UMich Ann Arbor Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

FWIW my son was postponed last year and there were a few “waves” but they were small. We didn’t find out until the day RD decisions came out in April. He was LSA.

1 Like

so only postponed students might expect the wave of decisions?

What is the percentage for postponed kids to get in at RD? 50%?

I would think it would be a lot lower than this. They postpone a lot of students.

1 Like

So for the “waves,” only a small number of students hear back in Feb and March? Should we set the goalpost for April?

Yes me too! I was actually accepted into Michigan Honors College (went elsewhere)and I had no idea that it was so prestigious. I thought it was just some average state school and they were trying to sweeten the deal by inviting me this program. I don’t think I would have even gotten in at all today!

2 Likes

“What is the percentage for postponed kids to get in at RD? 50%?” @emilychris

@sushiritto Any idea? Ballpark of what percent of postponed kids end up being accepted? Apologies if you answered this upthread :smiling_face:

I just checked Reddit because at of kids post there and someone posted the were rejected

He has answered this earlier, but it sounds like we really don’t have the data to answer your question.

@sushiritto answer in the past has been the math of the EA deferrals now becoming part of a much bigger RD pool. So the numbers go down from 17-20% during the EA round to sub 10% in the next round. But that is not really your question…

2 Likes

I would like to say I got in as well, however, postponed.
OOS
Biology @ LSA
3.65/4.4 UW, 4.56/5.4 W
1410 SAT
8 APs
ECs n activities r alr, i j dont like talking about myself too much so
definitely a unique personal statement

2 Likes

D22 Accepted- LSA
In-state
3.75 uw GPA - w 4.8
1500 - SAT
IB - HLs and 5 APs
Non traditional - International exposure and strong essays and ECs and LORs

6 Likes

accepted to LSA!

oos texas
3.76 UW
13 APs (human geo, world history, us history, art history, spanish lang, spanish lit, physics I, environmental science, psychology, macro, gov, calc ab, calc bc)
1470 SAT
hispanic/american indian

state/national awards for classical piano
presidential volunteer service awards (gold)
500+ volunteer hours
tutor AP spanish v kids
started national spanish honor society at my school

go blue! :blue_heart::yellow_heart:

7 Likes

3 of my son’s friends applied EA to Michigan. 1 rejected, 2 postponed. There are plenty of rejections, they just don’t get posted on here.

4 Likes

Daughter postponed. Instate. Two of her teammates go in with lower stats. So she is understandably upset. Lots of varsity sports/playing two at the same time this season. Captainships on both. She had 35 ACT was applying to LSA from a top 10 feeder school.

I think yes, if you can set your expectations that it will not come until
April you will not be riding the roller coaster every month. On the other hand some of us (like me) could not help ourselves and kept checking CC for a potential “wave”.

Looking back I think the constant checking and overthinking made the process harder especially the one mini wave where other LSA applicants got a yes and we heard nothing. The double guessing about when and why can make you kind of nuts - and I don’t think there is a secret code to unlock - but I did it too. I get it.

Personally I think it is unfair to these kids to have them get their applications in by Nov 1 and have to wait until April for an answer - especially because there are so many postponed. I don’t know of another school that does that. My son is attending UM and so far my experience with the school can be summed up in this preschool motto " you get what you get and you don’t get upset".

Hang in there everyone.

2 Likes

Son got deferred.
1590 SAT
10 APs
4.0 UW
2 Varsity sports
Leadership roles at school and internships
Good recs and decent essays.

2 Likes

Same here. My DD got into Princeton and UMichigan (plus several others great publics). I was afraid yield protection would lock us out of UMich but I guess not.

3 Likes

First, congrats to all that were accepted. Truly a fantastic achievement.

For us, unfortunately Deferred (Sadly)

OOS (CA)
3.9 unweighted
8 APs
Multiple Honors level courses where APs were not offered
2 college courses
1450 SAT
Youth group President/solid ECs
Father is an alum

This is her dream. Here’s hoping the “Postponed” eventually becomes “Accepted”.

4 Likes

I am sure Michigan is happy to see the Princeton reference.

They will need to tighten up next year!!

Congrats!!