UMich Ann Arbor Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

Nothing yet, my D received an email earlier this week that said something like scholarships will be coming out in the next few weeks, by April 15.

Somewhere on the U-M website is a downloadable spreadsheet that will tell you exactly what youā€™ll be looking at; just enter your major and what APā€™s you have an what scores you recieved.

Much more so among students than I anticipatedā€¦teachers not so much. Professors very left leaning especially in freshman classes like linguistics and sociology. My kids who are moderate / right leaning said it didnā€™t impact their ultimate grade in a class, but many students felt the teachers views did lessen class discussion. They felt the indoctrination attempt, but it wasnā€™t overbearing to the point of ruining the class.

2 Likes

cmu, I only asked because UofM has the reputation for being the Berkeley of the Midwest.

3 Likes

Yes, Iā€™ve seen chart that lists all the AP courses and the threshold for U-M to give credit. My question is on a different point. I want to understand how U-M counts or applies that credit. Take AP US History. The U-M chart shows that a score of 4 or 5 counts for 4 credit hours. At some colleges this means that the overall on campus credits will be reduced by 4 credits (120ā€“> 116). But at some selective colleges, the AP score that meets the published threshold does not actually count towards the 120 credits. It only counts toward the Core Requirements and the student still has to enroll in 120 credit hours at the school (ensures 100% tuition $ for these schools)

Once enrolled, there might be a case, say, where a student is taking some really hard classes and wants to drop down to 12 credit hours for a semester (vs 15) or they drop a non-required class. If the university counts the AP credit hours (that met their published threshold) then the AP courses offer some padding and allow the student to graduate on time.

Boston College, for instance, ā€œacceptsā€ AP credits for 4 or 5 AP scores, but they still require undergrads to take 120 credit hours on campus - meaning there is no buffer. You simply can start at a higher level or take more electives with your accepted AP credits. Iā€™m not saying this is bad, but I want to clarify how it works at U-M.

No :slight_smile: :wink:

We call it the Peopleā€™s Republic of Ann Arbor over here. Butā€¦ there IS a small and somewhat vocal minority. Somehow Iā€™ve managed to live here for over 20 years on campus and in the community regardless. Seen some amazing and famous speakers, had great (but careful) discussions with professors and still got Aā€™s and have rarely lost friends over senseless misunderstandings. I have some hilarious stories too if you ever want to chat. I mean, seriously hilarious. Weā€™re good here overall I think.

1 Like

A long time ago I registered for a class on what was described as Womenā€™s Health. It was even a cross departmental course with nursing. I bought all the books, some were new, some classic and I was excited. We started all the way from the back appendix of a 400 page book on the patriarchal health system and how women are basically screwed from the start, it just wasnā€™t the material I signed up to learn. After a week I just dropped it, said this isnā€™t what Iā€™m here for, and took a great physical anthropology course instead. Youā€™re free to find what fits for you.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s not what Iā€™m talking about.

Thereā€™s an actual excel spreadsheet you can download for each U-M school. You key in the actual scores you got on each AP test and it tells you exactly what happens: which courses they apply to, how many credits received, how many credits remaining for graduation, Major requirements, GenEd requirements, etc.

1 Like

I donā€™t think you need 120 credit hours on campus because many kids graduate in 3 or 3.5 years.

Butā€¦one thing to keep in mind is that once you hit junior-level credits, you will be charged junior-level tuition. A lot of people are surprised in their second semester to have a hefty increase in their tuition bill, only to realize itā€™s because their AP credits bumped them to upper class status.

1 Like

Ahhh - I stand corrected. That spreadsheet sounds like what I want to look at. Will see if I can find that. Thanks!

This is common at many schools especially the top schools. They present AP credit it as a way for you to complete lower level requirements and be able to take more advanced or different courses and not a way to complete requirements and graduate early to save tuition.

2 Likes

decisions tomorrow?

1 Like

Right - Iā€™ve heard about this point and it needs to be considered as well.

I would also like to know what people think the probability is for tomorrow decisions.

5 Likes

seconding this question! any thoughts?

1 Like

We are planning on April 1st at this point and if it happens before whoo hoo!

1 Like

Whoā€™s got Michigan winning the first round? :1st_place_medal: :basketball:

7 Likes

I think that last day that weā€™d see a release is April 1st, because the housing application opens on April 6th, so Iā€™d imagine that everyone would have to know beforehand.

4 Likes

No one is betting on Friday the 18th? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I am betting on April Fools Day!