UMich Ann Arbor Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

Portal changed for me too… Let’s hope it is this Friday!

5 Likes

When you said most people were deferred and not rejected, is that a general trend or the self selecting trend reflected in the CC forum.

Well my only source of information on the process was coming from CC and the few applicants my son knew. I don’t know of anyone who was declined in January except one person on CC. I seem to recall we were hearing that had been the pattern in past years as well.

Got it. Just trying to figure out if Deferred is simply a soft rejection or something better than that.

1 Like

There is no deferred at UM only Postponed. It may seem like only semantics but my understanding is there is a difference in the two as far as status of applicant. More likely they mean different things at each school.

At UM postponed is in no way a rejection - at that point in the game I don’t think it’s based on the applicants qualifications. My son had so many friends that were super qualified that were deferred and the kids with lesser gpa etc were accepted.

I have seen many theories as to why they do this…some people think those are simply applications they didn’t have a chance to read yet. Another thought is they are concerned about their acceptance stat and don’t take the students they think might be waiting to hear from Ivy’s.

Thinking about why started to make my head hurt and it’s simply hard to know for sure why they do it this way - and really kind of aggravating when you think about all the kids that get their application in early and then they just have to wait it out like RD- but that is how UM rolls.

Reading this info on CC last year made the situation a little less devastating for my son knowing he still had a good shot at getting in.

2 Likes

Smaller amount of EA

Thank you. That’s very helpful.

Just tried to access the portal and got a message for the first time.

1 Like

Based on last year’s timeline 1/21 (Friday) appears the decision date. But don’t rule out 1/19 (Wednesday). They have released on Wednesday’s in the past.

3 Likes

based on the message I got this morning on the portal, they’re processing now so it’s definitely very soon

This comes up every year so might be a good review Selection Process | University of Michigan Office of Undergraduate Admissions

Also once your postponed (used to use deferred) then you are in the RD Regular Decision phase with everyone else that applied. EA ends and RD starts.

Depending on your school most people you know will probably be in this phase. Many get accepted during the RD phase.

1 Like

Perhaps that is why we have no access at all to the portal. Just the message on black screen.

I think most likely everyone has this same screen right now. They’re probably uploading the decisions for everyone, or at least the first wave if they do it in waves. My oldest got in during the EA period two years ago, but it was a totally different platform used back then so I’m not as familiar with this one.

1 Like

“Postponed” is what was previously known as “deferred” at U of M. Daughter is a current junior at umich and comes from a feeder school. She, like many others, was deferred/postponed when she applied, but she was ultimately accepted through RD. As their umich admissions rep said, don’t read too much into the early action decision.

Yes, I didn’t mean it was any kind of advantage or signal. But by giving everyone a black screen, it hides whatever they are doing to some portals, such as putting a checklist on the ones who are admitted.

you can bypass the redirect to the new black message screen by using the following URL

https://enrollmentconnect.umich.edu/apply/status?cmd

:shushing_face:

1 Like

Interesting! I don’t know how you figured that out, but it did indeed bypass it. Portal looks identical to before using that link.

Yes! I think you’re right. The year my son got in, there was some thing with X’s next to “final year transcript” that was a giveaway and it was really stressful and chaotic lol

Earlier this morning, my son’s portal had the black screen saying they were processing early action decisions and now it looks exactly as it used to.

1 Like

Mine switched back to normal too