UMich Ann Arbor Early Action Fall 2023

Ross knows how many apps they will be reviewing. They will not touch an app until that app has already been admitted to the University. That reduces the volume of apps to a far more manageable - and predetermined - number. Ross promises to notify students of admittance at any of those three dates (Feb 17, March 17, April 14). They also state that no matter how early you applied in the process - they do not notify in that order. You could have applied to UofM in September…but you may not get a final answer from Ross until April.

7 Likes

The UMich Office of Admissions knows how many EA applications they will have to review by November 2nd. I am not saying they need to provide a specific EA release schedule on that date. However, I don’t understand why they cannot be more transparent at some point later in the process. Even a couple of days’ prior notice would be welcome.

For example, UVA states that EA applicants will receive a decision no later than Feb 15th. In 2022, UVA Dean of Admissions (Dean J) published an announcement on her blog on Feb 2nd saying that they were ahead of schedule and would be releasing EA decisions on Feb 4th (in the evening). Granted, Dean J’s Notes from Peabody blog is the transparency benchmark by which all other admissions offices should be judged.

IMHO, I don’t think it is too much to ask for UMich to formally announce their definitive EA and RD release dates at least a few days ahead of the actual release

7 Likes

So BBA EA applicants will hear back from LSA in the next 7/8 days and then Ross admissions can come in on any of the announced dates? as late as April 14th?

3 Likes

Michigan, Wisconsin, and others perhaps should consider what CA and WA do: have a deadline for all applications, and pick a date in March where they intend to give all answers. That gives them enough time to go through all applications, and allows them to give a set deadline. Plus, it avoids the lengthy “you’re still in the process!” feeling when there really isn’t a chance. Everyone is still in the lengthy process that ends on the same day for all (unless waitlisted).

2 Likes

Yes- whatever college you applied to gives you an answer first. My kid applied through LSA to Ross. Some apply through engineering or other schools. If she’s admitted to LSA - she can choose a major there and attend Michigan. Hopefully she’s admitted during the second step to Ross - that’s her ultimate goal.

2 Likes

As a CA resident, I’ll say I hate the UC and WA schedule. My twins applied EA wherever it was available. It is agonizing to wait until late March to get that first acceptance.

4 Likes

And if you ask anyone in CA (myself included) we all hate how the UC’s and CSU’s handle the process!

March is ridiculous to send out notifications when many schools have made decisions by January.
They need to bump up notifications to February to allow time to visit all schools accepted to and to do cross comparison more accurately and not to so last minute.

Also, the UC’s and CSU’s still have not announced their dates they are releasing. We all still wait to hear those.

6 Likes

Or Michigan’s process could be more like Cal Poly SLO’s.

Release acceptances first, then a week or two later, release WL’s and then a week or two after that, release rejections.

So, rejected applicants are waiting 4-6 weeks +/- after the release the acceptances.

1 Like

To let people know… Ross is great. But if you don’t get in and want to do business lots of students never do Ross and get amazing business jobs and actually can compete with Ross students. This is where the reputation of Michigan stands out. Most companies want Michigan students regardless of Ross. Yes, there are some advantages but not enough to outweigh going to Michigan and then… Going into business. Just a FYI.

4 Likes

Absolutely, but also know that as a non-Ross student at Michigan it’s extremely hard to get into anything business related, including the business fraternities and the business clubs.

3 Likes

My S23 is planning to major in Economics and later on get an MBA perhaps. He wasn’t interested in undergrad business. (Not a Michigan applicant either; his twin sister is our Michigan applicant.) Econ isn’t the only good major for business-interested students either.

2 Likes

I hear you. I think it depends on the popularity of the school. I don’t think every school would need to move to March. But if they’re mostly postponing—and that’s what Michigan does—waiting until they’re ready to give answers, even rejections, would give more certainty.

4 Likes

I thought some were March 15 and others March 30? Can’t remember where I read that.

UCLA has traditionally (I can’t remember when they haven’t) released on 3rd Friday of March, which means this year, UCLA will release on Friday 3/17.

ETA: Ms. Sun does publish the UC release dates ahead of time, but they’re not out yet.

1 Like

Unwilling, in my opinion.
We can debate why.
I have no idea

1 Like

UC’s are all on different days in March generally and the popular CSU’s are scattered throughout March (exception is SDSU, which does some early releases…today they are releasing early admittance for high stats). Other CSU’s (more commuter schools or not in the highest demand) have been releasing already (Chico, Sac State, Monterey Bay, Sonoma, Channel Islands, etc).

1 Like

Did you tour the campus recently by any chance? My twin sister and I were on a tour with people with the same circumstances.

We toured last April. She’s had Michigan fever ever since.

1 Like

D18 is considering grad school in A2, so UMich definitely has some sort of “gravitational pull.”

1 Like

Went through the CC UMich Fall 2022 thread. On Jan. 26, there still weren’t any changes in the portal. On Jan. 27 students are talking about changes in the portal. Jan. 28 decisions were announced.
I don’t think the portal would have changed yesterday if decisions aren’t until Friday.