UMich Ann Arbor Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

deleted

1 Like

And don’t forget my daughter’s “vivid dream” about an acceptance coming this week. :rofl:

12 Likes

Ha. I actually very strongly believe a wave is coming tomorrow, but will wait until 3 or so to confirm! Good news is that the stress is starting to alleviate a little in our household. D is about to receive a huge amount of decisions in the coming days/weeks, so it’s easier to brush off a school that brushes her off.

6 Likes

DD22 is going to the admitted students tour tomorrow. She is a candidate for Ross but was not admitted. Does anyone know if she can go on the Ross tour tomorrow afternoon?

We just called - have to contact campusday@umich.edu.

Same. Good Luck tomorrow though we pretty much know the probable outcome of that one.

1 Like

Ain’t that the truth!

I’m not sure why what colleges this would really affect in NYS. Colgate? Skidmore? Union?

Cornell does not give that much consideration to legacies. It does (anecdotally) give preference to candidates pushed forward by mega donors.

The scenario is this - mega donors can advocate for a few candidates every year (not necessarily their relatives). Those candidates ED and everything else being equal, get the nod.

Would this count as legacy?

Columbia? Yeah, legacies get a bit of a bump but for whatever reason, in nyc anyway, most kids of legacies aren’t interested in staying in town.

1 Like

Syracuse, U of R, Hobart, SUNY schools, NYU, Fordham???

I really don’t see the alumni kids clamoring to get into those schools. Of course, small sample size. I know Fordham Gabelli grads who are very successful but invariably, their kids don’t want to go. Ditto Syracuse. Ditto SUNY. SUNY has great programs but is used as (sadly) a backup and an FA negotiating tool.

I’m middle aged, so the NYU alumni parents I know went when it was far from selective, so again NYC kids don’t want to go.

Rochester - alumni kids also don’t seek for whatever reason.

Disagree about Syracuse as I am from there and the alum network is huge, big Cuse culture, etc. The others I was just throwing out as guesses.

I know the other Syracuse grads but even 5-6 years ago, wasn’t so selective other than maybe Newhouse.

1 Like

Being from there, I wanted out and went to Michigan - but I think that for OOS who have parents who went to Cuse, there’s a big draw and it’s a great option for good students who don’t get into the more selective schools.

That said Syracuse has one of the highest tuition bills I believe in the country? That’s what my dad always says! Gotta pay for the new Dome roof right?

Yes, I don’t know about OOS legacies who want NY schools. The one school with large numbers of instate legacies applying would be Cornell, but non multi-year multi-million legacies do not count for much.

P.S. this is way off topic, but I am annoyed at the politicians who are pushing this. As an NYS voter, we have bigger problems than legacy admissions which are already going away.

3 Likes

I just got another “Entering Students and Families apply for FA” email. Anyone know if it means anything? I just thought maybe because its a Thursday and why would they send that to me just to reject me this month idk.

legacy status being a bump in the process may also be one proven way to protect yield, very on topic for this thread - but yeah, let’s get back to obsessing over a Friday wave 

2 Likes

Regarding the waitlisting
 Why does UM waitlist SO many applicants? Even with 0% yield, they would have two more classes full on the waitlist. It makes no sense to me unless it’s some fancy “enrollment management” algorithm.

1 Like

There’s no downside to doing so for the school.

It’s never meant anything any other time they’ve sent it out.

To provide “soft rejections”? Many other schools do this.