UMich Ann Arbor Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

MSU has a really nice program and their honors college is really good with perks.

2 Likes

But a long time ago right? unless decisions come out before that lol.

weā€™re going to a couple admitted student days over the next couple weeks for schools he got in EA in January. Ramping up late March and early April seems to be the normal timeline - there were none offered earlier even though he got in then. I donā€™t think thereā€™s anything unusual for Michigan to have one on March 24. Just wish we could be a part of it!

Is this one of their ā€œCampus Daysā€ or something else? I havenā€™t seen anything else but my D22 very well may have and not mentioned if she did, lol.

Hey, we got The Internets out here in Cala-4-ni-A. :grimacing:

1 Like

Campus day registration is actually through the application login. Would be interesting if there was one coming up.

Yeah, D22 already attended a Campus day, I just wasnā€™t sure if this admitted student event was something else. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Congrats to your son! He has great optionsā€”all great schools with Big10 football!

2 Likes

Question for UMich experts - any insight appreciated. Our son got into several good eng schools- UIUC, UCSD, Purdue, UT Austin for Biomedical/ Bioengineering. We are waiting for UMich where he applied for Biology, not engineering as it is a reach for him. If he gets in (it is his dream school or wasā€¦the wait is too long) and wants to pursue Biomedical engineering later how easy is it to switch to engineering from biology. I have heard it is pretty easy and guaranteed as long as grades are good. Does he need to wait full year and take non-engineering classes before requesting transfer? Thanks in advance!

1 Like

My son transferred from LSA to Mechanical Engineering. Not sure how different biomed is. Applied as a freshman in February, I believe, and received notice in June. Best advice is to make sure he takes the introductory engineering 2 course sequence first year. My son had to take the electrical engineering one (which I hear is more difficult) because the general one was full. Other than that it was just the prerequisites like calculus and physics. His advisor should know what he needs to do - itā€™s not uncommon. Heā€™s not only graduating on time, he has a light course load this final semester.

2 Likes

Ok, I have a question, which is both specific to UMich and admissions in general. I donā€™t often look at the required HS curriculum for freshman admissions to each school, because we canā€™t change what he took now, and he applied where he wanted in the end.

Iā€™m pretty sure he has whatā€™s required, but only basic 9th grade classes spanned a year (2 semesters, thereā€™s also a short spring term). ā€œUnitsā€ pretty much means a class and not a whole year, right? Thankfully he threw in a foreign language for senior year and took Japanese I and II which he loves, because his school didnā€™t offer Latin which he wouldā€™ve continued from middle school. So does that count as 2 units for LSA? His history classes are all over the place, but I guess a term of Intro to American Govā€™t counts? Ugh, I gotta stop looking at his stupid grades. So many classes he was running a high A and then lost track of 3 assignments in a row and got 0ā€™s.

Anyway, just wondering how this works. I have 2 more kids (I do not see the 3rd even going to college, honestly), but the 2nd is doing more traditional school.

I bet none of you had to scream and nag at your kids over work habits and grades as much as I have! We had to take a whole 3 day seminar on how to let kids fail, and I think the max I could do was 3 weeks of total hands-off before completely losing my mind and yanking all allowances and privileges. Parenting is sooo hard when you have neurodiverse children :woman_facepalming:

2 Likes

Units means a class. So, yes, Japanese 1 and Japanese 2 would count as 2 units. Our HS is on a block schedule and itā€™s rare for a class to be longer than a semester in length.

1 Like

You should be proud of yourself (not hard on yourself) for not giving up on your kids. Sorry for taking the thread a bit off topic.

1 Like

No please, I should be sorry. Iā€™m just passing time and procrastinating like a kid. I know I did my best, and really tried to pick my battles and our relationship is good. But there were some seriously rough times for all of us, especially during quarantine, but I know weā€™re not unique in that regard. I still have to do a spot check on my kidsā€™ grades for allowance distribution, and Iā€™m always late because thereā€™s usually at least one which will totally ruin the rest of my day :laughing:

1 Like

Letting your kids fail is possibly the #1 most important factor in parenting. Itā€™s a shame many of us learn that so late in the game! But I saw so many very intelligent young men and women really struggle the first year or two in the professional world because nobody was there to save them. They couldnā€™t take criticism, couldnā€™t re-group from a misstep, and focused on the failure instead of the recovery.

Iā€™ve always said to my wife that I want our children to do a few things before graduating college- fail at a bunch of things, and go through a really tough breakup. If it stops them from getting that ā€œdream jobā€ right out of school, so what.

14 Likes

I 100% agree! Every major success story (especially if you watch Shark Tank haha) has at least 3 failures in their past. Well, maybe not stupid Zuckerberg. I joke my kid has the opposite of ā€œimposter syndrome.ā€ Any success he achieves itā€™s because heā€™s awesome, and any failure is obviously due to someone/something else. Iā€™ve tried to explain the Fundamental Attribution Error to him but it falls on deaf ears. You just have to really hope they LEARN from their mistakes and failures. His unbridled confidence has always been impressive yet extremely concerning at the same time.

2 Likes

Confession: I scream and nag all of the time! Doing less of it this year and happily, it has all worked out.

3 Likes

Oh thank Heavens. Iā€™m so jealous of my parent friends whose biggest challenge is calming their distraught kids down after an A- on a test.

1 Like

I have a younger one like this. Feel your pain!

1 Like