UMich Ann Arbor Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

Stupid question, but does it ever mean anything if a parent ever worked for the university? My husband was an employee from like, 2014-2016. But that’s not a big deal, right? Not faculty or anything.

Not a thing.

Heh didn’t think so, thanks.

You’d never be able to charge enough to rent a place like this to students to cover your costs… and all the inevitable damage and repairs.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if the HOA has rules against renting to students.

1 Like

shipman scholarship invites were apparently sent out on friday - either no one on CC got one or people checking this didn’t see my post because this thread is bogged down with so many other conversations. guess i have to figure out how to move on from michigan now - GT offered scholarship and UF (in-state school) offered so much scholarship i’d get paid 10-15k/year so as much as i want to go to michigan more than anywhere else, it would make no sense to pay for it over those two options. anyone have any advice on how to move on from michigan if it’s practically a part of your identity?:sweat_smile:

3 Likes

You’ve got some amazing options and to graduate debt-free is an opportunity that few have. Congratulations.

3 Likes

You’re going to make a NEW identity. Just think of how exciting that will be!

2 Likes

UF is fantastic- Go Gators! Go for visit on an admitted student day (if there is one) and they will make you excited to be there. CONGRATS!! you are in a uniquely fantastic position.

3 Likes

UF is amazing!!! Congrats. :crocodile::crocodile:. I see a great new identity in your future.

2 Likes

I hear students love UF and it is similar to Michigan with lots of school spirit. My daughter applied there and was accepted but she actually prefers a college in a cold climate. Even for OOS students, tuition is very reasonable at UF. Good luck!

2 Likes

UF in-state is a great bargain!

2 Likes

Were they sent out via email or snail mail?
Sent to theor umich accounts?

thank you all! i am visiting both UF and GT in the next 2-3 weeks and am hoping I will fall in love with one of them. getting paid 15k/year is definitely near impossible to turn down. it’s just breaking my heart to have to move on from michigan! everything i worked for in high school was ultimately with the goal of achieving scholarship there and i even had a COE AO push me towards applying to COE instead of LSA or Kinesiology as home school because she was going to put in a rec for me to the scholarship office - guessing she never did that. i wish michigan gave more than they do:(

2 Likes

i believe email

1 Like

I just spoke to the nicest guy when I called UM Admissions. He said there will be one release by early April. He acknowledged that there was a small release earlier this month that was not limited to in-state. He also said that about half of their acceptances have gone out and if you weren’t accepted in EA, you still have a shot because there will be an equal amount of acceptances. He also said also said that the release date does not vary by college. All will be released at the same time.

22 Likes

wow this is the clearest answer I’ve heard in a while lol. thanks for sharing! did he allude to a release this week or did he stress that it won’t really be until April?

The irony is that in the “real world” Michigan legacy counts for more than almost every other school. Huge benefit.

1 Like

Shouldn’t all of our kids be able to go to whatever school they want? Especially if they are a legacy? It would be so much easier…

Good luck to you! Both amazing schools. In the long run, I doubt you’ll see any/much difference in career opps.

There was one girl from our HS who received an aid offer from Michigan last year, approximately $30k. UM was her third choice. She’s actually at GT now.

1 Like

I think yield is likely to fall for all but a handful of schools. With kids applying to so many schools, they can only attend one. So the schools and kids are taking a gamble.

Admissions numbers can be played, but yield is harder to manipulate. Though some colleges do, with study abroad Semester 2 acceptances, guaranteed next year acceptance etc. Don’t know if UM does any of these. But, IMO there will be tons of waitlists and movement this year. Perhaps even more than last year when Covid was in full on mode and kids stayed closer to home.
I hope my kid doesn’t get a W/L to one of their top choices.

4 Likes