UMD Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

As the others have said UMD decides to admit you not based on major, then the LEPs look at the application to decide if they will admit you into that program. If not you are admitted to Letters & Sciences. The ability to transfer into business is the most difficult. You are required to take several gateway classes (business stats, accounting, math) to transfer in. They said a 3.85+ is a direct admit, but to be competitive you need at least a 3.5. Since UMD has the +/- system a 3.85 is tougher for sure.

MD does have a waitlist I believe according to their report, I just don’t know how many kids actually get off of it.

About 900 enrollees are in Freshman Connection. They live on campus just like everyone else.

1 Like

UMD always releases the last Friday in January somewhere between 4:30-5pm. Last year it was around 4:45. Always the last Friday, always all at once.

4 Likes

I was wondering if anyone out there is transfer applicant for Spring 2022 – still waiting on decision and doesn’t leave a ton of time for planning before semester starts.

@A1A1A1, this thread is for early action applicants. You may want to check if there’s a different thread for transfer applicants, or start one yourself.

3 Likes

What are my chances for UMD early action?
Description. Asian, Female from NY public school.
SAT: 1450 (superscore)
GPA: 96.7 Weighted (my school doesnt do unweighted)
Major: CS

Essay: Pretty good i think
LOR: Average
EC’s: President/ VP of 2 clubs, NHS, French Honor Society, Indian Dance for 12 years.

What are my chances getting into UMD and specifically the CS program??

1 Like

ik one of my friends got into their CS major last year and his stats are like: 1570 SAT, 4.4 WGPA, ok essay, pretty good lor, pretty good ec’s. good luck!

1 Like

Pretty good chances -@khushiiiii

Can someone chance me:
Applying to the business school
3.43 UW GPA (rigorous school)
1280 SAT (Test Optional)
Very Good ECs

Have you checked the Scattergrams for applicants from your school on Naviance or Scoir? That might give a better idea.

2 Likes

Heard business school is very competitive. You may be offered admission L&S. Then will have to transfer to business school

1 Like

Yes, coming from Letters and Sciences or another major, the business school is currently the only competitive LEP at UMD. In every other LEP students are admitted after completing the “gateway” courses. Business requires the completion of “gateway” courses plus being accepted. It’s definitely a higher bar.

2 Likes

I wonder if things have changed - based on the UMD website, there are a number of LEPs that require the LEP application beyond Gateway requirements. The timelines vary by program but the process looks to be similar

https://www.admissions.umd.edu/explore/majors/limited-enrollment-programs/current-student-lep-admissions

1 Like

Yes, an application is also required.

My understanding from past discussions is that once “gateway” requirements are completed the outcome of the application for LEPs are all but guaranteed, EXCEPT regarding Business majors who are then subjected to also having to be selected.

Also worth noting, it’s my understanding that an LEP can only be applied to once so make sure all the requirements are met before applying.

4 Likes

any ideas as to when they will release decisions?

Last Friday in Jan as per this thread. I am not experienced with UMD, but others on here are

Yes, they released results on the last Friday of January the past three years:
2021: 1/29
2020: 1/24
2019: 1/25

So assuming they stick with that schedule (there’s no reason to believe otherwise), results should be out on 1/28 this year.

7 Likes

thank you!!!

1 Like

How generous is U MD with merit aid? Daughter has a 1510 SAT and has 5.28 w gpa (4.0 uw) (along with CS, EC, etc
), and we are out-of-state. I was told by a friend whose daughter applied a couple of years ago that they are not generous and not to expect it. Just wondered if anyone has an experience to share. Thanks so much.

My OOS D got a small presidential award 4 cycles back for engineering.

2 Likes