UMich Ann Arbor Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

^Accepted.

6 Likes

Iā€™ve heard that too. My view is that itā€™s easier to make up a fact out of thin air that one of the nations largest universities doesnā€™t know how to do their job than accepting that a student wasnā€™t admitted.

17 Likes

Seriously, go back in every Michigan EA thread, as far back as your eyes can remain open, and youā€™ll see that exact comment from someone or multiple posters. Iā€™m being totally honest.

Iā€™d answer it two ways.

Michigan has, I think, the 8th +/- largest college endowment in the US, which went from around $12 Billion to $17 Billion, in the last year or two, because of the stock market. I believe they can afford to hire staff each year to manage the flow of apps.

The other way Iā€™d answer it is that UCLA gets 140,000 apps and theyā€™ve already gone through them to determine at least Regents (Top 1-2% of applicants) and Alumni scholarships, which have went out, or will be going out in the next week or two. And Michigan has a lot more money than UCLA and Iā€™m assuming they have access to the same type of computer technology and human resources. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Each school reviews their apps. So, the School of Kinesiology reviews Kinesiology apps. CoE reviews CoE apps. And so on. Iā€™d guss that they have some ā€œcentral clearing houseā€ for decision releases.

I have some familiarity with the School of Kines at UM. First, Kinesiology is a more competitive program for reason including, but not exclusive, to saving seats for athletes. Itā€™s a nationally-ranked program so itā€™s not as simple to ā€œhideā€ athletes in it as it once was.

Itā€™s a much smaller school within UM so it automatically has less seats available. Secondly, there has been a shift among some students interested in medical or PA school to not major in biology or chem through LSA (extremely competitive and difficult majors at UM) and instead decide to earn their BS in movement science or the like through the School of Kinesiolgy.

The Schoolā€™s sports management program is also a highly-ranked and sought after major, which equals an increase in applications for more limited seats.

From the statistics I have read from a few years back, a student had about an 18-20 percent chance to get into Kines, compared to a 22 percent-ish chance for LSA. From there, a handful of seats are saved for athletes in Kines, making it a little closer to a 15-17 percent chance of getting into the program.

Congratulations to your students. It is a big accomplishment all the way around!

4 Likes

You guys are all right. It is my first kid going through this college application process. It was just what I heard or read. That speculation doesnā€™t make me feel any better. And definitely didnā€™t expect someone would take it up to that level. lol.

My view is that itā€™s easier to make up a fact out of thin air that one of the nations largest universities doesnā€™t know how to do their job than accepting that a student wasnā€™t admitted.

1 Like

Thanks for in information! My kid is beyond happy ! This has been a really rough admissions season : We went through all this last year with my daughter and last year seemed awful but this year is much worse in terms of really strong candidates getting denials and deferrals. Now it is time to make a visit and see if what seems like an ideal fit feels the way when they step onto campus.

3 Likes

DD22 OOS
Accepted.

3 Likes

This rumor goes around every year. If true, UM would have a serious integrity and transparency issue on their hands if they didnā€™t review EA applicants by their own deadline.

If UM were to be truly overwhelmed by the number of apps to review, they could simply take GPA/test scores on a first review and reject all of them below a certain average. Of course that would go against their commitment to a holistic review, which would be problematic.

But as evidenced by much fewer rejections than postponements in the EA round, I believe there is evidence that UM reviews all applications. I would be grateful to know they are giving my application a good look through postponement instead of receiving a rejection right away, even though I know it can be a frustrating process.

I have been through the application process with 3 of my kids so far, with one to go, so I totally empathize.

7 Likes

You know this totally makes sense and we never even thought about reserving spots for athletes or popularity of the major. Makes me a bit worried for my daughter applying to kinesiology but for her she 100% knows what she wants. Sheā€™s been an athletic trainer at her school all through high school and this area just excites her so much. She wants Michigan so bad she was actually happy about being postponed because at least she was still in the running! Fingers crossed :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Iā€™m really happy I got in but I donā€™t think I can shell out 70k per year if I donā€™t receive any merit- anyone know when merit information will come out?

2 Likes

Which school were you admitted to?

i got into LSA!

3 Likes

There is a scholarship portal on the LSA scholarship page for merit scholarships. Itā€™s empty right now, but there should be some more scholarships put in there.

3 Likes

I really donā€™t think the conspiracy theory about sports management spots being saved for athletes is the case. My daughter is a student, and most athletes she knows are in LSA. I looked through the entire menā€™s basketball roster and there wasnā€™t a single sports management major.

Sports management is a structured (need to take certain things and certain times) and pretty demanding major, given the overlap with business. It would be a relatively challenging major for an athlete to choose and balance with his/her sports commitments.

Merit is very unlikely and very few get it. They do give OOS /instate financial aid.

Small correction. UCLA hasnā€™t gone through all of the apps before referring them to alumni scholarships or regents. These are almost always high weighted UC GPA candidates and the UC GPA is calculated automatically. I would imagine there is a semi-automated process that helps them make these referrals efficiently. It doesnā€™t mean ALL apps have been read. But I agree with you that the likelihood of U-M not having reviewed apps is essentially zero.

1 Like

Would not applying for the UCLA alum scholarship hurt? Just got a chance to open the the scholarship application. It looks like a complete new application and two prompts need to answer, each with a 500 words limit.

Sports Management is only one major within the school, and one of the most difficult and Eli Brooks is a Kines major, though I donā€™t know what specific area.) And remember there are nearly 900 student-athletes at UM across 29 sports. Iā€™m sure several are Kinesiology majors.

Though my larger point is it is a smaller school than LSA and the admission numbers reflect it is more difficult to get into Kines than LSA for myriad reasons.

Thatā€™s encouraging, thank you for that insight.