>Does UF hold an advantage over FSU for med school? I think I may go to UF because Miami is more expensive. I also heard that UF has the best science programs in the state…</p>

<p>Yes, UF definitely holds an advantage over FSU for med school. No, Miami has the best science programs in the state. But if money is a major concern, go UF.</p>

<p>Okay thanks for the advice! But I went on US News, and it says UF is 46 for biology, and 36 for chemistry, and Miami was in the 80s and 90s… can someone clarify whether UF or Miami has the better science programs???</p>

<p>Also, I got into UF’s honors program. I had a 33 ACT. Unfortunately, I didn’t get into Miami’s. I easily met their test score requirement, but my class rank isn’t stellar.</p>

<p>Those rankings are for graduate programs, meaning reviewing the quality of the faculty in individual fields. That’s not very important for an undergrad, because you want to be more concerned with teaching rankings, as opposed to how many publications your professors are writing yearly.</p>

<p>For undergraduate programs you probably want to concern yourself, primarily, with how well the school teaches its students and how the school is, in general, for undergrad students. If you’re interested in research, perhaps pay a bit more attention to those graduate school rankings. If you’re interested in grad/professional school (including med school) you want to also weigh the prestige of the school a bit (basically meaning US News rankings).</p>

<p>But both UF and UM would be good choices.</p>

<p>To me, UM is the better choice because of the ample resources with which it will provide you. But, hey, anyone who goes to UF would probably say the opposite.</p>

<p>Having a child graduate from FSU and entering med school (she is now an M4, or 4th year med student) I can opine that neither UF nor UM are going to get you into med school over Florida State. Your entry into med school depends on your grades, your undergraduate research, your MCAT score and your maturity as evidenced in interviews and commitment to medicine. My daughter graduated from the FSU Honors program in biochemistry and won a university award for her undergrad research in that field (strongly supported by FSU). She also graduated Phi Beta Kappa, which is a definite plus as it shows a diverse education. US News ratings after a certain level (say Tier 1 schools) are hardly going to compensate you in gaining med school admission if you lack the essentials.</p>

<p>Ratings of graduate programs DO make a difference to undergrads as those professors and grad students teach and work with undergrads. They shape the direction of the undergrad program significantly.</p>

<p>The general poor economic situation affects ALL universities. Miami has had significant cutbacks as the school receives a lot of state and federal monies. Miami is hardly immune to cuts. UF is in the same boat with FSU. There is zero advantage I see in a lateral transfer there. You will only slow your education with a lateral transfer and spend more doing it.</p>

<p>Save all the money you can. You are at FSU now - stay and maximize your education by developing your relationships with faculty. The extra $7k/year is NOT worth it to go to a private school like a Miami. Save that money for living expenses during graduate school. You will need it.</p>

<p>I am a parent to one Nole, and I am a UM grad. Having experience with both schools makes me want to tell you that only you can make this decision. Both schools have their strengths and weaknesses. </p>

<p>As far as budget cuts go, they are worse at FSU and UF. UM offers a more personalized education because it has a small student body- and yes, it does cost more. It really just depends on your wants and needs. As far as med school admissions, Parent2noles is correct- great grades/test scores/research is going to be a prerequisite whether you are at FSU or UM.</p>

<p>Make a pro/con list. Consider YOUR own needs. My oldest D loved FSU, the spirit, and sense of community. However, D2, who is a high school sophomore, has different needs and I would not want her to attend such a huge university. Interestingly, D2 gets higher grades than D1 used to achieve. Bottom line- it depends on what you want and need. Is the $7,000.00 worth it? To some people yes- and to others no. I shake my head at any parent that would attempt to answer such a question without knowing you. </p>

<p>D1 graduated from FSU in 2010 and now has a wonderful job in another city. It really is what you make of it- but you need to be in the right school for YOU. Only YOU can decide what school is the right school, and you may always second guess your decision. Once you make your choice go with it and enjoy your college years.</p>

<p>I decided to transfer to the university of florida! I really liked the research aspect of their medical school, and their science for life program can get me started on clinical research early. thanks again to all of you for offering great advice!</p>