UMD Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

Yes, at Denton Hall. Her roommate was not in FC, which was nice because sharing space can be an adjustment. It worked out well that they had classes at different times those first few months.

2 Likes

Anyone know anything about College Park Scholars? Worth it? Is this special honor?

Both excellent.

I can’t speak to Purdue at all; however, UMD does have a very highly regarded aerospace engineering program. My oldest (UMD '18) majored in aerospace engineering. There were a lot of internship opportunities offered. He interned with the same company between his sophomore and junior year and between his junior and senior year. He had a job offer from that company before he even started his senior year. One of his roommates was also an aero major. He got a job offer from Space-X. There were a lot of other high profile companies recruiting on campus, as well. All of his friends had jobs prior to graduation, so UMD grads seem to be highly sought after.

2 Likes

You can decline.

1 Like

Whew, DD22 accepted to BSOS for psych and FIRE. Is her first choice, so far, so we’re thrilled.

1 Like

Us too - considering Purdue, UMD, Umass and Wisconsin at this point. Have only seen UMD - not really sure how to rank these (Cs major) - I know they are all too 20 US News but beyond that.

1 Like

Freshmen Connection is actually a bit cheaper for OOS students than regular admission. Not sure about in state. From an OOS perspective it’s better assuming you get no merit money. The experience is the same. The classes are the same. The dorms are the same. Both of my kids were not FC but has friends that were and they say it makes absolutely zero difference.

3 Likes

My son chose between UMD and Wisconsin. Chose UMD because he felt that he likely would not ever live in Madison or surrounding area after graduation and likely Chicago. With UMD he had the whole DMV. Many more internship opportunities since you got plenty of government and nongovernment opportunities especially during the semester that he felt would not exist in Madison. Great school and socially Madison is better but for him UMD worked out. Graduated a year early with CS degree had two internships and was offered a full time job after the second internship with a company in McLean, VA.

4 Likes

DD22 admitted to Spring L&S. OOS, 4.2 GPA, 1300 SAT. She had applied to Business, so it’s unlikely she’ll attend, as she’s into the business school at other universities. Congratulations to all!

I just want to share that my older DD UMD2020 had the best experience with Freshman Connection. She really loved the advisors, classes, and schedule. We loved that her tuition was significantly cheaper that semester. She lived in a great dorm with a non-FC roommate. Most of her OOS friends were in FC, too, so no stigma at all. It honestly just wasn’t an issue at all. If you got in for Spring, and you really want to attend UMD, don’t let this dissuade you!

2 Likes

Google “UMD and Self Nominate for Scholars.” Not sure that the page is active now but it became active at some point last year. Probably after the deadline to accept scholars invitation not the 5/1 deadline. They are two different deadlines.

1 Like

Did UMD send a decision by email or in the portal?

My son also was invited for FIRE. Sounds interesting. Don’t know enough about it but I watched a video online and sounds like a good opportunity. He was accepted into Mechanical Engineering, 1500 SAT.

2 Likes

I still haven’t received my decision. A bit concerned now

Thanks

yeah I didn’t get mine yet too. Are you an international applicant?

yep

i am intl and i got mine like 10mins after release

Was accepted and link never worked for me

OOS(CA) Accepted
Applied for Economics but it doesn’t specify which major I got into at UMD in Letter(a little concerned lol)
4.16uw/3.73uw
1480 SAT
Very Strong ECs and Essays

1 Like