UMich Ann Arbor Early Action Fall 2023

I might be mistaken because I have the worst memory but last year I remember the portal changing the day decisions came out and not days before. But I could be wrong.

1 Like

I don’t think I could ever be good at CS. Not really in my skill set, and it would be a waste of those skills I do excel in to try.

But I didn’t have a family telling me that it was only worth getting an education if it was in CS either.

2 Likes

Imo this is heading towards off-topic discussion (which would make for a great thread) but I’ll leave that to the moderator’s discretion.

2 Likes

Respectfully I disagree. We have 60 years of experience in the field and have seen people succeed and fail at it professionally. CS, Engineering, Math, Physics are not just a skills anyone can hone. You have to have the right kind of mind for it. I am not saying it’s a better mind than one that can write creatively or paint, but it’s different.

Yes, to some extent it is a matter of liking it. But so many top students are told this is the way to go and they’ve taken maybe 1-2 CS classes in HS-- they do not know if they like it or not. You could say the same for any major really, but students aren’t getting pushed into Humanities majors like they are into the above.

4 Likes

We are hearing from others that the portal changed the Monday before decisions at the end of the week. So many are still thinking Friday.

1 Like

I agree- CS is a different way of thinking and not everyone can survive the major. There’s a high drop out rate for CS majors from the major. I think exposure to CS as a high school student is important before applying to college for it. Many people can’t handle it once they get in. It’s nothing to do with intelligence - it’s just how some people are wired. Some people are more natural when it comes to CS. Many of my Dd friends who took CS classes with her in HS realized they don’t get it and have changed their minds and are not applying as CS majors. My DD went today to her internship which is a lot of CS and one of the employees who graduated from Umich told her that he thinks she would do well but warned her the program is very very hard.

4 Likes

Well. Maybe not. Data science through the school of information is starting to either restrict or make it harder to get in…

1 Like

Ah ok yes many students here on campus think they are definitely coming this Friday around 3 or 3:30. S

1 Like

Oldie but a goodie. The 10 Hardest Classes at UMich. There are some CS “weeder” classes, FWIW:

https://oneclass.com/blog/university-of-michigan-ann-arbor/120957-10-of-the-hardest-classes-at-the-um-ann-arbor.en.html

3 Likes

Reading this makes me very glad AP exists :laughing:

3 Likes

Michigan could still make you take lower level classes, regardless of your AP classes and exams, depending on how “you” perform on your placement exams:

https://onsp.umich.edu/sites/default/files/file/FY%20Placement%202023_10.17.22.pdf

An enrolled student will meet with their advisor during orientation and discuss AP and UMich placement test results and you’ll go from there. :wink:

Also depends on which Aps since they won’t all count and if in engineering can help you take other electives. They can be used for your breath requirements then open you up to take some really cool classes.

One other item I should mention with AP credits at Michigan.

With Upper Division standing, the tuition increases. So, the quicker you reach Upper Division, the more you and your parents pay in tuition.

1 Like

be very cautious about using an AP course as a building-block course in CS or Math. AP courses are NOT as challenging as college courses in most cases. You do not want to hit the next level course unprepared. My S23 did AP Calc BC as a Sophomore but 100% plans to retake Calc in college especially since it will have been 3 years ago.

5 Likes

Yes… This… Math at Michigan is very hard even if you had it before. Gotta have a strong foundation in Calc for engineering. They are known for tough math and physics in the first few classes…

2 Likes

can we get back to 2023 EA topic please?

7 Likes

I decided to take calc 1-3 at a community college knowing the smaller class size would help me get a really good grasp on everything. I keep hearing UMich math is really difficult though so not sure if I would love going right into differential equations :sob:

4 Likes

How I feel reading this thread: It was my understanding there would be no math - GIF on Imgur

3 Likes

You would prefer a circular discussion about portal changes → rumors → guesses on the true meaning of “by the end of the month?”

2 Likes

Yes. :grinning:

3 Likes