UMich Ann Arbor Early Action Fall 2023

My money is on Wednesday!

1. They release on Wednesday 3 years in a row. 2016, 2017, and 2018. Then switched it up to Thursday in 2019.
  2. I think they pride themselves on NOT having a predictable date.
  3. Two years in a row on the last Friday means a change this year.
  4. Also, seems like the portal updates 2 days ahead from the two years my kids applied.
  5. SO MANY schools are releasing EA on Friday and Michigan wants to have their own special day.
10 Likes

I had my son do this for the same reason and all it meant was an extra semester of Michigan math. If I had another child that needed a math class at Michigan, I’d have them take it at CC. Not worth the stress!

2 Likes

I like it!

1 Like

Careful on the suggestion
… My son also took 1 math class over the summer at a community College but… It was very hard finding one that Michigan would actually approve. They are extremely picky on math and science transferring over to meet “their” criteria.

Also my son thought it would be easier but so did the kids from Stanford, Georgia Tech, Berkeley and so on in his class… :rofl:

3 Likes

Is it reasonable to assume that if I got in to UMich and attended, I would probably be fine material-wise if my classes transferred?

1 Like

I would assume but it depends on the classes your taking about. Michigan is known to have students take “their” math to some degree as an example.

3 Likes

Gotcha. Thanks!

1 Like

You’ve got this! :100: If I were in your shoes, it’d be hard not to expect an acceptance.

1 Like

nope - my son was admitted in the EA round last year and we are OOO…

2 Likes

I think there is also a competitive element to this in NorCal (at least) high schools that kicks in where kids know CS is the most difficult to get accepted into at many elite universities, so they chase that to win the prize and get bragging rights. It’s unfortunate, but it is what it is. There are a few that LOVE it and in my experience, those few are honestly the ones that have let their grades slip here or there (a few Bs… gasp!) because the can’t pull themselves away from coding for robotics or whatever.

5 Likes

Depending on the major/curriculum/prerequisites, being ahead may not allow you to graduate any earlier. If there are ANY of those that you have not mastered, it can’t hurt to take again. May be a little extra workload, but extra work you understand is much easier than struggling to keep up on a poor foundation.

1 Like

many of the best programmers I know – like miracle worker programmers – went to mid-tier public colleges with solid CS programs. Different story if you want to do CS Research though.

4 Likes

I feel like it’ll be Friday, but I really want it to be sooner!

So nervous

6 Likes

Definitely not trying to graduate any earlier LOL I’m in a HS program where we dual enroll for the majority of our classes and I had just figured those were my best options bc of what I want to study. Taking calc 2 this semester but I’ll definitely consider skipping calc 3 over the summer and taking it in the fall/retaking calc 2 depending on how it goes for me :slight_smile: Thank you for the advice!

2 Likes

My D22 is a freshman in the COE and she was specifically told by UofM advising to enroll in Calc 3 since she had credit for both Calc 1 and 2 from AP exams. Her HS instruction was excellent and I could see no reason re-take Calc 1 and Calc 2.

All of her friends who received Calc credit from AP or dual enrollment took it and ran … she had friends in Calc 1, 2, 3 and 4 as first semester freshmen.

4 Likes

For sure if you pass the AP Exams (with 4 or 5) and feel a firm grasp of the content, no need to retake. Things get into a bit sketchier territory for me beyond CalcBC AP credit. The quality of the instruction varies and there is no AP exam to validate your grasp of the material, which is critical for following classes. Some schools have placement exams for just such reasons… not sure if UM does (AP Exams are a known quantity, so no need for placement exam).

1 Like

As I mentioned above, Michigan has various placement exams for science, math, language, etc.

3 Likes

Would love this! :crossed_fingers:

Just saw this from Ross Admissions regarding 2023 release dates:

3 Likes

It’s remarkable that Ross can find a way to provide applicants with a definitive release schedule (with times) well in advance of the actual dates, but the main UMich Office of Undergraduate Admissions is unwilling or unable to do the same thing.

4 Likes