UMich Ann Arbor Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

I don’t think we even had college counseling when I was in high school. You pretty much went to the college nearby, filled out a paper application, and had no concern if you would be accepted!

4 Likes

keep in mind that last year they overenrolled- hence why the crickets this year

2 Likes

I don’t see where they’ve been any more communicative in the past.

1 Like

Lol. My wife applied to only “1” college. Michigan. Times have definitely changed…

3 Likes

Our kids would be horrified!!

does anyone know when they will try to release postponed EA applicants (specifically for LSA)?

I don’t want to be a smart a…, but if they took 68 (normal in normal times) off from the waitlist, then how could have they been over-enrolled?

If Michigan did over-enroll, then I missed that news.

Now if you want to argue they’ve over-enrolled for this cycle, then that’s a reasonable hypothetical at least at this juncture though I sincerely doubt it.

1 Like

Yep. Pretty much par for the course.

i just meant why there are seemingly less waves this year
communication is definitely not their strong point

I agree with you :100:

You are the stats guy so I had to go back and look at the numbers. I get what you are saying about if they took 68 why would it be over-enrollment. It’s what I had heard but you are correct it would be a head scratcher. I looked at the data after this to see the numbers. They did take a lot more and enroll a lot more last year than previous years. It’s maybe what I tell myself to rationalize why we are not hearing anything and why they may be so cautious.

2018-19 CDS Waitlist offers- 415- 7% #freshman enrolled 6664
2019-20 CDS Waitlist offers- 89- 2% #freshman enrolled 6814
2020-21 CDS Waitlst offers -1248 - 13% #freshman enrolled 6835
2021-22 CDS waitlist offers- 68 - 1% #freshman enrolled 7251

This year (2020-2021) isn’t really a good year to use for any college’s CDS. When the pandemic began in March 2020, most of us were scared, almost everything shutdown, and “we” didn’t want to travel anywhere. And that included OOS applicants.

Yield went down to 41% in 2020-2021, but then popped back up to 45% last cycle (2021-2022), which has been Michigan’s usual “sweet spot” in recent years. So, while Michigan welcomed their largest class last year, they did so with a normal yield of 45% and also taking 68 applicants from the WL. That seems to indicate they planned for the larger class, but what do I know, I’m not a GC or an AO. Just an opinion. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Michigan enrolled its biggest class ever last year.

They didn’t go to the waitlist to meet overall enrollment targets; they likely had gaps in specific programs.

https://record.umich.edu/articles/u-m-enrollment-this-fall-tops-50000-for-first-time/

4 Likes

I’ll have to disagree. Yes, I’m aware of that they had their biggest class ever, but from that article that you linked:

The article below is from May 2020, where Michigan targeted 7,200 in the freshman class:

My point is that they’ve been planning to increase their enrollment for years, according to the article, since 2014. Per the article, Michigan “purposefully increased” enrollment. Michigan enrolled 6,879 in 2020-2021 (when the pandemic began), but they planned for 7,200 freshman students, a target they hit for 2021-2022.

And the “admitted from the WL” has almost always been relatively small, under 500, but for the 2020-2021 pandemic year. As examples, Michigan admitted 36 from the WL per the 2016-2017 CDS, 89 in 2019-2020, 68 last year, etc.

Of course, they’re filling in programs, that’s what they’ve planned and done for years, but at the same time, Michigan desired to increase class size from 6,500 to 7,200 over many years. I believe they had success with their enrollment management, although at the same time, they leave deferred applicants waiting and frustrated.

4 Likes

Is there a breakdown by school? Interested to see if they admitted any off the waitlist from Kinesiology given the choice to take a waitlist spot or immersion program.

By early April.

1 Like

Since this is such an active thread ( and has no affect on U Mich EA 2022) wonder what people think of NY State proposal to ban Legacy and Early admission policies.

Story has been picked up by multiple news agencies. Colleges will fight this. If passed would other states follow or use it to their advantage to attract students? Although not completely it would be a reversion back to the days of how admissions (maybe excluding legacy issue) use to be. Less gamemanship in the process.

2 Likes

im aware of that, sometimes people know things on this thread and i didn’t want to scroll through 1000 posts to see if there were any updates.

Sadly, there are no new hints, rumors, leaks or official announcements to report at this time. Just the normal “maybe it will be this Friday” hopes … though those are fading as people get frustrated.

1 Like

The one thing we have all proven (despite many attempts) is that we on this thread know absolutely nothing about when decisions will post. I have been responsible personally for some enthusiasm based on second hand “wink wink” information, and have been dead wrong. Others have speculated based on historical and recent factors, and have been just as wrong.

Someone is having a cup of coffee in Ann Arbor, taking a break to read this thread and laughing at our expense. He/she knows when they’ll come out, and is not telling.

6 Likes