UMich Ann Arbor Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

Honestly…have no problem with the EA first wave of in-state and a select few OOS, then multiple waves in March leading up to the final RD in late March/early April. Essentially, the timeline of the limited post-Covid…which mirrors pre-Covid in everything except for the initial start date of Feb instead of December. Just be transparent and ANNOUNCE THE DATES in advance.

7 Likes

Agree. It really isn’t that hard to be transparent.

3 Likes

Fascinated?

Interesting. So you are on this page without having skin in the game to watch parent reaction? I wouldn’t be on a page without any interest. Do you have an older kid at Michigan?

2 Likes

LIKE THIS:

5 Likes

Yes. That’s all we really ask. The hours-long “refresh, refresh” and the waiting is excruciating for so many of these kids. “At XXX we will release a decision wave at 3pm EST. Due to the volume of applications, you may or may not be included in this wave. For those who do not receive a decision at this time, it has no bearing on your decision. Your application is being fully considered and you will receive notice in one of the coming waves.” Or something a little more delicate, but transparent. Will kids still stress? Absolutely. But it will be an immediate stress that will provide them clarity. Did I get notification? No? Darn. I have to wait for the next wave. As opposed to spending so much energy on the “when”.

8 Likes

I also really appreciate the UK system, which explains why an applicant is not successful. We are still waiting on a few applications, but I’ve seen posts of denials that state “you were not successful because your personal statement was not strong enough” or “grades were too low for the program”. At least it shows there was some method.

6 Likes

The third sentence you wrote is my favorite!! The feeling that if you were not in the last wave breeds more hopelessness for us than stress.

1 Like

Question - if anyone knows - my daughter was deferred in the EA round. After being accepted at UNC (and Honors Carolina and assured admit to Kenan Flagler); and UVA (Echols Scholar), she is no longer interested in UMich. I don’t have access to her portal so I can’t see this for myself, but she said that when she went to withdraw her application, they asked if she was enrolling at another institution. She clicked “yes” and then it asked for the name of the institution, and it was a required field - i.e., she couldn’t continue the withdrawal process without completing it. Well, she doesn’t know where she is enrolling yet as she is still waiting on Ivy Day and some other schools, but she knows she is no longer interested in Michigan and wants to do the right thing and withdraw her app. I find this very odd and perhaps she read something wrong, but just thought I would check on this thread and see if anyone is familiar with it. I’m sure she could call someone or email them or talk to her college counselor etc. , but I would think it would be a simple click of a button!

3 Likes

That is so kind of your daughter! If it’s a free-text field I’d think it would be fine to say “still deciding”. If it’s a drop-down of every college in the world…then I don’t have an answer. Best of luck to your kid on Ivy day and in decision-making.

1 Like

If it’s a list of colleges, just pick OSU :slight_smile:

10 Likes

While I cannot speak specifically for Michigan, when my S20 was accepted ED to his first choice and we had to withdraw his other applications, most also asked which institution he planned to attend.
I don’t think this is uncommon, and guess it used as a reference point for the school you are withdrawing from (ie., Michigan) to better understand which other institutions they are losing candidates to.
I would not be overly concerned and just choose one of those options so that she may withdraw her application if she is certain she is no longer interested in Michigan.

1 Like

Very clearly, nice. Why couldn’t just like that?

Is American University more focus on math and science major? Or just popular for journalism, public communication or marketing etc

Would LOVE this.

1 Like

I’m not really sure TBH! My D22 applied (I think?) to the School of Public Affairs. She is going international policy/pre-law. It’s not in her top 5 so I haven’t paid much attention …
All said, we appreciate the transparency of American’s process.

RIGHT? UCAS schools (UK’s equivalent of the common app) are also rolling and generally you hear back 4-8 weeks. She’s heard back from 2, still waiting on 3. But of the 3 she is waiting on, she has gotten “update” emails to let her know what is going on. Love the Brits’ communication style!! When they send denials, they apparently state: “Your application was unsuccessful” - but then you can click in and see the reason.

1 Like

I have an identical situation. UMich EA-postponed and UNC (assured admit to KF), UVA (echols), WashU, GT, etc and waiting for Ivy Day. And I also have lost interest in UMich. I am also planning to withdraw and will put one of the college names in the required field.

5 Likes

My kid withdrew and put their most likely to attend school (95% sure) even though they haven’t committed and are waiting on a number of other schools.

3 Likes

I am sure just putting in any school is fine… I think my daughter just feels a little weird about saying “I am going to attend UVA”, for example, when she is still hoping for some other acceptances. I know it might sound silly, but I think she doesn’t want to put any kind of statement like that into the universe while still waiting! :slight_smile:

4 Likes