UMD Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

I would think twice before turning down the LLP (or any LLP). Carillon guarantees a decent dorm w/ AC. You don’t know where you may end up if you aren’t in an LLP. Also it’s not really demanding with only 2 courses required (a three credit course of your choice and a 1 credit course). If you see a Scholars program that is of more interest, you should be able to apply in the near future. These programs require 12- 15 credit (4-5 courses) over two years. Although they may sound like a better option at first, I would carefully review what current and past students say about each program - some are better than others.

4 Likes

Thank you, this is very helpful. I am going to talk to my DD about this – I don’t think she should turn it down either, so it always helps to have all of the information to boost my advice, lol.

Do you know where we can find that information? My daughter was accepted to the scholars program and we don’t know very much about it. Thanks!

On hold now… Will report back as soon as 17 other callers ahead of me complain :)))

4 Likes

Wow, I wonder how many apps they’ve missed in prior years. While I get that this year was a record number of applications, that still seems like a huge oversight to miss any. It’s a shame that these applicants have had their experience marred by the anxiety of not getting a decision last Friday. Hopefully those that really like UMd and get accepted will be able to be excited about that and move on from this mishap.

Honors students may get selected for a full ride B&K. If not selected, the highest OOS is 12.5K/year That’s what S20 got 2 years ago.

1 Like

Just to add on to SoofDad’s response. Yes an OOS student can get the full B/K or max Presidential but they can also get lower values of the Presidential Scholarship. I’m not sure what all the different levels they offer are. The max Presidential is $12,500 per year. My OOS daughter received $12,000 per year. But there are other lower dollar values of the Presidential Scholarship offered. I’m sure if you scan the past year’s admissions threads in this forum you can see other examples of what people have received.

2 Likes

So for my D22 it turns out that her summer program transcript was missing (even though it was not a part of regular school work), so we out of luck even for regular decision. We are really upset and heartbroken. It was not a part of her transcript and not going into her graduation diploma, but never the less, she is out of running for UMD.

Are they saying they won’t even consider her for a rolling admission knowing that the RD decision date has passed? They note this specifically on their website: Application Deadlines | UMD Undergraduate Admissions

“2. Applications received after the regular deadline will be considered on a rolling, space-available basis.”

3 Likes

Thanks a lot @adlgel and @mathKids. That’s helpful.

They basically told me they cannot guarantee anything. We can send it, but since she is applying for CS, chances are we are out of the game. We are talking about Governor’s school transcript my D attended for 1 month…

My friend’s daughter did not confirm her SAT scores were received and she did not apply test optional so her portal, which she unfortunately didn’t check prior to the EA or RD deadlines, showed her application as incomplete. She too is now past the RD deadline and will have to hope to be considered as a rolling admission. But I have no idea what the odds are for anyone submitting after the RD deadline.

That’s terrible, sorry for your D! If it’s not a required part of the application process, it seems like they should just have evaluated based on what was submitted.

2 Likes

got in touch with UMD and told me my application did not go through the full review process for some reason and will get a decision within 7-10 days!!

2 Likes

There was nothing on her checklist, everything says completed. We talking about one month summer program she attend for selected state kiddos. Again, heartbroken here for the way she was treated.

I can’t imagine…I might suggest reaching out to speak with the Dean of Admissions. This seems very unusual.

4 Likes

According to an admissions officer, last year well over 90% of students were admitted EA. It is extremely difficult to get in RD (def needs honors-level criteria). Someone I know didn’t get her SAT scores there by the EA deadline, was moved to RD and didn’t get in. She was admitted to both Columbia and Princeton but not UMD.

So sorry to hear this @DreamerMom. Seems like this is on UMD, and I hope they will still consider your daughter - at least for L&S if not CS.

Definitely worth escalating this issue to the Dean I think.

Hope it works out :crossed_fingers:t3:

3 Likes

@DreamerMom Did they indicate which of these two requirements they are saying this Governor’s school transcript falls under?

==========
4. Official copy of your high school transcripts

Each high school you’ve attended must submit an official copy of your high school transcript(s) listing all courses you attempted/completed.

1. Official copy of your college transcripts (if necessary)

If you have completed any collegiate coursework, each institution you’ve attended must submit an official copy of your college transcripts listing all courses you attempted/completed.

===========

If you can argue this Governor’s school would not meet either of these requirements then it seems like you have a leg to stand on to fight for her application to be considered.

3 Likes

Thank you all! This is helpful! She is working now of drafting email to AO and checking with her school counselor to see if she can advocate on her behalf

3 Likes