4.40 weighted GPA
9 AP Courses
Multiple ECs
Waitlisted at UNC too

Where is that stated?

1 Like
1 Like

Your son is correct. Don’t repeat information they all ready have

I started something in the RD thread if needed.

1 Like

On the CDS it states with an X that alumni /relations is considered. But in the real world the last 4 years we are seeing lots of legacy denied admission and that’s just on this thread and what I am hearing locally. But this year it seems some were accepted. In other words I wouldn’t count on legacy to help unless there was a cage match blood bath tie and they needed to pick someone :grin:.

3 Likes

1000% that why Michigan essay is critical. UM even stresses during info sessions that they want a student who wants Michigan, and the why us essay is the student’s chance to show that. OOS nephew clearly prefers other schools, but with his stats and accomplishments he will likely have some great options to choose from when the dust settles.

1 Like

Yes and no. My son never mentioned Michigan was his number 1 choice and was admitted a few years ago OOS. But he did describe the types of students he wanted to be push by and activities on campus Yada Yada. Just saying Michigan is my number 1 choice isn’t going to do it. They already sorta know that from the application. The application and essay together should convey this

1 Like

She isn’t saying that an applicant needs to say that it’s the #1 choice. The Why Michigan? essay is important because it can show a depth of understanding about the school’s ethos and how the applicant will fit there.

It doesn’t help to say “I have been a fan my whole life and love the school.” It helps to explain where Michigan’s offerings match with the student’s interests, where the student’s values and passions with enhance the community, etc., in very well-researched, specific, and unique ways. If a student gives cursory or general answers, it can be evident to an AO that the applicant doesn’t really have a strong interest.

1 Like

100% agree. But I also know what students tend to write. The AO doesn’t want to read the same thing over and over either. They can “show” them they want to go there and not just “tell” them in a nicely crafted 250 word essay.

3 Likes

Up to 550 words. They can show, tell and still have 100 left over.

1 Like

Postponed.
S17. California Bay Area
Legacy
4.0/ 4.6 gpa
1540 SAT
Applied for CS

A bit disappointed, probably stop donating to UM now.

2 Likes

We are talking about 2 different things. I think he is talking about the LOCI and you and I were talking about the original “Why Us?” essay as a potential differentiator between otherwise high stats students.

1 Like

I don’t have the letter so follow the instructions. I thought it was a 250 word limit???

1 Like

it is a 250 word limit.

1 Like

You replied to my post in which I specifically mentioned the why Michigan essay. That is 550 words. If you were talking about the loci, I don’t know because my son was accepted.

I screwed up… Sorry. :rofl::pensive:
Congrats on your son’s acceptance.

3 Likes

Thanks! And go blue! :slight_smile:

One more for the pile: D accepted. She’s pumped - had a couple of prior acceptances, but this was the first from one of her high target to reach schools, in the most selective half dozen places she applied, and she’d be thrilled to end up in Ann Arbor if she strikes out the rest of the way.

OOS, approx. 4.0/4.4 GPA (0-100 scale so not a precise conversion), one shy of max AP’s allowed by school with 4’s and 5’s on AP exams thus far. 34 ACT (2x, not superscored). Captain of sports team but not a gifted/serious athlete. EC’s tend to be high impact with leadership positions. I think she crushed the “Why Michigan” supplemental question; at least compared to the others of hers I read, it was the strongest and had good flow.

Best of luck to everyone who got deferred - a lot of you are still going to be accepted in a couple months!

They don’t already have his mid year grades. That’s what I am asking–whether to submit the midyear grades in the 250 words box (which seems like it would be for an essay?) or have the school send their mid year grades report (which their portal made it sound like nothing outside of what was sent in that 250 word box would even be considered. If that’s the case, then the form is the only way to submit those)

2 Likes