UM wants almost half of parents income?

<p>I am extremely interested in attending UM and would love to go there but I just used their net price calculator and they are giving me a $35,000 COA and my parents have a $85,000 AGI. Is this a lot to be paying or am is it the normal amount with respect to income. Below is what came out of the calculator. The $16,000 scholarship is based on my 31ACT btw. Thanks</p>

<p>Estimated total price of attendance: $55,454.00</p>

<p>Dean's Scholarship $16,000.00
Need-Based Grants $0.00</p>

<p>Estimated total UM Scholarships and grants: $16,000.00
Eligible for a Florida Academic Scholarship Award $3,030.00
Florida Resident Access Grant (FRAG) $2,149.00</p>

<p>Estimated total Florida Scholarships and grants: $5,179.00
Estimated total financial aid:
(includes both merit and need based aid) $21,179.00</p>

<p>Estimated net price:
(Price of attendance minus total financial aid) $34,275.00</p>

<p>Not sure what to say except, yep, UM is a darned expensive school unless you can snag some merit and/or need based aid. Your 31 ACT would put you in the 16k range as you say, probably not eligible for Singer consideration unless you have a very high rank in your class or stellar SAT scores. There is a merit-based “Miami Grant” that was introduced in 2011 for students that UM wants to assist financially who didn’t otherwise qualify for other scholarships. After that, you have the need based aid, based on FAFSA. Your parents need to read up on how to properly fill that out in order to maximize the potential financial aid package. Apply EA so you find out what the situation is eas early as possible, and apply to a range of colleges with different price points.
Wish you the best.</p>

<p>I ran the Miami NPC jfor D. Results are a bit strange. They ask what range the GPA/SAT is, and awarded full tuition scholarship-Singer, on the basis of that. That can’t be right. I’ve read through old threads from last year and it sounds like of all these high stats kids who attend the scholarship weekends, 25% or fewer get the Singer. I don’t know if the Dean’s is easier to get based on some stat range, but I’d be a bit wary of that, unless you call to check how likely it is really.</p>

<p>

It may just be telling you what you’re eligible to merely qualify for, not necessarily receive. It’s also understandable that they’re going to overestimate awards and underestimate costs on such a calculator, because they want to encourage you to apply.</p>

<p>You’re right. It says meeting criteria does not guarantee an award, awards are determined by scholarship committee, etc.</p>