UMich Ann Arbor Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

I’ve heard that the U-M AOs don’t really want to be bothered with emails and information they haven’t asked for. So sending in his LOCI should be good enough (assuming he stated clearly that U-M is his top choice).

HAIL interviews are merely informative so not having had an interview won’t impact the admission decision, so don’t worry about it.

Good luck!

3 Likes

Thanks for that reassurance. This is such a hard process to watch them go through. Hoping for lots of happy kiddos in the next 2 weeks!

5 Likes

I’m not sure where it said that they don’t want to be bothered. Both my kids were told to go all out. Does your son have a regional rep? I’d be curious to see what they tell him? Ik my ea postponed kid has reached out to a few people, and I’m not aware of any negative feedback, if anything just the opposite. But I guess in the end we won’t know what worked and what didn’t.

I just have to give him an idea what to lead with - maybe the Hail interview (or lack there of). I don’t want him to call without a specific question. Not even sure how to figure out who is regional rep is. Like I said his GC is not helpful.

1 Like

Our GC said they (all GCs from our school) talked to our AO after the EA date and the AO said our students should not send emails.

4 Likes

My D’s GC at a private school in state talked to the AO about specific people to advocate their case and gave his email to my D. The AO had told her if it felt necessary with new and relevant information to email him. Our GC made sure that if we did, we would say that she recommended us and shared the information with us to do so.

1 Like

Must be different with each AO… no idea

1 Like

Yes! I am a Syracuse '92 grad, and my daughters all love 'cuse. My husband, on the other hand–a Michigan '90 grad–continually reminds them that he is not paying Syracuse tuition. It seems they aren’t smart enough for Michigan, or wealthy enough for Syracuse, so no legacy concerns in our house lol.

Syracuse tuition is a little more than Michigan but not that much more (especially for upperclassman)

1 Like

That’s what I’ve heard from a few people familiar with the school, including my D’s GC. “If it’s a truly significant update, write to them - else don’t waste their time”

But oops, sorry. I said something that can be interpreted as slightly negative about UMich. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

Sorry I meant I didn’t hear it from anyone official at Michigan. I’ve only heard it from people who heard from people. It is Definitely a choice everyone has. I just told my kids they need to be their own advocates, their GC aren’t going to reach out on everyone’s behalf. If 17 kids applied (all equal) GC aren’t going to say all 17 are amazing, and I don’t think they should have to. My kids chose to reach out on their own and I didn’t discourage it nor did their GC. Again it’s a personal choice.

1 Like

My D24 is a UMich student who got accepted in 2020. We never contacted an AO or anyone from UMich. My current daughter applied to a bunch of other selective schools and we never contacted an AO and she was accepted at all (except UMich-deferred) I agree that unless you have something strong worth adding to the application, no need to contact an AO.

6 Likes

I’m sure you’ve had some interesting dynamics during past years’ Final Four/Championship NCAA games!!! I was always inclined to root for the Blue, but then had people reminding me “remember where you came from”. :rofl:

1 Like

Anyone have a kid who requested to review their application once they enrolled? Curious to see if info they got after the fact made any sense to them.

Yes I agree 100% no need to reach out if you’ve been accepted. That could be annoying. I was referring to kids that are deferred, seems like a different game entirely. Sorry.

Yes, but a Michigan diploma has a much higher value. My husband is all about that. To be honest, he doesn’t want to pay Michigan tuition, either! Lucky for him, no one has gotten in LOL

My S18 in COE got his review now in his senior year. Got 3 points (0 being perfect). He lost points on ECs which is true. He was only dedicated to Robotics. He got in on June 29, 2018 :grinning:

My S22 got in EA and waiting for Ross. He has lot of ECs. Let’s see

1 Like

Congrats and good luck w/Ross. :crossed_fingers:t2: (I’m always curious about how many people actually review them.)

hi everyone! any hope for a release today or are we betting on next week?

1 Like

Thanks
Most of my S18’s COE friends did.

I am pretty sure Ross dept has assigned points to my S22 app and on February 18, there were many who had lower points than him. Or maybe his app never got reviewed…

Lower points being better

1 Like