UMich Ann Arbor Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

Great, thank you!
My D was accepted to CoE, she applied to a few scholarships, but have not seen anything about honors.
Congrats again, that’s amazing!!

3 Likes

Congratulations to your daughter! Maybe check the CoE website for info. Or Wolverine access. Or portal. Each college might handle differently.

1 Like

CoE honors is applied for after two semesters in the school of engineering.

https://honors.engin.umich.edu/application-requirements/

1 Like

Accepted to honors in-state!

8 Likes

True. I have no doubt they can create a well rounded class of highly qualified students no matter how many lose interest and withdraw or not enroll. UMich knows this, which is probably why they are indifferent to the frustration and ill-will they are creating.

Yes. But if there is any negative impact to Michigan from their approach (and certainly they might not view it that way) it’s that they lose kids who really wanted to go to there - but ended up picking another school lower on their list because they wanted to end the uncertainty. And they gain many kids who hoped to go elsewhere but are settling for UMich after being rejected at their top choice school(s).

Of course, I don’t have any data on just how many fall into each of these two categories but I am seeing this play out amongst applicants from my daughter’s class (approx 30 applied).

Assuming there are 2 waves this month - tomorrow and on March 25th, if my daughter does not hear back tomorrow I doubt she’ll still be interested when the 25th comes around. She’ll probably be fine but I’ll be saddened by that outcome. After all, UMich was very high on her list at the start and was the 2nd school she applied to (right after our in-state flagship) all the way back in mid October.

Hoping for the best for tomorrow. Good luck everyone who’s still waiting to hear!

3 Likes

That’s awesome! :clap:t3: Congratulations PC.

2 Likes

Did you get an email?

Hi! does anyone have any data on how many decisions come out in each wave (assuming tomorrow and march 25?) is it an equal half and half, just acceptances tomorrow, etc?

Thank you!

This is what we see at our school ALL the time. We send 3-4 students, on average, to UM each year. Almost all of them were rejected from their ED. It is close to impossible for UM to be someone’s first choice at our school, as we very rarely have anyone accepted EA. Our D’s GC told her that of the kids who were above UM’s 75% over the last five years, over 90% were postponed EA. So they caution against it being anyone’s #1 simply because it removes many other opportunities.

So we end up with UM being the default for very high achieving students. The “I’m going to apply to X, but I know UM is a great pillow option”. As a flip, we have lots of students who see UVA as their #1. They apply ED, and even the ones applying EA are fairly certain of where they stand by mid-Feb. It helps shape their focus, and yes, 18 yr olds do begin to fall in or out of love with schools that show them love back (even if it’s just emails or mailings that are sent to do just that).

I know we’re shouting into the wind, as UM fills their classes with tremendous students and likely doesn’t care that they put off others. I just wish that, with another one coming up the pike in a few years, they’d either revise their EA process to be transparent and less mind-wrenching…or just forget about the almighty yield and analyze EA candidates as most other schools do- on merit.

3 Likes

How much of the issue is U-M being a bit of a victim to the senseless “I need to use my ED/ED2” mentality?

So many kids ED/ED2 to schools that are NOT REALLY their #1 choice under the (mistaken?) belief that doing so improves their chances of being admitted. I’ve long suspected that U-M is simply waiting for students accepted ED/ED2 elsewhere to withdraw their applications before sending out EA acceptances. No sense in accepting a bunch of kids that are obligated to attend some other school.

3 Likes

I’d argue they’re related but not directly connected. ED clearly delivers improved chances at just about every peer school that offers it (some by 20% or so), and every GC strongly urges those students who can apply ED TO apply ED. UVA has reacted to this conundrum by installing ED as an option, allowing them to compete on equal footing with the other elite ED schools. I also would argue that most ED1 schools are the kid’s first choice. ED2 might have a little game theory mixed in.

2020 and prior, UM was the #1 for a bunch of kids in our HS. They delivered their postponements in December, and by Feb/March everyone had heard- prior to the onslaught of remaining RD rounds. Kids are going to ED. I am somewhat confident that UM’s EA switch from December to Feb has everything to do with what you say- allowing ED accepted students to pull their apps. But then just treat EA as a real thing, not a “I don’t believe you’ll come here, so we’re going to blast you into the RD range before looking at you seriously”. That’s the kicker. Basically the school telling our D that they don’t really care to look at her right now because they don’t believe her interest is real yet.

Again, I understand the institutional approach to this process. I’m just saying that it is off-putting to many students. I’m very active on this thread, but my D is “almost done” with UM unless she gets into Ross. Because peer schools accepted her in a transparent process and are bombarding her with all of the things to look forward to. While we’re pushing for her to keep it as a real option if she is accepted, human nature for teenagers is human nature.

3 Likes

Totally agree about Purdue! DS22 was admitted to Purdue honors FYE. We have received so much information from Purdue on a variety of topics. Very, very helpful. He was also admitted to UM CoE in January and to this point has not received the same level of information. It’s an interesting contrast which I think benefits Purdue. Hopefully that changes.

5 Likes

No one knows for sure that decisions are coming out tomorrow. It’s all speculation (as usual). But probably highly likely.

The last minute decision is also not good planning. It was my DS number one but we have now had to book airline tickets to other schools and attend their admitted students day. Feels like students who plan EA and are deferred also miss out on admitted students events. I doubt we will have the opportunity to fly out to Michigan if accepted.

5 Likes

Agree, there are only so many Fridays/weekends left to travel before decisions must be made, and at this point campus tours and events are fully booked anyway.

3 Likes

Yes, definitely an issue. Also, does anyone know if deferred students are considered for merit scholarships and/or honors programs?

@sushiritto or @Knowsstuff would you happen to know? Thanks

To be honest, long deferrals especially from an EA round feel more like a wait-list than a deferral. At some point students and parents get turned off no matter how enthusiastic they may have been at the beginning. It’s not just Michigan. Pretty much any of the top 50 schools can construct the class they want but it doesn’t make the process reasonable. I personally am ready to move on but my S22 still has Michigan near the top of his list.

5 Likes

Good luck to you kiddo!! Very impressed with your maturity. May your endeavors yield success which ever college you end up at

2 Likes

The difference is also transparency. Throw a dart at the so-called “top 25” schools, and the overwhleming majority have a very specific timeline as to when decisions will come out. They may not have an exact date, but they will have a “by …” date and a recent history that shows approximately when that decision comes out. Almost all of them adhere very closely to that, so students have a very strong understanding of when they will hear.

For example, our D heard from UVA and UNC with very specific responses. Accepted UNC, deferred UVA. But UVA deferral is not a kick because she wasn’t considered. She was considered, and understands her chance of acceptance in the RD round is in the 10% range. Clear. She knows when she’s likely to hear from all other colleges…except UM. Yes, they have the “by April 1” but that’s not really apples/apples since she applied EA and has had no interaction with her application to give her any real sense of her chances.

I’m ranting, but it bothers me that there’s no adult in the room who has said “guys, I know this might be efficient for us, but it’s killing the students to string them along for months. Other schools do it X or do it Y and it works” and go from there. The only reason I can think of is their rumored infatuation with yield.

6 Likes