UMD Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

Most engineering students do not work during the school year while concurrently taking classes. All of my D’s internships and co-ops have been full time.

2 Likes

NASA has many locations all over the nation and you typically work there when you aren’t taking classes (typically throughthe NASA Pathways program) so proximity to whatever college you pick doesn’t matter that much.

3 Likes

Same for my S22. Applied for CS, accepted L&S and Carillon. After reading through the posts on this thread & doing some research, seems like a viable option.

Stats: 3.89 UW, 4.23 W GPA, all honors or AP, test optional, Senior Class VP, varsity HS soccer & club year round, NHS, several other clubs & tons of volunteering, OOS NJ

2 Likes

Thanks @sdevorefl. We are in NY. I think he’ll apply to Scholars and see what happens. MD would be easier travel wise for sure. He was hoping for some merit money - thought he had a decent chance based on research we’d done, but you can’t, for example, get B-K, if you’re not in Honors. It just means more waiting …

thank you for the information! :slight_smile:

Experienced UMD parents- are there any negatives to waiting until end of March/April to commit? Thinking of housing, in particular. We can’t get there to visit until the end of March and she’s worried about missing opportunities. She was not invited to any LLC’s - just looking at regular freshmen housing. Thanks!

2 Likes

From my son’s experience (currently a senior at UMD) the earlier you commit, the less likely you are to be in a forced triple, IF there is overcrowding. That’s not to say you will end up in one, but it can happen. But I think by the end if March you should be fine…late April might be more problematic.

2 Likes

My two oldest both attended UMD. My oldest didn’t commit until the very end of April (maybe 2 or 3 days before May 1st). My daughter also waited until at least mid-April to commit. It didn’t affect either of them at all, but one was in Honors and the other was in Scholars. My concern with waiting would be the possibility of being assigned to a triple. That being said, UMD has two brand new dorms (I believe that one opened in the fall and that the other will open in fall of 2022). Hopefully, that will alleviate the overcrowding issues that were common in the past.

2 Likes

Well, I think you can submit the Housing and Dining form now. It does NOT require any money and does not constitute a commitment to attend. Outside of LLCs, freshmen do not get to pick dorms.

My D attended UMD 2014-2018 and we payed the enrollment fee about 10 days after attending an Admitted Students Day at the end of February. I strongly suggest attending one, if you can. You should be getting an email about them soon. They require pre-registration and there a limited number of them

I don’t think that there are any real negatives to waiting. For us, it was just peace of mind to get the whole thing settled. Since we are in-state, and not too far away, we were also able to visit the campus and walk around. We also attended Maryland Day that year and every year thereafter, until covid stopped it (but it is scheduled again this year for April 30).

Basically, it let us start preparing for the future, with a definite destination. We were full pay, so waiting for merit aid was not a factor in making the decision.

Good Luck

5 Likes

I’ll look for that form, thank you! We are from Boston and with her busy schedule, planning a weekend trip has been challenging! End of March was the soonest we could go.

Students Admitted for the Fall Semester

New first-year students starting in the fall semester who submit the Residence Hall Housing and Dining Agreement by May 1 are guaranteed residence hall housing. You can only submit the Agreement once. If necessary, you must request any changes to your housing agreement by emailing the Department of Resident Life at reslife@umd.edu. Please include your full name and University ID (UID) in all correspondence. Rooms are assigned in the order of Agreement submission date. You may submit the housing agreement before confirming enrollment and cancel it without penalty before July 1.

The Roommate Finder and request process will be available frrom June 6 through June 24, 2022. The Department of Resident Life Assignments Office will contact you by email when this process becomes available. The Assignments Office factors in many variables when determining resident housing assignments. Roommate preferences will be taken into account but are not guaranteed
https://admissions.umd.edu/enroll/enrolled-students/housing-and-dining

5 Likes

Does anyone know how much UMD award to College Park Scholars?

There is no automatic merit money given to Scholars. Some Scholars will receive merit money.

1 Like

Thanks, when UMD will inform the students about the merit money?

Except for the B/K scholarship. ALL students who were admitted EA are eligible for Merit Scholarships. There are No scholarships that are reserved for College Park Scholars

1 Like

How selective is College Park Scholars?

I think College Park Scholar is one tier below honor program

Thank you for replying. Other than ranking (US News or Niche) my son told me something about UWM which I was not aware of that last year, American businessman John Morgridge an alumni of UWM, Ex-CEO and chairman of the board of Cisco Systems has announced commitments totaling $175 million towards transformation of Madison School of Computer, Data & Information Sciences. A new facility will be a hub for the bustling tech ecosystem in UWM and Wisconsin.

A new facility will be a hub for the bustling tech ecosystem in UWM and Wisconsin.The funding for the building, which will also house the Center for High Throughput Computing, the American Family Insurance Data Science Institute, and Department of Biostatistics & Medical Informatics.

Looks like the application for freshman housing now requires a $50 non refundable deposit. I’m pretty sure there wasn’t a deposit in past years. If UMD is high up on your list it would probably make sense to get the deposit in sooner than later. The worst that would happen is a $50 donation to UMD. Back in 2018 when way too many students enrolled, many of the kids in forced triples sent in their deposit very late.

4 Likes

Look up the Iribe Center at UMD. Similar and only a few years old. I’d only say when is this going to be at built at UW because these things take time and who knows if your son will be there to take advantage of it. Both are great schools with great programs. In my opinion Madison is much better than College Park. Much colder too.

1 Like