UMich Ann Arbor Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

I don’t think there is too much risk that a phone call will adversely affect your kid’s application unless you directly call the AO.

I have called the admissions offices of many schools, but I (usually :blush:) only ask general questions. I have only been asked for my kid’s name once, and that was at an EA in-state school—the one time I asked a question specifically about my kid’s app—and even so, they were later admitted. They just don’t have time to track every phone call.

However, if the question is directly linked to my kid’s app and it needs to be answered by a specific person, I have my kid send an email.

1 Like

agree, have not done any direct communicating with schools

thanks! she will like emailing better – LOL.

Picking up the phone and actually talking to a real human being?! Oh, the horror! :scream:

:rofl:

1 Like

I think it’s a private school thing. Many northeast private schools have had their commeuppance the past three years. First, the backlash from the USC scandal. Second, the universal shift towards actively promoting much higher % of equity at just about every college. There is definitiely the feeling of being “punished” as opposed to the prior feeling of having a leg up.

Honestly, neither is right. Luck of the draw as to when you passed through I guess.

Back to the topic at hand, though…UM’s EA activity promotes the new structure of applications. Kicking so many qualified applicants for yield purposes creates a scared mentality amongst the students. A bird in the hand had always been a major component of UM’s appeal until a few years ago, and the new shift to being one of the last EA acceptances for the majority of their EA applicants has changed that dynamic.

1 Like

I’m not sure I understand. Michigan has always kicked “many qualified applicants” in EA. There’s 16,000 acceptances to be doled out in the most recent years. About 50% of those acceptances take place in EA. Can they fill up the entire class with EA? Absolutely, but they want to evaluate the rest of the EA pool with the RD pool, just like other universities with EA.

For frame of reference, back in December 2017, my D was accepted EA. The EA acceptance rate back then was roughly 20% (8,000/40,000), but that’s when they received about 40,000 EA apps. Now Michigan receives 55,000 +/- EA apps, but Michigan still likely only accepts around that same 8,000 (or 50%) EA acceptances, though one month later in late January.

Back then, RD releases were on or about 2/1, 3/1 and 4/1. So, plenty of EA deferrals had to wait even in the “old days.” Just check the anxiety and angst displayed in past threads of applicants and parents waiting for their decisions.

Michigan has always made EA deferrals wait with their waves of releases. And it’s not always about the highest stats. I wish people would get out of that mindset.

4 Likes

So is it confirmed that UM sent out 8K acceptances this year as well?

1 Like

I wish I had a dollar for every mailing or email we receive from Case Western

4 Likes

There’s no official confirmation of the # of EA acceptances that are sent out, in ANY year.

The 7,500-8,000 was an estimate provided to either this forum and/or to me via a past PM, a couple years ago, by an admissions insider. I can’t remember which any more. :grinning:

Thank you, i think it makes sense that they fill about half their class from the early pool

any possibility of this Friday being a wave of decisions?

For the record, during the time period (pre-pandemic cycles) in which the unofficial estimate was given, total (100%) acceptances was 14,818 (2018-2019) and 14,883 (2019-2020).

They’ve grown the class in the past few years, but yes, in the neighborhood of 50%.

1 Like

The parents should never be calling the AO. Call admissions and ask questions but not her school AO.

5 Likes

More likely 3/4, maybe late dates

Ha ha. Good to know UMich has been impartial with its postponements :smile:

That is absolutely outrageous! My student applied and was deferred. Since then, my husband and I have received nonstop spam emails, as well as my child. My husband unsubscribed last week because it became quite obnoxious. As is their email!

1 Like

Question for people familiar with U of M process: Is it harder to get in from an OOS public high school that isn’t a feeder school?

I come from a public HS in Massachusetts. In the past 14 years, only 3 have been admitted. One was a recruited athlete, one was accepted in 2019, and one was in 2008.

I was deferred to their nursing program and want to know if my high school is putting me at a disadvantage in comparison with other OOS HS’s.

Disagree; I’ve had general questions for admissions and was referred directly to the school AO who was very nice.

wondering the same thing. my daughter is from a small public high school in Nashville - as far as we know no one else has ever applied to Michigan.

1 Like

The only thing I can think of is “high school rigor” - if you scroll back a few thousand posts, that seems to be a factor when students asked to look at their files.