UMich Ann Arbor Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

But the point was LORs are written by a 3rd party whose motivations and capabilities shouldn’t reflect on the student. Put greater emphasis on essays, ECs or anything else. LORs are just meaningless and a person who is a go getter will have correlating essays and ECs and dare I say, GPA.

And test-optional brought in a lot of kids who would have previously been considered marginal or even auto-reject. (Or wouldn’t have even submitted an application after seeing their scores.)

D18 FaceTimed me this AM as she was walking back from class. Two things, there’s a new Kinesiology building, which I didn’t know about. D18 was passing it by this AM.

And two, it’s snowing and there’s A LOT of snow on the ground. :grinning:

5 Likes

So in Washington DC. Sent a message to Biden to ask if there will be a release today. Just got word back… He doesn’t know. :grin:

6 Likes

The EA decisions had come out 5pm ET, maybe then. DS would be checking every hour starting 4 pm. But I see no change in portal which makes me think that maybe its not today. :confused:

not to do portal astrology or anything but i got a message in my portal saying that i need to submit my css profile maybe an hour ago? which is weird because i know i submitted it, but i saw a couple people on reddit saying that their portal now says that too. it probably doesn’t mean anything, but i wonder if it’s indicative of a possible wave later today. at this point i’m convincing myself that anything is a sign :sob::sob:

I thought the portals were for the kids applying? Call me crazy, but maybe all this portal checking should be left to the kids. Just a thought.

2 Likes

I send a DM to Mark Schissel asking him the same question…he replied by offering me a knish.

2 Likes

i’m a student on this thread but i’m probably one of the only ones :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

8 Likes

I never had access to the portals of either kid. All I got were pics of info. That’s if I was lucky. :grinning:

6 Likes

I don’t even get that :joy::joy::joy:. Oh wait, I do get the tuition bill forwarded to me :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

5 Likes

There are actually students on here. We don’t have access. We just wait for our daughter to check.

2 Likes

No there are parents commenting on portal changes….I wasn’t asking students on this page.
Anyway, in regards to LOR, I’ve always been lead to believe they are private, at least I’ve never seen any. How do so many know they have glowing LOR’s? Is that just a policy specific to schools my children attended?

As far as I know, LORs are only private as long as one waives their FERPA rights.

1 Like

Oh yeah, and the building is gorgeous!

I thought each parent has a unique relationship with their own child based on factors that no one else on this thread knows about. Call me crazy, but maybe all this parenting advice should be kept to oneself. Just a thought.

21 Likes

Even then, there’s nothing stopping a teacher from willingly sharing an LOR with the student. Waiving FERPA simply means the student can’t demand to see it.

PS - at many schools, if the student doesn’t waive FERPA, most teachers won’t even write a letter. At our school, if FERPA isn’t waived, a teacher will only write a letter confirming that the student was enrolled in their class and received the grade indicated on the transcript.

2 Likes

That is way too funny!

I was wondering the same thing!

Yes we were always told, with all 4 kids, that they should be kept confidential and colleges would know if you had seen them or not. I just took guidance counselors advice on this. It wasn’t until now reading this thread that I realized people actually saw them.

1 Like