UMich Ann Arbor Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

I’d like to know too :grin:

1 Like

Maybe to help, I think the original thread may have gotten lost in translation. The original point made was about why Michigan releases decisions in several waves, with the poster speculating that it’s done to help manage yield. The response was that this does not seem to be a valid explanation because Michigan would gain no additional insight about yield since everyone still has until May 1st to decide regardless of when they receive an admissions decision.

Then your response to the second comment seemed to validate their point. If Michigan is so good at predicting yield, then they don’t need to use wave releases to help manage yield. I think the initial question remains, why has Michigan historically used multiple waves of admissions decisions.

2 Likes

perhaps just used to doing that from their days as a rolling admissions school ?

1 Like

Exactly what I was thinking! They were rolling for sooo long! This is just a way to straddle the line I think.

A friend of my daughter was accepted today at 4pm. SMTD.

SMTD has different timelines. So they are happy that can still go to school together. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Have any nursing students gotten accepted today?

A decision release on a Monday? Strange. By the way what is this for?

I don’t understand the premise. Admissions decisions are being made before 5/1. Everyone has until 5/1, but not everyone waits that long.

Keep the faith annieland!!! Good things come to those who wait. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

See my post above. That’s a question for Michigan. One thing I’ll add is that any predictive model isn’t perfect and every year is not same as last. See Cal Berkeley.

I’m moving on.

Is there a possibility there is a release this Friday or next Friday 3/18 since that is a Ross release date?

I am not defending UM’s approach, however, your question is interesting. In effect, you are suggesting the current approach is successful- so therefore, why can it not be changed…??
Are you answering your own question, i.e., does UM believe this approach benefits them

We don’t really know what percentage waits or how long they wait (most probably wait until April when regular decisions have been released), which would be after Michigan has released its decisions. But it doesn’t matter, since as you say, Michigan is so good at predicting yield, so why don’t they just have a single admissions date? Most other schools can do the calculus without using multiple waves.

1 Like

There is no reason to believe that it is not possible.

1 Like

As the old expression goes “All models are wrong, but some are useful.”

1 Like

I am

Musical Theater and they started making calls for that last week.

Not sure how I’m answering my own question. Your premise is that Michigan is successful, thus the wave approach must be helping Michigan successfully manage yield, so why would it change. My question, and the question asked by others, is how does the wave approach actually help Michigan successfully manage yield/enrollment goals? Why does Michigan do it this way when many others schools, which also successfully manage their enrollment goals, do not. The answer could be that the chosen approach has nothing to do with managing yield. Could be that’s just how they decide to release decisions because the head of admissions likes to periodically drop unannounced surprises; they think it’s fun. Could be that they process applications in batches and release when a batch is ready. But I have yet to hear a convincing argument to support the premise that Michigan does it to manage yield/enrollment, which was the point made that started this line of conversation.

No- not my premise at all. I specifically said I was not defending its tactics.
I used "successful" as a proxy for your comment; “if Michigan is good at predicting yield”.
My point being if UM believes this approach helps them- they will not change, i.e., “have a single admissions date”. Whether it actually does or not is irrelevant

Understood. I believe we can agree that we don’t know why they do it and that some, dare I say many, find it frustrating.

1 Like